Tip; set shadow to low.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

Here's a little tip to potentially get a 20 fps gain; just put the shadows to "low".
    Maybe a lot of you already know this, but telling it for those few people who don't, can't hurt right?

I already put it in a topic in the "graphic" forum, but here's more reading going on it seems to me and 20 fps is a big deal and important enough, right?

I noticed that the shadows on low, gets me 15 to 20 fps gain and sometimes even more; medium is a big step.....and costs you.

Hopefully, some of you are helped a bit by this, good luck.

Link to other topic: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/4233-Very-huge-difference-in-shadow-settings-(FPS-wise-too)

2. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Better yet off. :^)

3. Nizmo

Nizmo Registered

I've been on low for a while now. Good tip. With the new build and low shadows, performance is very good.

4. Joshua Healy

Joshua Healy Registered

There doesn't seem to be too large of an FPS hit between Medium and High/Full for me, but setting it to low always boosts it majorly... it is the same for most other gMotor sims (GTR2, Race, rF1, etc).

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Indeed, off is better for the fps.
    I did some "research" last night, just some trying on all the settings round the track, not really scientific ;) and this is what I noticed;

Between all the settings, off/low, medium/high and so on, there is 5 to 10 fps drop, mostly 5 with peaks to around 10 better to say.
    The low/medium has a drop of at least 15 fps, closing in to 20 most of the time and peaks up to 40 (!!) fps. Average is at least 20.

Joshua, really? I never noticed that. Thanks.

6. joker68

joker68 Registered

Thanks for the tip. Never tried that before. Nice boost, I can play very smoothly now (around 75~80 fps - ATI 5850). Only things not maxed out now are the sun occlusion and the reflections.
    Anyway I hope that this can be changed back after optimization of the graphics engine, without loosing too much fps, because shadows are a great "immersion factor" IMO.

7. Tosch

Tosch Registered

1+

You should try the BMW-F1-2008-SE-Mod. The performance impact even with shadows to the max is much less because the car itself don't cast any shadows.

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I keep shadows off, those seem to be always in any game real performance killer, one that comes my mind is Arma, nothing else seem to affect as much as shadows, well of course resolution too but it only makes a hit to performance after going beyond certain point.

9. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Worked for me too. I set them to low , now I have 70 - 90 fps everywhere online with 20cars, triple screen, NO hdr ( i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz + HD6970 ).

Shame is, I have full shadow at iRacing with 30cars at SPA and Suzuka with same PC :(

10. mjmueller

mjmueller Registered

Just wait for more updates to come out. Remember it's a beta. Just look at what the build 60 did for fps. We will find the game will run excellent by the end.

mj

11. magicfr

magicfr Registered

I know, I'm just saying that so dev know they can do better.
    Ok I'm pretty sure they know :D
    It's reasures me to wrote this :D

12. Bart S

Bart S Member

5870 here -> everything maxed out, AA set to 1 with no shadows, no HDR cos both side monitors go black, and no FXAA, triple screen eyefinty at 5920x1080 I get 33 - 45fps at Spa graphics are fantastic. Its definitly shadows that need a lot of work ISI I even tried HDR with 2 blank side monitors and FPS hit wasnt that bad. Using software sync