nVidia or ATI card

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Feb 17, 2012.

1. taufikp

taufikp Registered

I own an ATI Radeon HD5770. Other games are looking good and performing great with this card, except rFactor 2.

To be specific:
    rFactor 2 at 1280x720 is performing poorly (low FPS, below 50 on average) and also the graphic is so pixelated and blurry, I must use at least 4xSSAA (big performance hit) to reduce jaggies from the scenes (or use in-game AA level 2, also big performance hit). Please note that I wrote "to reduce", not "to eliminate". Jaggies in rFactor 2, especially jaggies found in those white lines at the edge of tarmac, are so hard to get rid of!

Meanwhile, DiRT 3, F1 2011, FIFA 12, and iRacing do not posses this problem at the same resolution, and also they are able to use 4xMSAA to reduce jaggies/aliasing much better. In rFactor 2, I have to use super sampling anti-aliasing (SSAA) at 8x if I wanted to remove them from the scenes. Of course at 8xSSAA the performance hit is huge and I have to set the in-game graphic detail to be less than medium to get acceptable frame-rates.

So my questions are:
    • Does nVidia card's performance and graphic better than ATI (high FPS, no blurry images at 1280x720 at 4xMSAA)? If yes, which/what is the card's class/type?
    • Does ATI card class higher than HD5770 able to produce high FPS and also produce sharp, no pixelated/blurry images?

Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2012
  2. BigDuke6

BigDuke6 Registered

I think the graphics side of the beta has a lot of optimising to come in the future, so atm frame rates are a lot lower in Rf2 than most other sims. I'm running a GTX580 card and still get low FPS with 20 AI cars. Seen it hit 20fps and chug along at some hairpin turns where most AI cars are visible (that's @1920x1080 with 8AA everything maxxed but HDR off).
    So maybe wait for a while before spending your hard earned dollars, hopefully things will improve graphically in the near future.

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Lots of other posts on this exact topic.

We all hope some major optimization and improvement of graphics is coming. Yes, you have to use SSAA for it to look decent now. So performance sucks. Hopefully soon we won't have to choose one or the other. The SSAA issue was also there in rF1, though, so perhaps it won't get "fixed"...?

4. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

You know I'm not sure what's going on. My 5750 1GB outperforms yours in-game as well as visually, the difference being my resolution is slightly higher and a different aspect ratio, (1280 x 1024) which seems unlikely to be the cause of such a huge difference. There's no blurriness issue or jaggies to report. Part of me suspects it's not using the card's 3D clocks or similar for some people or just missing resources.

(1280 x 1024 @ 60hz, max details on everything save x4aa, x4af, no Vsync - 30ish FPS @ Monaco with 31 cars)

Out of curiosity what are your full system specs and what driver version are you using? I'm using Cat. 12.1s but started with 11.9 I think.

5. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Yes, I am totally aware of the graphic issue. I had conducted and posted my own 'benchmark' about this.

I just wanna know whether nVidia cards and high end ATI cards (higher than my HD5770) also suffer the same problem at 1280x720.

PS: Why 720p? This resolution gives me good balance between good performance (above 50 FPS) and great graphics. Also 720p is useful for making "movies" (my other hobby/side-job), since the graphic is already in "High Definition" format.

edit:
    @guineapiggy at the moment I'm using ATI Cat 12.2 (gives me better FPS). You may read my benchmark post, I posted my system and game settings there.

edit 2:
    @guineapiggy wow, you're using HD5750? :O

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I upgraded my card from a 5770 to a 7950. FPS went up but not as much as it should as I still have alot of the eye candy turned off/down. From what I've been reading there are a few complaints from 7950 owners about the 12.1 drivers in other games as well.

So yes you will get FPS boost but not as much as you might think. I'm confident things will change though.

Do you guys get a nicer graphics using a hdmi cable? I've tried that before with other games and didn't notice anything different.

7. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

That's why I'm surprised, my system's performance occasionally seems almost unprecedented. The two might have a similar answer as I've done a *lot* of poking around with advanced settings, changing my card's 2D and 3D clocks and so on and pushing visual quality up in the CCC, partially to fix a crash bug with many 2D clock apps at first.

Changing to the equivalent nVidia card might help but honestly it seems like hunting ants with a pistol. Still, if it's true that it's been around for this long perhaps directly contacting an ISI team member is your best bet. Hell, sounds like there are plenty who'd thank you for it.

OOC what happens if you run in that resolution in windowed mode or change your refresh rate in fullscreen mode?

8. taufikp

taufikp Registered

@CdnRacer I'm using HDMI, and the only difference I get/perceive is in colors, much richer. But this is a very subjective matter.

@guinneapiggy running at 1280x720 in windowed mode will make rFactor 2 indeed looks good, because my desktop is at 1920x1080, but man, it's too small! :D In full screen mode, changing refresh rate doesn't change anything.

9. Tin Can

Tin Can Registered

10. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Hehehehe, well, I can see why that'd be a problem. Seems like a fairly specific engine coding issue then. I'd say contact them and if you really get no joy or so much as a 'we're doing our best to find the issue' then maybe a change of card would do you well. The 7 series, meanwhile... I'd give it a short amount of time before you step up for support/price reasons so Nvidia might be your best choice with regards solely to rFactor.

11. Christian Rosén

Christian Rosén Registered

FYI OP:
    I have 2 x AMD Radeon HD 6950 planned to be used in Crossfire mode, and i must say i regret i bought them since cf isnt working as it should in neither iRacing or rF2beta. I DO get pretty high fps with them (even in iR and rF2beta) and they work good in shooters for example bf3, crysis2, arma2 and also Skyrim. The problem is that i get very annoying micro-stutters in iR and rF2beta wich isnt connected to the framerates (?). This micro-stuttering is so severe for me that i cant drive any of these sims when cf is enabled.
    I dont know what is causing this behaviour, maybe its something in the driver, my graphic hardware or the graphic engines used in these 2 sims, but when cf works its good.

12. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

The X-fire and SLI issue is a known issue with the beta.
    How does RF2 run on one of your HD6950 cards?
    I'm interested, because my last use of an AMD card a few years ago (HD4870) exhibited stutter when viewing external replays. The cockpit views were smooth and the colors were quite vivid.

13. taufikp

taufikp Registered

After the release of build 60, this thread is no longer valid, I guess.

The graphic performance (frame-rates) is rising high. The quality also much better now, although HDR is still too much and washout the screen bit too much, in my opinion.

I tried simple test after downloading it, and I'm very impressed with this update so far, graphic-wise.

This is my setting:
    • Resolution 1280 x 720, no V-Sync nor Sync.
    • HDR on
    • Anti-Aliasing Level 3 FXAA
    • 16x Anisotropic Filtering
    • All Graphic Detail Setting at High
    • Sun Occlusion On
    • Environment Reflection On
    • Road Reflection On
    • Wind Off
    • Visible Vehicle 50
    • FOV 50
    • Audio 20
    • AI in field 20

The FXAA reduced jaggies without big performance hit like SSAA (super sampling anti-aliasing). I wonder why ISI did not implement SMAA as well. SMAA has higher quality than FXAA, but still offers great performance. The blurriness that was so visible at 720p (that I've been complaining a lot) is now reduced as well. There are still some blurred scenes in build 60 but not as pronounced as build 49.

THANK YOU ISI! THANK YOU SO MUCH! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2012
  14. Novis

Novis Registered

I would like to see RF2 benchmarked to see whether it is an ATI or Nvidia favored game. If anyone can run tests putting for example the 6970 vs GTX 570 or 6950 against 560 Ti (or any other matching combination) I would take it as an interesting read.

15. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

for ati cards there's a huge improvment when using AMD Catalyst Application Profiles.
    Maybe when beta is over we all have a profile for rFactor 2

for example. Alan wake I couldn't play smooth. turned on alan wake profile and then. mother of smoothness.

16. hurricaneman

hurricaneman Registered

I just replaced my Ati 5770 with a Nvidia GTX 570 and it has made a world of difference. I'm so happy!! I have gone from 35-40 fps to 100+ with build 49 in both cases. No doubt, I've made the right decision.

My system is a Q9400 @ 2.66 with 8 Gb of RAM. I can' t still believe the difference it has made by just changing the graphics card. :)

17. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

To be fair the 570 is massively more powerful than the 5770 because it's newer and costs three times as much. The 6770 (the 5770 with new HDMI 1.4 support IIRC) can be found for edit - less than - £80, the Geforce 570 costs £240+. That's somewhat like comparing an F3 to an F1.

18. tomj421

tomj421 Registered

I am running a Nvidia 295 with Intel 2.93 CPU. Windows 7-64 8 gigs mem.
    The 1960 mod with every thing maxed out and 25 cars gives me 50 to sixy frames in a race from a standing start.

19. Grotesk

Grotesk Registered

but why cdnracer(look above)has with the 7950 so low fps and with the gtx570 more then 100fps?

Ive got a 5850 from asus and have also roblems like flickering and low fps

If the 570 is so much better i will buy it

20. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

It seems to be random, and not tied to the brand of card. I am getting good FPS with my 6950 2 GB AMD card, and the update made it better. Yesterday I used HDMI to connect to my 40" Samsung, ran the game at 1920 X 1080, and even at Mills in the Meganes I averaged about 65 FPS with most settings on max in game, shadows medium, blur on, road and env. reflections off ( big FPS killers ), AA level 8 chosen in the game config, HDR and FXAA on. On my 1440 X 900 monitor, I average about 75 FPS at Mills with the Meganes. A few screens at 1920 X 1080... ( right click the image, and click "view image", then click the image to see full size )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2012