Real Head Motion Plugin 1.0

Discussion in 'Plugins' started by magicfr, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

OK. So did some testing today with Spark F1 on Nords with my nose against 42" monitor. Probably worst possible configuration to start with. LOL.

Tried all the combinations below just to get a feel for how things felt with certain settings isolated. Head movt, look ahead & yaw are settings in rfactor control menu.

ear, g force, head movt, look ahead, yaw
    default, use = 0, 0, 0, 25
    use = 0, use = 0, 0, 0, 25
    use = 0, use = 0, 100, 0, 25
    use = 0, use = 0, 100, 100, 25
    use = 0, use = 0, 0, 0, 25
    use = 0, use = 0, 0, 0, 100
    use = 0, use = 0, 0, 0, 0
    use = 0, default, 0, 0, 0

With the last setting (Real Head Motion g force only), I changed the following two values as suggested by some:

PitchNegativFactor = 0.5 //--- For braking default is 1.5
    ForwardNegativFactor = 5.0 //default is 10.0

It was much better but still getting a headache. So I switched back to:

use = 0, use = 0, 100, 0, 25 (rfactor head movement and yaw only)

Which was great and I never had complaints originally.

However, I must admit that the first track I used Real Head Motion on was 70s Silverstone with the following:

default, default, 0, 0, 25

And was amazing! So I believe this plugin is superb and I just need to play with it some more before using at Nords which is obviously a rollercoaster.

Absolutely fantastic work on this plugin. Thanks! If (when) I get more time to fiddle with Nords I will share my profile with the group. Thanks again!

2. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I couldn't get Real Head Motion Plugin work well with Nordschleife too, even after altering the .ini for some time. Seems to be not that easy. My attempts are now ~2 month ago so i can't remember exactly, but e.g. at the right hander at BrĂ¼nnchen i didnt see the track anymore, to much force so i "looked into the road".

Did you find a good setup for nordschleife? Or anyone with a good setup, please post it!

3. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

How can I tell if it's working? There's less head movement, but that might just be due to the .plr settings.

4. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Hey Guys,

I guess the main problem is on big and long up slope, right? where the head seems to look too much into the cockpit.
    I'm aware of this problem.
    It's a problem in the way I compute the ground slope.
    There's nothing in the telemetry to get the ground normal plane, So I have to compute it from the data I have.
    And in this version I get lag between data I compute and the real slope on the track that I can't get directly :(

I will work soon on V1.1 to add other ground slope calculation, which will give better results for big slopes.
    I think I will work on that Friday night, it's not a big things to add, and can greatly improve this version of the plug.

If ISI could add the ground normal plane in the telemetry data, It would make my plug 2x better ;)
    You can spam then now ;)

Cheers.

5. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Yes, that was the problem.

That would be awesome, thanks!

6. vittorio

vittorio Registered

You notice it most that the cockpit (the plugin only works in cockpit mode btw) is moving alot more. E.g. see this video:

7. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

+1

8. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Do you guys have a link on a short track where I'll could test that quickly ( for testing the new methods ) , because Nordshcleife is a bit long to go to the big slop part.
    It can be a rFactor1 track.
    I thinkg somebody post this problems on some shorter track but I can't find the post again.

9. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Im trying to find a track this evening. Maybe the uphill part at Lime Rock is long enough?

10. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Great IDEA !! so I can do it on rF2 instead of rF1 :)
    Edit : will port upgrade on rF1 version of course ;)

11. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Just tried Lime Rock , can't get enough speed on the slope, to really get the problem

12. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Yes, same here.

Best i could find is Nordschleife. Its possible to take a shortcut. If you do a race and start at position 10 and drive through the red bus on the right side and through the fence (there is no collision detection) you win 50sec. Then the 1st section with a big slope is after 1m:10s (tried with spark f2). 2nd section after 2:10, 3rd after 3:50 ...

13. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Thanks for helping, I finally manage to get something using Megane at Lime Rock.
    I'm testing some statistic calculation like degression slope calculation.
    I will also try realtime low filter and see If I can get a smooth slope without delay.

14. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Hey Guys,

I read several article about realtime filtering, bad news is, all realtime filtering have delay.
    Good news, the better the filtering, the smaller the delay.

So I implemented the degression slope calculation with a slope extrapolation.

I'm quite happy with the result, the filtering of bumps is good as before with less delay.
    Also there now only 1 parameter for the stabilization , which is the filtering duration, delay will depend of this one, and will depend of slope variation.

Please backup you old .ini for older version.
    I'm stilling using old name factor before more changes if you prefer this method.

PitchFactor = 1.0 //--- Filtering duration in second, 0s-10s, more duration = filter larger bump but also more delay
    RollFactor = 1.0 //--- Filtering duration in second, 0s-10s, more duration = filter larger bump but also more delay

That's all :)
    I have uploaded RealHeadMotion_1.1Test.zip at https://sites.google.com/site/midid...dmotion-plugin/real-head-motion-for-rfactor-2

Tell me if you like it.

Paypal donation still on the left ;)

Cheers,
    Seb

15. vittorio

vittorio Registered

great! this is quite interesting, had to read some articles too about digital filter and delay, with same conclusion. (i've implemented IIR-filters some time ago)

thx for the test-version! going to try ...

16. vittorio

vittorio Registered

First impression: Excellent! No problem anymore on big and long up slope even with default ini. Tried with Spark F2 on Nordschleife. This was my best Nordschleife experience so far! Going to do some more extensive testing ...

17. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Great news :)
    I tested with F2 too on lime rock, monte carlo and nordschleife :)

18. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

I can't get this to work with rF2. The rF1 version works fine, but not this one. I have the .dll and .ini in the plugins folder, but it's not working. I have other plugins that work, so I know I'm using the correct folder. Any ideas?

19. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
  20. xoa

xoa Registered

rf1 for the new version would great :)