nVidia or ATI card

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Feb 17, 2012.

1. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Yeah, great for nVidia and rF2, and now we're waiting the same official support from AMD. I'm hoping this can be realized soon :D

2. Christian Rosén

Christian Rosén Registered

Thx for the suggestion Bart S, but in the specifications for my mainboard it says:
    3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (dual x16 or x16, x8, x8)

3. Bty

Bty Registered

Even if it is "only" 8x it's enough for 6950.

Only the 7970 can saturate the PCIe 2.0 8x and by switching to the x16 you gain 10%.

ATI are doing a great job on the hardware side, but the drivers are poor. They manage to fix them for the big releases, but for the rest of the games you have to wait.

4. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

I have stock 6950 2 gb. Stock i5 2500k and 16 gb ddr3 mem.

I have turned everything on and full/maxed settings in the game. In windows i have application controlled on all those settings, and performance on anything else there and Multi Sample AA.

I get around 36-70 fps. And it works pretty good online and against AI, some twich here and there while racing but it's playable, but it bums me that I dont get higher fps than that, while nvidia users has it going real good for them right now.... DAMN YOU GUYS!

I could allways turn AA of, put som settings on high, shadows on low and so on. Would probably get me over 100 fps constant, but would look a bit boring.

Anyway, either card should be fine in the end, but as of right now. Nvidia have the upper hand on atleast this title. Hopefully we will get better drivers from ATI in the future.

5. Bart S

Bart S Member

Crank that biatch up John you should hit a 1000mhz on clock and 1280 atleast on memory its so easy and you will notice big diiference like 10 - 20 fps that will make your bottom line around 50 fps at worst.
    Are you using eyefinity btw, I'm on a 5870 and get around 36 - 70 on spa in f1 but omg meganes are crap, very jumpy so I dont bother with them, I think they are with 25 - 50 on my settings. + I dont have max shadows or hdr.
    Get it OC'ed I can help you if you want, tell me ur card manufacturer and I will sort it for you. My 5870 is limited to 1gb and thats whats holding me back if it wasnt for that I would be hittin pretty decent framerates, I will get a new card soon as eyefinity at fullhd require + 1gb easy maybe kepler or maybe 7k dont know yet will wait till early april to find out what the deal is.
    You really should oc thats what gfx cards are made for since y2k+. Manufactures just want to guarantee solid reliability and every card is different.

6. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

No eyefinity.

Well, I dont really OC that much these days. And not for a couple of extra fps. If I would be able to get 20+ fps from just decent oc the cpu/mem and gpu. Than I would consider it.

But hey, I have some spare time this evening, will do some minor OC on whole system and see if I get any noticeable improvement.

7. Tysonf1

Tysonf1 Registered

how do you recreate these files? Thank recreating a new config.ini and player.plr

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

6950s are stock 800/1250, companies are always releasing them pre overclocked for you already, usually in the range of 840 - 880mhz core and 1280 - 1320ish memory. So at MINIMUM shoot for those clocks.

Overclocking wont damage anything, itll barley raise your temp. Its adjusting the voltage to allow for higher overclocks that can affect hardware life. The voltage itself and/or heat associated with the higher voltage is what CAN (but most of the time wont as long as you do some research and keep it reasonable) affect hardware life.

Download a program called Sapphire trixx, its a very small program that will take 2 seconds to dl. And adjust the clocks and anything else there if you want then save it. I like to reset my voltage and clocks to stock when not gaming, 2 clicks of the button, just hit reset then apply, and 3 clicks to return to gaming settings.

Then download GPU-Z, keep it open in the background as it will monitor temps on 3 or 4 different spots on the card, click on the temps until it displays the max. As long as max temps arent getting too high you are fine. Check all the temps though, should be 3 or 4 listed.

I have 3 6950s (I never go dual cards, for me its either single or triple, as triple cards remove just about all stutters/microstutters that are sometimes associated with dual cards), and all 3 are running happily at 940/1350 at 1.195v. On top of that I also unlcocked the shaders on all 3 of them (basically turning all 3 into HD 6970s) so they are now at 1536 shaders instead of 1408, people commonly have to lower their overclocks a bit once they unlcock the extra shaders, with the full 1536 shaders im still running 940/1350.

These cards are said to be good up to 1.25 volts constant use (although thall be alot of heat and almost definetely would need watercooling) and max 1.3v. I see TONS of people in forums in the 1.25v to 1.30v range. Still though, I would never go that high as its almost pointless. Just like cpus youll hit a sort of soft wall where you need to add large amounts of voltage to get such a small almost non noticeable increase in clock speed. For example you can get 930mhz at 1.18v, 945mhz at 1.185v, but then to go to lets say 960mhz you need to crank the volts to like 1.25v or something, completely pointless.

Most I would constantly do is 1.23 volts, but I dont even feel the need to do that. Not enough difference to a near stock voltage overclock while adding much more heat.

The MSI 6950 Twin Frozr 2 card was STOCK at 1.21v. All HD 6970s are at minimum, stock 1.175v, they are the exact same gpu as the 6950. If you dont want to increase voltages over stock (not even to perfectly safe voltages) I would ATLEAST recommend to go to 1.175 v which again, is STOCK for your gpu (amd 6970 voltage, 6950s are undervolted because they are clocked lower and have locked shaders).

My cards are all at 940/1350/1536 @ 1.195v. They run perfect all tested individually and in trifire. I have tested with synthetic benchmarks (3d mark 06, 3d mark vantage, 3d mark 11, Unigine Heaven), high end games with heavy demands and lower fps, and low end lower games with less demands but the very high frames cause much more heat. Everything runs for hours and perfectly.

Now instead of searching how high I can go with my core clock at 1.195v, im actually going to see if I can go to stock 1.175v (or how close to it I can go) while keeping the 940 core clock and extra unlocked shaders. It would be nice if I can keep my current overclock at stock 1.175v. Regardless of core voltage, I should be able to hit 1375-1425 on the memory.

Remember, this doesnt give me an extra frame or 2 it makes big differences. On top of that, it also makes a difference to your minimum fps and your average, how often they go below a certain point like 30, or 60 or whatever. Fps are constantly going up and down, overclocks are always helping, its alot more than just for example "before avg fps 54, after avg fps 62".

Sorry for rambling on, if you need any help with overclocking let me know I can help you here in the forums or in PMs. :). Remember other than some freezes or other weird things on screen or glitches, overclocks dont actually damage hardware, its super high voltages and temps that do :).

9. iamukulele

iamukulele Registered

With my GT 440 i get about 30-50 fps with little to no traffic on relatively high settings, but it'll sometimes slow down to under 10 fps for no reason, and I have to restart the game :/ Hopefully there will be some optimization with future builds.

10. Christian Rosén

This was very interesting reading. So to get rid of the microstutters i must buy a third card!?

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

heres my Unigine Engine Heaven Benchmarks for my Sapphire 7850HD

Pre-Overclock:
    FPS: 57.2
    Scores: 1441
    Min FPS: 26.0
    Max FPS: 113.8

Post-Overclock:
    FPS: 67.9
    Scores: 1710
    Min FPS: 27.1
    Max FPS: 126.9

took the core and mem clocks upto 1050mhz & 1300mhz respectively with no voltage changes. Card remains at normal temps with no visual errors or crashes. I have plenty of overclocking to go with the card yet as I ran out of time when I did the above!

12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

This week I'm going ti buy this the SAPPHIRE - Radeon HD 7950 3 GB GDDR5 Pci-E DVI-I Dual Link / DVI-D Single Link / HDMI / 2x Mini-Display Port FleX Edition.Do you think that twith this card I will be able to run 3monitors full-hd?

13. GUBBA

GUBBA Registered

View attachment 3376 I have tried both ATI and nvidia, I will never buy another ATI as long as i live,
    I currently have 2 EVGA GTX670 superclocked 4GB cards, and are more than happy with the Rfactor2 :cool:

14. MJP

MJP Registered

It doesn't really drop for no reason, it drops because the GT440 is a fairly weak card let alone trying to run on HIGH settings. You really need to get a GPU that's more suitable for your CPU.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If the dual cards are the cause of stutters than most likely, there are many professional review sites and peoples experiences in forums that verify this. Google it :)

from tomshardware.com
    - "The performance of three- and four-way CrossFire setups not only surprised us, but also managed to utterly convince us that micro-stuttering doesn't have to affect your multi-GPU configuration. For some reason, the third GPU almost always eliminates micro stuttering and has a less-pronounced effect on performance."

- "I've owned both Tri CFX and Tri SLI systems, and yes its true Tri GPU has far less microstutter than dual, almost to the point its as good as a single GPU.

Theres a few reasons for this, one being Tri is inherently better due to the method of AFR with 3 GPU's and timings, but the other and probably biggest factor is that you are more on the CPU bound side of things with Tri and Quad, and when slightly (or a lot) CPU bound you get far less microstutter, even with dual cards.

So when you combine Tri's AFR method & timings with being slightly CPU bound you get a very smooth experience."

- "even in BF3 with SSAA for example and the GPU's being worked off their titts with 99% scaling, there is less microstutter than say dual with no SSAA and lower settings + higher frame rates. So its a combination of things."

- "I don't know if you are aware of this.. But when you use three videocards, unlike regular Crossfire, your PC runs like you "only" have one very powerful single card. All micro stuttering is gone because of tri-fire, this is also happens with Nvidia Cards according to Tom's Hardware. 3-Sli is like a single Nvidia card, while 2-Sli stutters.

With that said, I was stuttering like a son of a bitch, tried all drivers all that ****. Solution? Since tri-fire doesn't act like a regular Crossfire, I removed the damn CAP4. Holy ****, what a difference!"

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
  16. Christian Rosén

WOW, i didnt have a clue about this! I must order a third one asap so i can go back to simracing. :-D
    I havent been simracing for a very long time because of the micro stuttering, and the strange thing is i only notice it in racing games/sims. Thanks alot Spinelli for this suggestion!

17. Christian Rosén

Since i for some reason got a double post i can instead update this post with saying i have now ordered a third 6950! I hope my Corsair TX 750w powersupply is good enough though!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2012
  18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You might be able to pull it off with a tx750, but you might not, I definetely wouldnt overclock the cards thats for sure.

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

NVIDIA

IT IS A NO BRAINER for rF2 lol

sheesh

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I think your right, apart from the fact that nvidia people seem to get more frames for the equivalent card in rf2 (ex. gtx680 vs overclocked 7970), apart from that, ive read many times that when using super sampling aa, that nvidia takes much less of a hit than amd. Not sure on this first hand as I havent had an nvidia in years, but ive read that a few times.

On the other hand based on my internet research lol, it seems that AMD scales better than nvidia does as you add a 2nd and/or 3rd card to the mix. All this from research though as I havent had an nvidia card in years (will definetely consider them in my next upgrade).