Use of rFactor in driving schools

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by gosmart, Feb 29, 2012.

1. gosmart

gosmart Registered

How about the idea above?
    Lots of "city cars" exist.

Would it be possible to model city streets, with traffic, lights, pedestrians ...?
    Some sort of rating system? Eg. minus points for mistakes.

2. worthy1066

worthy1066 Registered

I haven't seen a driving instructor that has a 350 bhp Megane with L plates on but I'll keep looking LOL

3. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

I think this would be great !! Just one track that has city streets with traffic lights, and maybe a few 4 way stop signs. And maybe a stretch of highway...it doesn't need to look breathtaking, just function like real streets.

4. FakeThinkpad

FakeThinkpad Registered

Me and a friend was actually discussing this a few weeks ago if rFactor would be a good platförm to use in driving schools. a business client who owns a driving school said he had looked around for something like that and had found nothing so I think there would be a Huge market for it.

There are a few things to consider apperently, one is different countries have different rules and regulations and there need to be alghorytmes that detects any faults and tell the user What he/she was doing wrong, planned routes that the user need to take to train on several different aspects and in a new envirement at the same time.

It needs to be a very sofisticated system for it to be of any interest to a large mass of driving schools, and the question is if rFactor is a good platform for it, it would take years of programming on ISI´s side to even start marketing, selling and hopefully make a profit of it.

I dont think we will be seing it, although it would be neat to see rFactor in every driving school for different countries, and then come home and use it to race down the nurburgring, one platform to master it all..

5. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

why would RF2 be a platform for this sort of thing??? RF2 is about driving physics...no driving school should ever go even near the realms of driving, where you can feel those physics.
    nearly no aspect, thats simulated in RF is important for driving schools.
    nearly no aspect, thats important for driving schools is implemented in RF (except maybe for pit-speedlimit lol)
    even something like GTA4 would be a better platform for this sort of thing...

6. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Well, I don't agree. Physics are very important part of every simulator, including virtual driving school. If one never been into a real car, with virtual driving school might get some feel about how to drive a car (get some feel of using steering wheel and pedals).

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Are you familiar of driving school simulators and requirements those must meet?

Here is some videos that show what it is about, check out related videos too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMuAnCC_Gdg

In our country at least driver has mandatory dark time driving too and as there is no dark time during summer in here, simulators are very useful in there, can't see how GTA4 could be used for such though.

Also I think that such increased sales could benefit ISI and also us in the long run, more resources ISI has more it can spend on rFactor2 game.

Driving physics are important at lower speed too, so I really can't agree on your opinion.

8. FakeThinkpad

FakeThinkpad Registered

I think you might be right, as computers gets better and better, storage gets cheaper we will see more 'all purpuse' built simulators. the techknowledgy and know how is already there, just takes time to develup and keeping it all up to date. ISI needs to grow wastly for anything like this to take place, but if they do I would think they have covered three major things, Professional racing simulator, Gaming Simulator and Driving School Simulation. If they are willing to risk, or have the sources to develup such a product I think it would greatly expand their business.

But it would be hard to keep up with niché products on features, better to have it diveded into three different products formed in its own sub company, very much like we have rFactor Pro and rFactor today, as a business consultant I think it would be best to keep a driving simulator niche on its own revenue/company. In the end it would probably be easier to buy a existing company with knowlidge already avalible and then merge the products, I dont thing thats lined up with ISI´s plans for the future I´m afraid. we need to keep in mind that ISI is still a rather small company with limited recources.

9. Bart S

Bart S Member

It would be great to have a free roam mode so when going in the wrong direction did not disqualify you.
    Surely gMotor can be used for a Test Drive Unlimited Massive Online Multiplayer Gaming mode afterall gMotor is the engine and whats already in it like race starts etc can be used for flagging going through Red Lights, Fuel Stops, Damage repair its already there.
    The physics of gMotor in an urban driving simulator will be untouchable and will open a whole new market for ISI and will bring in all driving fanatics Arcade or Sim Fans.

10. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

From game options just turn off all the flags, then you don't get disq.

I wouldn't mind driving simulator, but fact is that rF is built to be racing simulator.

11. Rocksor

Rocksor Registered

Don't forget the ai to learn what you need to know for your first drive abroad. E.g. the "Italian driver A.I." mod. ;)

12. blakboks

blakboks Registered

In theory, there's no reason you can't make a street course with Stop signs, street lights, and even pedestrians. The caveat to that, though, is that rF2 has been designed with VERY specific rules, and so far, there's no way around that. I'm guessing they want people to actually license the engine in order to be able to change the rules. So, things like triggers for hitting a pedestrian, running a stop light/sign, etc. can't be implemented. I don't even think there's a way to set up and use turn signals. Plus, the whole time, you'll be judged on your lap times. Which, I don't imagine many instructors would want their trainees to try to get a record time :D

So, probably, yes, if you licensed the whole ISI engine, you could set one up (and someone probably already has). Whether or not it's the BEST choice--who knows...

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

There would be so many things to change to do this properly that licensing our engine and getting yourself a team of software engineers would be the way to go. Not cheap...

14. MadMaxF1

MadMaxF1 Registered

hahahahahahahahhaha!!! +1

to convert a racing simulator into a learn to drive on the road simulator is one of the most silly things i ever read!!
    Rf2 is all about phisics while a motorschool simulator is all about signal and stuff of the normal driving on the roads....anyway is plenty out there of this kind of sim for motorschool..

15. Jazoja

Jazoja Registered

re: Driving school

Would be great! I am just thinking on the same idea. Maybe include a training track too.
    The scope of this project would be to experience the dangers of real-life driving as close to reality as could be, without the negative side effects.

Maybe write some scripts to simulate traffic by always giving new targets to AI drivers.
    Put in passenger cars, buses, trucks, pedestrains, cops, taxies, traffic lights, highways, rural areas, etc.

Dynamically change the time of day and weather conditions. (eg. follow the real world conditions)
    Make a random bump, puddle, etc. generator for changing road quality.
    Make a random accident generator which causes dangerous situations near the player (too).

The mission is to avoid accidents and learn safe driving, while always giving new challenges. (more and faster traffic, less time to accomplish mission, etc.)

Make some petrol station to fuel cars, service stations to change tyres, repair cars, etc.
    Maybe put in some damage/injury measurement functions to show the players what could have happened in real-world conditions.

16. gosmart

gosmart Registered

Thank you all for comments. I forgot that I asked the question long time ago.

@Tim, My thinking exactly, but I am software engineer.

@MadMaxF1 , Can you suggest some of those "sim for motorschool"? I didn't find plenty.

I had in mind some sort of track mod that would be city streets, and plugin that would influence behavior of AI with externally generated scripts.

Dreaming?

17. markshires

markshires Registered

I have worked on this sort of thing before but using custom in house software, and it works pretty well. One was used as a hazard awareness type simulator rather than actually being used to 'learn to drive'. It allows you to simulate the affects of drunk driving, has people running out in front of you cars pulling out etc. Another one that I worked on was for created for a University, which is being used for research purposes, it even tracks your eye movement. This one you actually sit in a real car and all the controls a linked up to the sim.

I don't think you would achieve anything, useful using rFactor as a driving simulation as there is no way that you can actual enforce the rules on someone driving, I have tried in the past to display messages on screen etc, but came to a dead end.

Creating the city centre model and getting it into rFactor would be no problem, making the other cars behave correctly would be the major problem one way may be to use custom animations for the other cars and set up different scenarios?