Graphics are Great WTF are people saying rf 1 ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sean_S36, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Nunzio

Nunzio Registered

Personally, Slightly Mad Studios has better graphics. I've been car simming for a long time and have a lot of car sims still on my hard drive.

What looks good to me right now and I just tried it cause I got it cheap is NFS 2 Unleashed. The graphics are great, if the car physics were on par with rF2 or even my all time favorite GTR2 It would be it for me.

rF2 graphics are not up to what PCars is and at least for me both are not running well on my system. I know I'm due for an upgrade to my system soon.

Model: Dell XPS 630i
    CPU: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3.00 GHz
    Motherboard: Dell 0C113J, Nvidia chipset 6501 SLI SPP/MCP
    Memory: 4GB DDR2 (Crap I need an upgrade)
    Video: ATI Radeon 4870 1 Gig
    Audio: onboard Realtek 5.1

Just my observation.

2. CalgarySimRacer

CalgarySimRacer Registered

Um have you not seen some of the gorgous mods and tracks like VLM made for rF1? Endurance Racers Mod? Formula Armoli Mod? Tons of amazing modders out there..Are we gonna look at a Beta and say this is the final build for rF2? Lol's...Lot's of work to be done yet I'm sure...This is a simulator, not a IMAX show..I'm blown away by the graphics so far on my killer rig..Easily on par with iRacing which I love as well...This is an engine boys. and the physics and feel is the bread and butter of a sim. The icing on the cake. And after running several laps in all the cars available on here and doing some tuning, iRacing doesn't even have the planted feel and FFB that i'm experiencing here..Sorry rF2 is gonna again be the PC sim once again to be reckogned with...

3. CalgarySimRacer

CalgarySimRacer Registered

Ya your PC specs will never give you the appreciation of looking at both Pcars and rF2 maxed out..

4. SCampbell

SCampbell Registered

The shading and reflectance is probably the most important thing to get the graphics correct. When someone mentions it looks cartoonish, the first thing that comes to mind is a lack of shading, or unusual/unrealistic shading. I think its getting there, but the posts mentioned about where rFactor is at with respect to where RF2 is at seem to indicate that the graphics are far from complete. They can make more out of the engine for sure. And getting the shading and shadowing correct is one of the hardest things to do. If it could be done in rFactor, I can imagine it will be able to happen in rF2.

5. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

People, you don't need to quote the entire post with the same pictures all the time...

As for fresnel reflections, yes, it's a great improvement, as K.S. said (sorry, I cannot spell your name lol) and his shaders works perfectly in RF1. As far as I know, RF2 should include fresnel reflection by default (I'm quite sure I saw some ISI's person declaring so). Currently, it's not. Maybe this effect will be presented in the final version.

Regarding to people who were complaining about scripted weather transitions, this is quite clear in the knownissues.txt. The feature is in RF1 in a “demo” mode.

+ 1 about the materials: same problem from RF1: plastic, tarmac, car painting, rubber and metal should be recognized in a first glimpse. Gmotor’s materials doesn’t allow that. You have to stop and reflect on you’re seeing to imagine the material distinction. An excellent texture can reduce this bad impact (and there’re a lot of excellent textures in RF2) but doesn’t eliminate it. Let’s see what can be done about it.

1 person likes this.
  6. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

im on 5850 triple screen eyefinity setup. i cant max evrything. drop in fps.

hope u guys can fix dat

7. thuGG

thuGG Registered

5850 isn't a monster card that would run 3 screens with everything maxed.

8. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Three screens with 'everything maxed' on a 5850 is somewhat of an unrealistic expectation in this case, yeah.

9. nuggetz

nuggetz Registered

Just like rF1, I think the colors should be toned down a bit. Not sure if its possible with HDR stuff but it would be cool to make the colors look like they do on TV - at least that's what most people could compare racing to.

10. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Wait for it.
    Tone mapping in HDR can affect brightness, contrast and saturation. Even last build has changed a few things, so I believe they will be polishing it up.

11. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

You could easily have replay cams with "tv filters", but for cockpit "eyesight" I want realistic colors without gimmicks as much as possible.

12. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Agreed. My eyes =! TV camera.

13. Josefhead

Josefhead Registered

Don't know how many of you played pcars ... I have set all on the highest option here... but it's very very far away from what you see in the trailers...
    it looks very pixelated and I have to turn hdr off otherwise I get very very strange contrast problems where the pxels are getting oversaturated and so.. it looks a bit like n64 graphics with hdr here...

it may have potential but there is a long way till it will look as expected.. but well it's also pre alpha so enough way to go :)

but I think rfactor will look much more like expected... didn't played it yet.. just downloading it and will buy a license then...

14. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

I play both and for a pre alpha pcars graphics are quite good, they reckon another 12 months before finshed so still loads to look forward too ;)
    and of course rF2 has loads more untill final release, so that will get even better.

here are a couple of screenshots of pCars on my rig, not pixalated at all?

15. isamu

isamu Registered

Please tell me that is a typo?

....surely they'll have the full complete retailed version of he game out sometime by the end of this year, no?

16. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

No, they're currently looking at a release around March/April 2013.

And pcars does indeed look great, but I do get a distinct feeling that I'm looking at the world through a video camera. Maybe the new lighting system will change that, don't know yet. But it's technically easier to go for a "photorealistic" look than what human eyes see, mainly because you get to have reference pictures. =)

17. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Generating gfx just like 'human eyes/brain see' is impossible. At least because every single person may interpret real life images in different ways. You cannot also forget about output devices (monitors, projectors) which are very limited in color reproduction area, and very very very limited if we start talking about ability to emitting light on some high level (like you may see IRL).

So, again, it is impossible to reproduce virtual world the same as it is in reality. But... You can generate scene using object properties simmilar to ones in real world. I mean, objects which simulate light reflection like it works in real life. Objects which reacts on shadows using rules known from real world. etc etc.

If you create 3dscene using properties which will be reasonable, simulating real world ones, you will get at least image which will look like photo, but photo from real live. Then you may argue that this photo is not looking as you like. Maybe it is too warm,maybe too cold. Maybe too bright, or maybe too contrast. But it still looks like took from real world. This is why pCARS looks more real (even if some one may think it is overdone a bit) than rF1 or 2. It is enough to check images posted a few posts ago and compare on-car reflections to what you can see in rf2. Moreover all objects are more or less glossy. There are no objects which has not glossiness at all. If you cannot see it - it doesn't matter it doesn't exists. For example plastered wall also reflects light (including surroundings, clouds shapes etc). You can ommit it while creating virtual scene. But if you do that, your scene will start to look "plain". Again.. that's the reason why rf1 and rf2 look as they look.

This is the point of creating real-looking 3dscene. It is not about creating it 'the same' as you can see IRL by own eyes. As I wrote at beginning - it is impossible to achieve. But we can get it real-looking even without it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2012
  18. Mike Coopman

Mike Coopman Registered

Dont know what all the fuss is about tbh. The sim is running beautifully on my rig , everything amped and not 1 hickup. And it looks good. For me Physics and FFB come 1ste place in ANY sim, Graphics very last place. And even thou its still in beta it doesnt look bad at all. Maybe people need to check their systems more cuz even in multiplayer Races my rig manages still near the tripple digit fps.

And it make me laugh that people expect with a 7 year old Dual core and a Crappy Graphics card to be able to play it with all the bells and wissles, seriously .... Tripple screen Nvidia surround With GTX 580's is amazing

19. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

I really wish people would stop talking sh** about graphics not being important in a sim, of course they are damn important, if you want realism then it has to look the part too? if it was a case of having either physics or graphics then fair enough, physics for a sim is the way to go, but with PC's these days, with quad+ cores and crossfire/sli rigs we should be able to have BOTH.....

20. Alesi

Alesi Registered

pCARS =rfactor2 died. pCARS already have unbelievable graphics and have a very good basic physics (despite its only pre-alpha) and they still working. what does rfactor2 have?? now they have a multiplayer.
    so they buried rfactor2...
    soon no one will play rfactor2. goodluck ISI turtles

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2012