The first update - Build 60

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Also i would like to know how such a poor graphic engine (one of the poorest i've seen since 2000 year) has such a lag and heavy system requirements... I've seen iRacing, C.A.R.S, Race on, Game Stock Car Brasil, etçª with great graphics and low HW usage, and the problem is that i'm not seeing it change for rF2!!

2. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I would like to give some probs to the new pack-system. Placing new content is super comfortable. Same goes for this Update. Even if it had to be downloaded separately for now. Just place it in the directory hit the update button and you are good to go. Top-Job.

FPS gone up in a nice way. Was at 50-80 in the previous build and now its up to 70-120. I like that, haha, you should give that fps-boosts to every new build you release. Still get some micro-stutters here and there from the cpu, but the gfx helps for an almost smooth visual presentation.

AI got a bit more brain and that was really needed. So again, good job.

And overall I would like to thank you guys for that superb weather system. Spa in the 60s with sun-rain-sun looks epic and is a driving challenge par excellence.

3. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I gave you examples of not arcade games in my last post. Obviously i prefer a good physics engine but the eyes also "eat" too, got it?

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

ok now done this and had a play, initial impressions:

Runs smoother when racing which is a good sign. When turning on GPU Sync I get a an average of 20fps loss, however if I set this back to Off and use Flush Previous Frame=1 in the PLR then it goes back up, that to me is not what the following in the changelog states:

GPU sync is a UI element for the PLR's "Flush Previous Frame" setting. This setting is not recommended for SLI. (I do not have SLI)

I've tried Software & Video Sync but again have FPS drops at certain sections in track (not as bad as GPU though) although it is overall smoother than B49. If anything turning GPU Sync on is the same performance I was getting in B49, lesser FPS average and bigger slowdowns in certain sections.

Setting VSync to on in nVidia CP gives me much better results, the average FPS stays around 60 with no major drop offs and a much smoother overall feeling.
    EDIT: scratch that I'm getting drops offs again, cant seem to get an all round smooth ride anymore.

Plenty more tweaking to be done I guess, B60 certainly has improved the smoothness but I still feel theres some way to go before its "there" if you get what I mean!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2012
  5. Anonim

Anonim Registered

On my system It runs better with the new update:

gtx 580 matrix (95 - 100 % gpu usage post update)

- no stuttering issues here. I get stuttering with fxaa

6. Joshua Healy

Joshua Healy Registered

How can you possibly think that this is one of the worst graphics engine since 2000?
    Concidering rFactor 2 is using an updated graphics engine of the version that both Race On and Game Stock Car use, I don't think you really know what you are talking about.
    The graphics engine in the BETA isn't finished. The only one in your list that really has a case for better graphics in my book is C.A.R.S

7. Darkmater

Darkmater Registered

Performance is great and install went smooth. Best part of the update is to the ai, it has greatly reduced it ramming of my car in the rear. Great job thanks.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

More playing and I've come to the early conclusion that overall performance of B60 is actually a bit worse than B49 for me personally. I get more FPS drops on corners than I did with B49, even though the FPS is higher in B60 overall (even though lower at race starts) the FPS drops are more significant and therefore more noticeable when racing.
    In B49 with Flush Previous Frame =1 there is a more of a smooth feeling through a lap.

The AI (although I found good in B49) is very good now, shame I cant find a smoothness balance to properly have a go at them though :(

9. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Are you kidding me??? rF2 is years to reach the graphics quality of Race On, iRacing or GSC at least by now... i play them with max settings on... and yes, there are lots of games with much better quality in graphics than rF2! Replays just make me cry with such poor quality... hoping for better days to come...

10. oldschool1478

oldschool1478 Registered

Huge improvement in this build! Installed perfectly.
    I am getting average 10 to 20 better fps. All settings on max.
    The AI are much smarter, and more skilled.
    The physics feel more accurate. Great feel for the tires limits.
    My only complaint is still having to drive with my head clamped in a vice, ( please implement TrackIR asap! )

11. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I'm starting to think that it was much better to have implemented updates to the old rFactor such as tire model and weather... i'm so disappointed that i hardly believe rF2 is such a bad game after so many years of development...

12. zemaniac

zemaniac Registered

HUGE improvements on FPS: from 40 to 90 on average.

Thanks ISI, keep it up!

13. Rickard

Rickard Registered

What kind of settings do you use? I have the same hardware.

14. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Registered

Ok, so I reinstalled rF2 to see how the FPS are without the update.

Here we go:

Malaysia, practice, sitting in the box, 00 AI = 155 FPS
    Malaysia, practice, sitting in the box, 01 AI = 155 FPS
    Malaysia, practice, sitting in the box, 05 AI = 150 FPS
    Malaysia, practice, sitting in the box, 10 AI = 140 FPS
    Malaysia, practice, sitting in the box, 20 AI = 130 FPS

I installed the update again and my FPS are down again.
    After update during race the FPS are cut in half or even worse.
    There is something seriously wrong.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Having realised I'd copied most of my PLR settings from B49 I went with a default PLR and voila...much more smoothness around the track, VSync forced ON in nVidia helps keep it feeling alot smoother as well.
    Seems theres something I edited in there that did'nt agree with it, not sure what it could've been and unfortunatley dont have the time to hunt it down, either way if you had issues like me start with a fresh default PLR file. (backup your current one just in case!)

16. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Well, looking at your system specs, it's no surprize you think rF2 looks bad. What do you do, run everything on lowest settings?

17. Joshua Healy

Joshua Healy Registered

No I am not kidding you, but I do believe you are kidding yourself.

For a start, it wont take years to reach the quality of other sims because:
    A) 2 of the sims you mentioned are using the older version of this graphics engine
    B)There is an estimated 5 months left in the development cycle. This means not only will the graphics be updated, but the rest of the features will be implemented in that time.
    C) All of the games you mentioned are FULL RELEASE GAMES, games that have had their graphics tuned already due to private testing and then bug fixing after release.
    rFactor 2 is in BETA, not finished, still being worked on, etc, etc.

Also if Race On has better graphics, where is the night racing? Where is the HDR? Where is the dynamic (visual) driving line?
    I love the Race series as a whole but to say the graphics are better than what we have now in rFactor 2 is just being naive.

18. poket roket

poket roket Registered

Thanks for the update. Huge improvement for me.

19. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

No, i can play with high settings at 60 FPS without AI and it sucks!! I play all other racing simulator games with max settings and the results are far better... too disappointed...

20. Richard Bauer

Richard Bauer Registered

View attachment 1233

View attachment 1234

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.