Looking person to convert rf1 car graphics to rf2

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by jtbo, Feb 8, 2012.

1. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I have a car in max 7, which I have exported to rF1, that would need to be converted to rF2 format, only graphics settings and gmt export needed, it is just for testing purposes unitl I find someone willing to do new 3d model.

Should not be too big job, even car is made from quite many parts. T1 should be sufficient for now.

Surely if anyone is willing to build three Volvo models I'm more than happy to offer blueprints and what refphotos / measurements is needed, but I doubt many are interested from such, at least it has been so for last five years, but that kind of work is offered too.

Send me a message if you have little time to spare, thx :)

2. BlackMagic

BlackMagic Registered

Post some pictures of the model. That might draw peoples attention.

3. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Or scare them off :eek:

It is probably not much by today's standards, also material, spec map, etc is not very good as they are my attempts and no matter how I try, I can't make it look real. Model would need to be redone as MJ who made it can't update it no longer and I would like to get really high detail model.
    http://finnsontrack.weebly.com/gallery.html

There is one crazy guy in Sweden who just put F1 suspension parts to that car model http://rejsa.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78155 , also at 80's car did win lot of rallycross titles, there is also racing series in NL that is using these cars only. single model race series, cars are not allowed to be tuned much, engine can't be touched, they still run par with Miata at Zandvoort.

In UK car is quite popular with entry level drifting too.

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Thanks to Johannes, I have model now in rFactor2.

As I had to lie down on bed for few days after broking my back, along with some research of data for Chase USA mod, I did practice a bit more modelling, what I noticed is same thing as always, using tools is not difficult, I started playing with 3d modelling software at mid 90's, never just have had enough time to do it full time, on and off, mostly off, but I know principles and I know modifiers, difficult or near impossible part is actually choosing where to put those edges, even I know how edges should 'flow' along the shapes, it is sometimes very difficult to know where to place them and I have not yet seen tutorial that would teach how to pick correct places.

Usually I have started from wheel arches and fenders, then end up them being wrong and forgetting stuff for months, sometimes for a year, now I started from the roof, it has lot wrong still, every time I place edges they are wrong and I end up adjusting vertices more and more. maybe one just has to accept it being wrong and adjust it when there is more of complete stuff so it is easier to see relation of shapes?

Anyway this will be very high poly model, mostly because of damage I try to create enough edges and vertices that damage will work fine, don't really care much if there is no computer that would run full grid. I don't know if I can finish this, but at least will not be anytime soon.
    [​IMG]

Maybe I do it wrong way already, no idea really, I got blueprints from blueprints.com site, but had to alter them a bit to match.

Also every tutorial says to make plane sizes to match pixels in blueprints, I did not, I made them to match dimensions of car.

I will probably make too much details for gaming purposes, but I would like to create model that is bit more than gaming model, so there will probably not be much of polygon saving tricks in hidden places either.

No matter how I try, I end up with some edges or vertices being bit too much, bit too little, so straight lines are zigzagging and arcs are jumping, only way so far has been to fix such vertex by vertex and usually several adjustments is needed until it is even somewhat like it should be, but then usually in wrong place, so need to move all again and all over again, don't know if it is how modelling should be or do I just lack completely ability to see thing how they should be seen, so it might take years to finish such and then comes textures which is even more challenging stuff.

So I guess my start of model looks already quite horrible and being pretty much wrongly done?

5. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

your start looks really good, high detail too.

6. jtbo

jtbo Registered

If you look image enough closely, it is easy to spot how outer edge of roof line has kink upwards, also in rear section, I think placing of edges should be different, but I don't know how, I just have impression it is now wasteful, maybe there should be more symmetry, rearmost part and tail light surrounding is more of mess than anything, I remember how I spend half a day on that area alone and still it is not quite good, shape is not too far off there, but maybe same could be achieved much better with wiser placement of edges, but don't really know, it is just that when I compare how I see things done in tutorials, edges seem to be more evenly placed with so perfect angles between them, maybe it is not needed, maybe it is, those kind of information is such that no tutorial seem to focus much.

Also one thing, is it preferred to have edges maintain 90 degrees more or less between two different surfaces, like top and side? Of course to X direction there must be angle that defines side, but to front/back direction?

For example near tail light area I have one edge from corner of that section to upwards that I think should go straight up and not like it currently goes, but I don't know if such is really desired.

At least I have unlimited supply of ref photos, just need to walk to garage, whatever good that will do for me :D

[​IMG]

7. anthing

anthing Registered

That modeling is looking nice. There are so many ways to model these things. Practise makes us better :)

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I guess it is same with everything, we stumble we learn :D

Difficult part is coming up, that rear section and how it goes around, also shapes that are at sides and near windows might take few tries to get them right, but I do as long as it takes, when I have time from my other projects, this has been WIP from 2006 so well past rushing stage :D

9. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Well that is coming out well, and definitely more high-poly that what I've done :D And yes, mostly the work is doing adjustments vertex by vertex.

10. GiguLi

GiguLi Registered

rf2 tire physics with iracing graphics would be perfect.