car painting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mick-S, Feb 5, 2012.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Not enough times, it would seem. :) And that's actually what I said, it has been reported, but not enough to establish it. And perhaps those who would have helped with that, are working around it instead. That's all I said.

No bug should be unmentioned/bypassed any stage just because you consider it not important enough... :) Different people work on different things, you don't know who you're making stop to work on this, so why be concerned with that?

Just keep reporting this stuff. :) If you work around it, OK, but we do still need to know what our versions of the software are doing.

2. CrookdMoe

CrookdMoe Registered

Well as long as its been reported, its all good here. :D Was just surprised and, I for one, didn't know it was reported and i just happen to mention it here. So all is good. I for one am enjoying the game as it is. :)

3. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Also got the windshield bug...no workarounds have worked for me, lol.
    [​IMG]
    By mikeyk1985 at 2012-06-04

4. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Ok Tim lets start talking about this! Should we stay here or move to another thread? Up to you. Move what you see as important and we'll follow your lead.

Just a quick note here.

This is not just limited to our custom skins being placed in \My Documents\rFactor2\User Data\player\settings\COMPONENT NAME\VEH NAMEalt.dds.

If you have a look at the Meganes anyway, I'd guess it's the same for the GT Nissans. Have a look at the alt skins ISI have put in the mod. You'll see the same issue is on those as well. It's as simply as a naming issue to wild card materials.

But as for the thought that we're, I are holding someone up on getting this sorted it dose make it hard for us to give feedback on things that aren't really implemented properly or fully to the system. I'll refer you to ...http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/5872-Freedom-of-will

I admit this is a recent post but something like this was mentioned once before so you can see why it was my choice not to keep constantly reporting something that's not ready to be looked at properly. IMO maybe, But it seems the opinion of others that can maybe offer some help fixing the problem and not look for a work around.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guy's; Don't get me wrong here, I do understand the reasoning behind trying to find a work around so you can use your skin. I personally think this is time better spent driving the game and leaving the fixing of the BETA to those who can do it properly.

5. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Since there's been no more discussion forth coming on this subject, Would it be fair to assume the problem has been rectified and community feedback is no long required?

Hopefully the skinner can also do windows, Drivers and helmet without issues in the next rF2 update.

6. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

It would be nice to know, how many users (with this bug) have extracted some ISI's (additional) car to the dev mode. This bug could be car part/texture naming conflict in core code. Back then I had same kind of problems with rF1....

Cheers!

7. Chris S.

Chris S. Registered

I have not extracted anything to dev mode, but i have this bug.

8. Gimli Oakenshield

Gimli Oakenshield Registered

The same for me.
    I have never used the Devmod but when I tried to add my personal skin to the megane, the windshield is fully painted.

9. Martin Keets

Martin Keets Registered

Same here. Using the correct folders as per Tim's instructions in the template download thread.
    Car shows in game but with fully painted windscreen.

10. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Sorry guy's but the mention of having the mods in DevMod seems to be causing confusion.

This part of Jka's post is a better description of what I was trying to suggest in a earlier post .
    But it's not anything to do with it being in DevMod or not.

What I was suggesting and Jka has also said it's in the way the model "itself" is setup. The naming to bring materiel & textures together to put it simply. The textures that are used for parts like liveries, Drivers, Helmet, In some cases wheels, Tyre walls GMT's, The model's part are setup with wild card textures. Textures that can be replace from it's default. All textures can be replace but if these textures are not set up correctly to use wild card, The texture will replace the one in the model on "all" the cars that model represents.

Hope this is understandable. I'm not a modeller but I have had conversation with those that do. Believe me when I say, When a modeller users all their, Well; Their language you could call it, For a layman it's not that easy to follow.:D

11. Steffen_M

Steffen_M Registered

A short Note: The Problem continues with Build 90!

I summarize the problem again:

- Add a new Custom Skin in UserData/player/Settings/[vehiclefolder] -> works fine, the game adds the Skin to the Tuning menu
    - BUG: After adding the Custom Skin Body, the windscreen of the added Skin is displayed as Windscreen, too
    - Add a new Custom Windscreen to the same folder -> doesn´t work, the texture of the custom body is displayed as windscreen

I hope you can work with that Tim. If the problem is not clear enouph, i will try to explain it more detailed or i can make a video of that.

Bye
    Steffen

12. 10speed

10speed Registered

So far I created two threads regarding this issue:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/4694-skinning-problem
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/4708-alternate-car-skins-window-texture-problems
    In the second thread you replied multiple times but then left the discussion.
    Is there a minimum of replies we need to "establish" s.th.? I also reported a bug which was fixed according to the change notes of build 69 I think. But there was no reply to my bug report in the forums and that's the same with many other similar threads. That creates the outward impression you/ISI don't care about it.

13. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

With the Meganes, There are three textures that make up the windows. 1 window texture which includes side and back windows. If the body was going over that texture we would see the body template on all the windows including side and back.

There are two others that are 1 for exterior windscreen, 1 for interior windscreen. I see it that the body template is over both these textures because we see it on the spinner as exterior and I also see it as interior windscreen once on track. I drive cockpit mode.

Note that it's not just our added skins using the UserData/player/Settings/mod name. The ALT skins that are in the teams file within the mods content structure are showing the body over the windscreen also.

I haven't bother to look at the Nissans but seeing the same issues are showing on them, The chance they have the same windows setup is pretty high.

I'm baffled to understand why they have a exterior windscreen at all. The main windows texture is all that's needed.

14. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Here's a question for all including Tim, as Tim has previously suggested that some are not experiencing this issue.

Question: Is there anyone using custom/ALT skins (not created as a mod) that are placed in the correct location (UserData/player/Settings/mod name) that does not have the skin repeated in the windsheild bug, if so, please step forward so we can help ISI investigate the differences between those with problems and those without.

15. Crankee Stroka

Crankee Stroka Registered

My BT20 skin is located as advised, (UserData/player/Settings/mod name), and the skin is splashed over the drivers suit & helmet as noted by others. Screen is ok on this open wheeler though. (not a sedan).
    I havent worried about it too much as I am sure ISI intends for this to be at least as workable as rF1 was for skinning.
    Personally I need to be able to customise wheels, body, driver suit & helmet for me to have the most fun with rF2.
    Beta release is why I haven't made an issue of it as yet but I will chime in here.
    Tx. :)