Connection trouble

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Fahol, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Fahol

Fahol Registered

Hello everyone, I post here because I've got a real connection problem, and I can't solve it.
    I got the Rfactor 2 beta, the last build (60) and cannot play online; when I try to connect to a server (I tried a lot on many servers) 2 or 5 min later, the "connection lost" message is still here and it goes back to server selection menu.
    What I tried: Reinstall the game with only one mode
    -Restart my modem
    -Open ports TCP and UDP
    -Close my firewall (windows firewall)
    I also checked with TCPView, to see what's wrong and I saw the IP of the server on the list, and then it become red and disappear.

Thanks for helping, I don't want to play alone with bots :'(

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
  2. addyduss

addyduss Registered

I have same problem but was too lazy to start topic about it)
    I can join like 1 out of 20 servers. And since there are like 5-6 active servers online most of time i cant join anyone.
    Reinstalled game on fresh system, restarted router, opened ports, connected to internet w/out router - same results. No firewalls, no antivirus.

3. Fahol

Fahol Registered

4. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

Try disabling firewall rather than closing. Then reboot, making sure firewall is disabled in Services.

Alan

5. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

Ok enlighten me. I see Orange as a sponsor but I always assumed they were a wireless company. Are we talking about using a wireless ISP to play online or are we talking some hard wire based connection.

If we are talking wireless (CDMA, 3G, LTE, 4G, WiMax, ect), yeah there might be issues. Wireless ISP are about throughput, at least over in the US they are. As such I think buffer bloat can be a problem the current rF2 netcode is assuming does not exist to keep its internal latency as low as possible.

That said, in my 9+ years dealing with these issues, in most cases, ISPs that have QoS rules are categorizing rFactor traffic as bulk (low priority) as they do not know what it is. I wish I could have reused the more "famous" rF1 ports but I wanted to have rF1 and rF2 server instances possible on the same piece of hardware without virtualization.

6. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

Hi,

I'm Tygernoot from Tyka who created the post that is linked above. Orange is one of the main ISPs in France, as well as a major mobile network operator. They use ADSL (i.e. wired) for the internet connection. Orange is pretty expensive and reasonably crappy, but other ISPs often use their networks so their customer support is often worse since they have to go through Orange in case there's an issue.

They are pretty dishonest IMO. E.g. they throttle youtube videos by limiting the connection speed (sometimes I could circumvent this using different DNS). They simply closed our connection when there was the G20 in Cannes nearby to use the bandwidth for the G20 (the customer service said at the beginning of the week that it would be fixed exactly at 18h on Friday - the time the G20 ended - but wasn't permitted to say why). And every 5 months or so internet cuts out for a week while an 'engineer' has to fix it in the central, which Orange won't permanently fix as in a few years they are replacing the lines with fiberglass, and in the meantime I have to get a 3G USB key to have internet access... Anyway, enough ranting about Orange, back to the issue :)

I performed several tests when I was having the "connection lost" issues, but was never able to pinpoint the problem other than Orange cutting off 'idle' connections. E.g. RDC was losing connection under inactivity and rFactor was losing connection with few cars on the server, while other connections were working fine (most online games, the connection to the late Tyka..).

In rFactor with lots of cars around it seems the problem often disappeared. I was hardly ever disconnected during the bigger league races while during practice I'd be kicked out every 5 mins. The disconnection also never happened immediately while being idle such as sitting in the garage, it was only when clicking some buttons (e.g. switching cars) or crossing the finish line or intermediate time line. This made me believe the rFactor connection was considered 'idle' by Orange although data was flowing through, so they could cut it off. Only when certain actions/requests to the server were made then rFactor realized the connection had been cut.

At one point I wanted to develop a plugin which would send certain data to the server as a sort of 'ping' to keep the connection alive, but I never had the courage to do so. Having to spend time to potentially fix an issue due to a crappy ISP is not motivating I suppose...

Not sure whether the above is useful or makes a lot of sense, but this is what I was able to find out about the issues.

Strangely though, recently the problems have disappeared and I am no longer disconnected from the servers. Not sure whether Orange changed something, but so far no issues in the past few months.