IndyCar Racing Papyrus Developer Group

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by saloei, Feb 11, 2012.

1. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

This is a jurassic thread. All here set AI strenght to 70% and still complain. lol

2. Novis

Novis Registered

Thank you for offering your valuable input. I'm sure I'm not the only one appreciating the display of your intelligence.

3. klaasvh

klaasvh Registered

Indycar Racing 1 was the first PC game I ever played, I can even remember that the first track I raced on was Portland. I was just a kid buy maybe that's why I'm still around.

4. tweaq

tweaq Registered

Man i still remember when i first played nascar 1 jumped on watkins glen and ran into the back of an ai car and the bonnet bent up. I couldnt believe it, was the sickest thing id seen a computer do at that stage lol. I thought id seen some sort of damage playing mario andretti racing but it was just through wishful eyes, this nascar 1 had 100% realistic damage!!! Best damage model before that was bill elliots nascar challenge lol.

Me and my friend did manage to flip a car in mario andretti racing tho. That was another of those holy **** moments. Must have tried 100 times again that night but never could get it to happen.

One thing that i do find odd is that really the damage model in racing sims has gone backwards since basically nascar 2003. LFS woud be the exception but it never actually had panels, the 3d model just squashed in 1 piece. Dunno maybe its the complexity of the models now days, compared to the shoebox-complex models back then.

EDIT - Actually could be wrong on mario andretti racing. Some 3d racing game that had speedway in it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2012
  5. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Yeh I agree that damage models in the 'proper' sims seem to have stagnated in the past decade. Really bizarre since crashing/damage plays such an important role in simulation immersion.

6. CrashMaster

CrashMaster Registered

Hmm ... I need to fire up my legacy box and put my rendition V1000 4mb to use... Indycar2 Rendition version (runs at 640x480) was amazing at the time it came out .. I went from running it at 320x240 with most the stuff turned on or 640x480 with most video options off to almost all turned on while still running it on a Pentium 100Mhz with 32 MB of ram and a Massive 1GB hard drive.

Ahh thanksgiving weekend November 1996 19 years old ......... now i am just getting old....

7. Crippyoh

Crippyoh Registered

This may be little off topic, but since someone mentioned damage..... Personally i liked elements of GTR2s damage , although iRacing and rFactor 1 did simulate some permanent damage sometimes with permanent steering pull now and then ...I like how in GTR2 if you recieved decent damage your lap times never really recovered fully cause of loss of aero

8. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I think they are talking about visual damage.

9. tweaq

tweaq Registered

Yea i did mean visual damage. I actually liked the gpl damage model the best even thought it had no visual damage apart from wheels coming off. Seemed to model things like engine damage drivetrain failures the best.

10. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I agree with you sims today do seem to ignore visual damage but Richard Burns Rally had excellent visual damage and that was released within the last ten years.

11. Derohk

Derohk Registered

thats because iracing IS papyrus pretty much lol

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

There wasn't huge numbers from Papyrus at iRacing, maybe 4-5 people I think. The 4-5 were major members though. Yes, I worked for iRacing for five years.

There were some sims that really changed things, ICR2 was one of them, I think rF2 will be looked back on as a turning point in the genre, too.

13. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Certainly if the potential of RealRoad is fully utilized it will be, it's doing things no other sims does with the track conditions.

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Absolutely. I try to drill home just what a big change this is for sim racing. It's the first time really (other than a few persistent or faked effects) any software has had/will have all these together:
    Dynamic racing line, build up, etc.
    Dynamic racing line, drying etc.
    Dynamic weather (rain, clouds, wind, which actually has an effect).
    Dynamic tire model.
    Day/night/day transitional.

Up to this point you really were racing someone's setup more than anything else if you were a good driver. If their setup was better than yours, you really could never beat them. Real racing isn't often about that, it's about savings the tires, dealing with the changing conditions, driving under the limit and not beating yourself as much as anything else. IMHO rF2 is the first time RACING has truly/will truly have been simulated.

I've put some things in future tense on purpose, as we do have some stuff disabled. :)

15. les

les Registered

Everyone at ISI deserves a big thank you for what they are doing, that is one thing in the forums i have not seen alot of, the thanks

16. Keith Barrick

Keith Barrick Registered

Love this post Tim, keep up the good work.

17. Tuck

Tuck Registered

I just registered on the forums to say that I'm absolutely thrilled to hear this! I'm already enjoying the beta and am very excited for the updates.

18. Toonces

Toonces Registered

Yeah, I worked with Papyrus on "IndyCar Racing" (later "CART Racing") and wrote the strategy manuals for both.

19. Novis

Novis Registered

Cool, You did a great job. I read that you were involved in GPL also, another highlight title in the genre. I think I need to find that Four-wheel drift manual and re-read it tonight.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2012
  20. tweaq

tweaq Registered

I think what people cant see now, or dont want to i dont know, is the immersion all of this creates. I raced for years and nothing beats that feeling of being the first to pull out onto an empty track in the morning on practise, or the almost meditative state you need to be in to push 100% in the wet. Not a single sim in i guess 20 years now has ever really come close to that until i played rf2. Spa in the morning with drizzle and a bit of fog is amazing.

Those sesions where it drizzles and rains then goes dry again are incredible, and while its not fully implemented yet, just the need to adjust every lap to conditions and read the track surface never existed in a sim before. Like tim said you are racing againsed someones setup right now, every lap you can push that .01 sec harder into each turn lap after lap without any doubt that things will be the same. Reading the track surface is a fundamental part of real world racing, and will bring a new level to being a good driver in rf2. Just for these changes alone is enough reason to be excited.

Who knows, maybe when its all implemented people will move past the whole graphic obsession - which ill add is only new to sims. I do know that no game with top quality graphics comes close to being a sim, and that any game with a lot of money tipped into it is always turned into an arcade game - or some sort of hybrid like forza and gt5 series.