Handling of car in Historic mod

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by fgubbels, Feb 19, 2012.

1. fgubbels

fgubbels Registered

Am I the only one to notice, but the car handling offline is more tricky than online. Using identical setup leads to more understeer and oversteer offline. I tried many times, I always feel a similar difference. Can this be due to some difference in ini files?

2. MJP

MJP Registered

You sure it's not the difference in how much the track's 'rubbered' in? Offline you start on a 'green' track, online is more likely to be rubbered in (depending how long server's been running and how many drivers are in of course).

3. g7usl

g7usl Registered

I had this too, it was like racing on marbles.

I overcame it by reducing the steering 'sensitivity' to 50%.

4. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan Registered

run with 10 ki and make a timecompression,let ki drive for 10min and start again,you will see you have a lot of grip .)

5. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Yeah, the reason for better grip when online is mainly that the track either already is more rubbered or gets rubbered in faster. The difference between a green track and a rubbered in one is enormous.

6. fgubbels

fgubbels Registered

Just check it. You are right, this is due to the clean track initially. Funnily, when restarting again and again, the track keeps the rubber and it becomes easier to drive on it. Great feature of the game!

7. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Yeah, I noticed that when I drove on Spa. Kept getting rammed by the AI early on in the race so there was a lot of restarting, leading to a situation where the first half of the track was nice and grippy and the second part was slippery as heck. =)

8. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Wow! Interesting. Another one of those realistic features that makes it much harder for the casual racer. Great, so now I have to practice for many laps (complete laps) just to get the track rubbered in. THEN I can learn how to drive on a rubbered in track. Then, Gosh forbid, hopefully I don't accidently reset the session and have to start over. Man, this needs to be adjustable when off line!

I guess the work around is to set the practice for 30 AI drivers. Go get a cup of coffee. Come back in 10 minutes to practice. If I then reduce the AI to 0 will the rubber reset?

9. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Turn time acceleration on and you can be done in a couple of minutes. =)

10. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I thought the Devs said the track rubbers in too quickly anyway due to a bug??

11. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

The track does rubber in quicker than would be realistic, but it's not so much due to a bug, they're just fudging it at the moment because the tyre model isn't quite done yet. It still takes quite a while to get a really rubbered groove going, even with 20 or 30 AI cars.