FPS boost, but still experiencing stuttering

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by a1gpmatty, Feb 18, 2012.

1. a1gpmatty

a1gpmatty Registered

Thanks for the update ISI. I have noticed an increase in FPS but I am still experiencing stuttering. It does not occur as frequently as in the previous version, but the game does not run smoothly.

Thanks for the update,

Matthew

P.S. Here are my system specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 940 3,0 ghz
    4GB RAM
    WIN7 64-BIT
    ATI RADEON HD 5700 Series

I don't have a wheel yet. I am using the keyboard of the computer.

2. Chopslide

Chopslide Registered

+1 on the stuttering although mine happens more than in build 49
    Good info that it is happening with keyboard only as well because it helps me to rule out wheel/Driver as the cause
    we have similar sys spec (yours a bit faster)

3. T.G.H. Freaky0Frager

T.G.H. Freaky0Frager Registered

same here. :(
    before i patched rF2 i have on Mills 1 corner with stuttering, now the same stuttering on 4-5 corners.
    on malaysia before patch 0 stuttering, now 3-4 corners with massive stutts.

sorry for bad english.

4. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Stuttering has gone for me. (GTX 580... 1.5gb of Ram) and framerate has improved quite a lot.

5. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

I have average increase of 15-20 fps(settings full), in some cases more. Stuttering is still there and it increases, when i ad more and more AI cars. It is a little bit less, but still there. Don't help much if i lower the settings, when there is for example more than 15 cars. Fps on average is around 60 to 80 with around 15 cars, but the game is feel like it run with 21 fps sometimes. Some moment is smooth, but next moment really stutter. On other side, when there is less and less cars on the track, the game become more and more smooth and stuttering is at some point almost gone. And at that point i can run game at full settings almost with no stuttering. So some optimizations in this area, would not hurt. And the other thing that help me most with stuttering despite all other suggestions, is to disable shadows. This area need a lot a optimization work to.

My spec.:
    Core 2 duo, e6600, @3,6GHz
    4GB RAM
    WIN7 64-BIT
    ATI RADEON HD 6950 2gb (12.1 driver)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2012
  6. Alric

Alric Registered

After the patch the framerate has improved by a mile! great stuff, I can actually play it now :)

However the stuttering is still really bad. I am running 3 monitors in SLI and its much much worse than in rfactor1.

Hopefully this can be addressed by ISI and Nvidia soon...... but that's the main issue that needs sorting for me.

7. T.G.H. Freaky0Frager

+1

8. N0body Of The Goat

N0body Of The Goat Registered

Experienced this in the last hour...

Racing online at Mills with the Megane, in-game FPS counter showing 50+ on the pit straight, CPU useage via Ctrl+C showing ~50%. Micro-stutters until ~50% into the braking zone, then smooth as butter.

I removed my build049 "player.plr" and let build060 create a new one.
    I editted the new plr to turn off replays; limit the rear mirror clip planes to 100.0; and turn the flush previous frame to 1.
    Because of the apparent FPS increase in the new build, I had upped car detail from low to high.

Going to see what happens with everything turned down to low/off...

9. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

Yup im still getting stuttering too even tho lot less now and now its atleast playable. Another weird thing i noticed even that overall fps is great when i go on main straight/pit area fps drops like from 90:s -> 45-50 but immideatly when i get thru that point fps gets back to good again, thats pretty much on all tracks.

10. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

My first thought would be there's simply more going in on the main straight with the pits and a large amount of spectators etc. At least your game doesn't dip to unplayable FPS levels.

11. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

Well its certainly not good thing either as that big sudden drop does make it quite stuttery. Almost looks like everytime i enter main straight game pauses for small moment.

12. MJP

MJP Registered

Have you tried lowering the 'garage detail' value under the [ Graphic Options ] section in the PLR?
    Code:
    Garage Detail="[COLOR="#FF0000"]0.20000[/COLOR]" // LOD multiplier when vehicle is in garage (0.01-1.00)
    I can't remember what the default value is, think it might of been 0.5 (but don't quote me on that lol).

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

It seems to me that the stuttering gets worse if the fps get higher........always noticed that, even in RF1.
    So it is not the GPU, it can handle -in some cases- 170 fps, but there is another thing that can't deliver the frames in time.....??

As for you guys; stuttering got worse because the fps went up.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I always have had this and noticed that a long, long time ago.

14. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

Well this definately is strange, lowered my settings a bit and now overall fps is like 130, but example in malaysia when i hit main straight my fps takes dive to the 40-45 range but then when entering first corner fps is back to 130 area and remains there pretty much all the lap till i hit main straight again :(

15. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Default is "0.60000"

16. banquer

banquer Registered

Hi!
    Intel 2500K overclocked to 4.3Ghz.
    8Gb Ram DDR3
    Ati HD6970
    3 screens 23"
    Game resolution 5720x1080.
    On rF1, with ultra resolution 100-150 fps.
    Rfactor 2 resolution to medium. 30-40 fps with sluttering. Same benchmarks with .60 version.

I hope this frame rate is by the beta version and will be resolved on realease version.

Cheers!

17. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

My low specs:

Core 2 duo, e6850 @3.0GHz
    4Gb RAM (DDR2)
    Windows 7 32-bit
    ATI RADEON HD 5700 1Gb (12.1 driver)

I aim to upgrade my rig at the end of the year so these specs will have to do for now.

In the mean-time, I am thinking to move to Windows 7 64-bit. Apart from that, what do people recommend I put my efforts towards to gain the most out of my current setup? I don't mind spending the odd $100-150 but any more than that I will just sit it out until I upgrade completely. Is getting another 5700 x-fire worth it? Or should I spend a few dollars to upgrade RAM? Or another option?

18. jim percy

jim percy Registered

I wouldnt be jumping the gun any time soon dude...you are at the recommended specs for the game...im in the same boat thinking upgrade or not,im going to wait out the beta period (and play with lower details) till we see where we are really at (especialy when there are others with much higher spec systems struggling to reach a happily playable level), i got other things i need to spend money on, and can play any other sim at max details with no problems for now.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2012
  19. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I'm going to have to join the stuttering group. I'm not sure that what I see is as extreme as what some of you describe but I have to say there is a disconnect between my fps reading and what I see in the game. With readings of 60-70 fps, as I pull out of the pits a Spa and turn left (for just one example), as the scene pans across the monitor it just looks "jerky" or unsmooth. I see this often at both Spa and Monaco. Whenever I notice it, I glance up at my rates expecting to see 20 or 25 but instead see 60 or 70.

i5 2500K
    8G ram
    win 7 64
    gtx 560 ti 448
    5040x1050 matrox TH2G

settings all full, max, on
    except opponent and player detail on high
    AA 2x AF 2x
    HDR off

20. T.G.H. Freaky0Frager

soulution for me:

set "Flush Previous Frame" in *.plr from "0" to "1".
    set option "Sync" under "Configure Sim" in Launcher from "Auto" to "GPU".

big thx to SeKa for the tip.;)