car painting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mick-S, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Twista

Twista Registered

None of the workarounds seem to be working for me, but maybe I'm just an idiot.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It has been responded to. There wasn't an opportunity for it to be reproduced, you can't fix without a known cause.

3. BigDuke6

BigDuke6 Registered

thought I would give skinning the Megane a quick try, and same problem here with the windscreen, followed the
    (\My Documents\rFactor2\User Data\player\settings\... folder) instructions.

[​IMG]

4. buzard

buzard Registered

\My Documents\rFactor2\User Data\player\settings\(track folders-all empty)

No vehicle folders. Am I supposed to create the folders for new paint jobs? Am I supposed to have vehicle folders there? What do I have to name the folders? What do I name the *.dds files for the other vehicles? I can't find the info here using the search function. Is there a thread or file with this info?

Just trying to paint a car! This was a simple thing to do in rF1. I'm sure this will change but right now it appears to be undocumented.

5. buzard

buzard Registered

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Great paint job!!!!!!!!!

6. Chris S.

Chris S. Registered

On the FISI it looks like this.
    View attachment 2710
    Driver, gloves and helmet have the "windscreen" problem.
    Strange that the helmet becomes nearly invisible.
    Same problem on the 60's F1. Only difference is that the helmet is not invisible there.

7. 88mphTim

The post where you download the templates from says it. And yes you create them, for now. It's not done now how it will be done.

8. 88mphTim

That's good info, thanks

9. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

10. Hugo Gonçalves

Hugo Gonçalves Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2012
  11. Chris S.

Chris S. Registered

@Cleverleyson & Hugo
    I know that workaround. For me this only works in Singleplayer Mod.

Steffen_M mentioned on page 2 putting the skins into: rFactor2/Core/Vehicles
    that fixed it for me in the Multiplayer.
    Steffen_M:cool:

12. Steffen_M

Steffen_M Registered

I put it to: x:\rFactor2\Core\Installed\Vehicles ("x" is the drive you intalled the game and NOT the folder at "Documents")

13. Steffen_M

Steffen_M Registered

@Tim: After some tests i sum up:

First option: Copy to Core\Installed\NissanGTR\1.1 - There you can only replace Skins and Textures
    Second option: Copy to userdata\player\settings\NissanGTR - Possible to add cars, but windshield doesn´t work and it is not possible to add windshields, rims etc. with "alt"

I think we need an option to add Skins with all parts (windshield, rims,...) Further it would be great to add teamspecific information like teamname, drivers, etc. So we could use a mod with an own carpack. If a driver online has not this carpack he can still compete with us. He will see the standardskin. I don´t no wether this is planned with this option. Maybe its an option to show the custom skin cars as normal cars at the car selection menu and not handle it over "Tuning".

Good night
    Steffen

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2012
  14. 88mphTim

Well the only option should be to do it how it's supposed to be done. That's why we haven't had many reports which are helpful. If you find workarounds which don't come from us you're not testing rF2 anymore, you're testing your edits. :) we've had SO little info on this bug...

15. Steffen_M

Steffen_M Registered

What did you mean exactly? Sorry, i am german and its not easy everytime to understand all people 100% correctly.

16. 88mphTim

Nobody should be editing the core contents, ever. The product has been designed for you to never need to.

When you guys find workarounds which are like that, you're not helping us. You basically make us think there is no problem, and you are not testing the same thing we are anymore. Instead of getting feedback on this so we can fix the software, you've been editing it so we can't fix it. :)

17. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I've posted in this thread the how to add a skin the ISI way. Why are you guy's working on workarounds? This doesn't make sense at all.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tim; The windows issue has been reported before many times by many different people. The car skins going over the drivers and helmets is also old news. This has been happening since we started using the alt skin system. It's not just restricted to the new ISIFM mod, It's all of them.

At the time we, Or at least I thought this was just a quick workaround to shut people up for now so the ISI crew can work on more important things. This is not a priority for the team. It's one of those things that can be looked at, At a latter date.

That's why I anyway haven't bothered you guy's with this. If you have time or wish to work on this in more depth then let us know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To all others;
    Has anyone tried adding a alt window set the their alt skin folder? I know there's no template, Extra the ones out of the Megane Mas and make one from that. It isn't hard! The Megane has M2009_xxWINDOWALT (Main window)
    M2009_xxWINDSHIELDINALT (Inner windscreen)
    M2009_xxWINDSHIELDOUTALT (Outer windscreen)
    Note; The bold ALT at the end of each naming. This is to name them for your add-on. I've shown you this so you don't miss it when adding yours to you skin folder.
    2 different templates are required. One will do both inner & outer windscreens. The method used is quite amateur or old compared to most mods today for rF1. Still I'd guess that all 3 are needed for now.

There's no guaranty this will work at all. I haven't tried it. If it dose, Then all well and good. If not, Then it's something ISI need to look at as well. We need the ability to add the windows, Drivers, Helmet and any other in sundry things a particular mod may have.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tim;
    The main reason the alt skin method in rF1 wasn't used as it was meant by ISI is the fact that when running a replay the cars would revert back to the default skins making it impossible for leagues to make video's of their clubs races showing their custom skins. Many have a third party add-on that uses the veh file entries to record a drivers lap times and so on. Thus the need to create a new car in the mods as a completely new team. The alt method isn't ideal for this either. If it wasn't this way and we could have used the alt skin method more effectively I'm sure we would have. It would have been a big leap in reducing the mismatch issues we see in rF1 open servers.

With rF2 as your aware any change to the mods Mas. (Yes even changing a original skin DDS) will render the mod useless for online and LAN use. Till it's repacked and given a new mod ID and re circulated.

This isn't a ideal method of doing things so we'd be asking ISI to look at having the alt skins remain as default till it's manually changed by the end user. Or in some cases a league driver may have more then one skin set up as a alt. Any replays need to reflect this skin and not revert back to the original mods default.

18. Steffen_M

Steffen_M Registered

I have tried it, but without success. I hope Tim can work with that.

Thats the point i wantet to make with my post. Thank you!

19. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

it wouldn't suprise me that there is a suit template that you can colour and link to your alt skin. it just seems its missing it and therefore just uses the one skin instead!

20. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

its just an ass that when you spend ages making a skin and then not being albe to use it due to the windscreen bug....at least we can use it oursleves that way!