car painting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mick-S, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Mick-S

Mick-S Registered

have downloaded the templates, but once they have been painted, how do you get them into the game, I don`t see any vehicle dds files anywhere to save to ? well only the rTrainer.
    no answer from post in car modding, so will try again here.

2. buzard

buzard Registered

Same for me. I can't figure it out either. Will rF1 file editors open rF2 .mas files? I can't find any info.

Also I'm using Vista 64 and it's decided that all .MAS files are related to MS Office. But I can't seem to get any info on how to change an association with this OS. I did d/l a program to do this but the instructions did not make sense and all I could get was an option to delete ".mas". I'm assuming it means delete the association but since it's not clear what it means I did not pursue.

3. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

If you change ANYTHING! in that Mas. file, You will render the complete mod useless for online or LAN.

This is from here http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1396-Downloads?highlight=alternate+skins
    Don't know about the latest build. I haven't bothered with it. Not sure if this has been change or updated. There doesn't appear to be anything in the changelog on this subject so I'm guessing the issue with it still remain for now.

4. JGraf

JGraf Registered

start/settings/control panel/default programs(set associations) "associate a program or protocol type with a specific program"

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Create the folder if it doesn't exist. Folder should be named as per the instructions in the thread you downloaded templates from. Sorry it's not more user-friendly yet (both doing it, and documentation), it's all in flux.

6. vyrush

vyrush Registered

@Tim - any idea on when we can have a painting template for the Formula Masters?

7. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

Are there plans to allow us to have our own unique skins that we can use to play on any server? Would be nice to take our custom racing colours to pubs, despite the occasional penis croppng up.

8. 88mphTim

Posted now.

9. 88mphTim

Yes, but sharing them would be an issue... I don't know what has been discussed on that front.

10. IWE

IWE Registered

I started painting today and had problems to get my skin work in the game with help of instructions given.

First of all in my case data directory was like: "rFactor2 Data\UserData\player\Settings\..." instead of My Documents or rFactor2 folder itself. So it depends where you have decided to install your rF2 data while installing the game.

And 2nd problem was to get textures for Megane to appear in game, but then I realized that its not possible to add "_alt.dds" named skins for cars which already have alternative skin like for example Meganes do have.

So in the end my working Megane skins was:
    "D:\Games\rFactor2 Data\UserData\player\Settings\Meganes2009\M2009_01alt2.dds"

So simple thing but still I ended up trying different things for ages and restarting the game multiple times before getting it right.

Now my helmet and windshied textures are messed up (as it seems to be loading wrong textures for some reason), but I dunno how to sort it out.

11. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

@IWE

In regard to your windshield being messed up, did you make an alpha channel of your skin before importing into the game?
    I was messing around for an hour last night, started making a skin, and before i finished i deleted the alpha channel from the downloaded .psd template (as this still appears to contain the original isi sponsors on it ) and made my own. it's easy to do in photoshop. Just go to the channels tab, delete the alpha channel. look in the channel pane and at the bottom choose create new channel. A new alpha channel will appear that's black. just hold in shift and press F5, choose 100% opacity and your alpha channel will turn white. No messed up windshield ! ( don't know if this is the correct way to do this, but it worked for me !)
    Good Luck !

No messed up windshield :

[​IMG]

12. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Wow, that Megane looks sexy as hell! Don't care much for ISI's Megane liveries

13. Twista

Twista Registered

What does Shift + F5 do exactly? I tried what you said and it actually got rid of the translucency on the windows altogether.

EDIT: I get it, it's to fill the new layer with white. I'm still struggling to get it right though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2012
  14. willpinataman

willpinataman Registered

I have been doing some livery painting and the livery loads fine in the car showroom but as soon as I drive the car it just turns into a mess of the background colour, I was doing the single seaters. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

15. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

@Twista. when you press shift and F5 to change the alpha channel to white, you should have an opacity option. By default it's set to 100%. You can mess around with this value. If you try another value like 80% your translucency may come back. This may not even be the proper way to do the skins, i just thought it may be a quick fix for IWE's windscreen problem.

Don't take anything i say as fact as i have only spent a few hours messing about with the skins. As counterintuitive as it sounds, some game engines actually need the alpha channel to be completely black or very dark grey ( if you ever tried to import a FS2004 plane into FSX a lot of time you need to invert the alpha channel, otherwise you end up with completely black windows that are impossible to see through ! ).

The only other thing i can think of to mess the textures up on the windscreen are the mipmaps not being generated correctly. I used the DXT3 option in nvidia dds tools and didn't mess with any settings. But again, i could be talking complete nonsense, but my skins appear in game ok.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2012
  16. Hugo Gonçalves

Hugo Gonçalves Registered

if i make that in photoshop my cars seem dont have window :(
    Already try with dxt3 option , and nonworking.

I send my psd to a friend and works great in their pc.

17. CrookdMoe

CrookdMoe Registered

Im having the problem where the whole paint scheme is on the windshield. Trying to find a way around it. :(

18. CrookdMoe

CrookdMoe Registered

After some testing, i still cant get my windshield cleared. Anyway, i was thinking, is it possible that yours worked because the car color is white? I just thought about that now. Maybe if i put the alpha color the same color as my car, do you think it would work? Ill give it a shot and let you guys know.

By the way, im working on a Nissan GTR. I would like it if someone who knows what is wrong with the process could tell us what WE are doing wrong. lol

19. Steffen_M

Steffen_M Registered

View attachment 2686 View attachment 2685

It is not ready until now, but a first preview. I will create the second car from 2010, too. I hope anybody can help with the issue with the windows.

:) Steffen

20. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

@crookdmoe. it makes no odds that the car is white, I have made blue, grey, red and black skins and the windscreen is fine on all of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012