100% Physics Load -> 'Out of Real Time'

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by RS2, Feb 19, 2012.

1. RS2

RS2 Registered

With any car on any track I have a major problem that seems to be caused by physics processing.

After one or two laps (race or solo) the game goes 'out of realtime': FPS is OK (50-100 on moderate setting) but the car seems to be jerky and in slow motion. AI cars also start to have stuttered motion. Once this happens the only fix is to exit and reload the track.

I watched the CPU load (CTRL/C) and the purple bar (Physics) is generally about 80%, but if it hits 100% it remains stuck at 100% and the game is unplayable. Restarting the race does not help, I need to reload.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm using a laptop which is a bit below required CPU spec, but frame rate is not a problem, so I hope this can be fixed or worked around. (I see one or two other posts here with similar issues):

...Alienware M11xR2, i7 @ 1.2GHz & 8GB RAM
    ...GeForce GT 335M 1GB RAM
    ...Win 7 64bit

2. mikla521

mikla521 Registered

I have noticed the same thing....8 (4+4) cores at 100%! Before the update only a small fraction where used.

Running 2600K@4.3GHz

3. mikla521

mikla521 Registered

Seems to be my own fault...
    A bug in my newly created plugin....without the plugin, everything is working fine.

4. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

You are kidding, right?

5. RS2

RS2 Registered

I'm overclocking it to 2.27GHz, but yeah, that's what I meant by " below required CPU spec"

6. Vis

Vis Registered

i7s don't come as low as 1,2 GHz, they always have more than 2 GHz clock frequency

7. RS2

RS2 Registered

It's one year old, and designated 'i7 @ 1.2GHz'. Of course with the Intel 'turbo' think it runs at about 2GHz for games. I increased the FSB to get 2.27 GHz View attachment 1319

8. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Definately below :)

My blind guess - that might be the reason for your issue (as long as your system doesn't have any issues).

9. AxnJxn

AxnJxn Registered

I had the same problems. My Q6600 ran at 2,4 GHz and the cores quickly became too hot when on track (even without AI cars), so I installed a better cooler and overclocked it to 2,7 GHz. Never had those problems again since then.

10. RS2

RS2 Registered

OK, seems I should give up running this on my laptop as the cores are getting pretty hot.

11. RS2

RS2 Registered

Fixed. This may be of use to others using laptops....
    Heat was not exactly the problem; with i7 laptops the TDP (Thermal Design Power) setting is really low to maintain battery life. My laptop was hitting TDP of 10W after which 'turbo boost' is throttled back (CPU drops below 2Ghz) for a while.
    Using Throttlestop to push TDP up to 30W got rid of all my slow-down issues ;)