Graphics are Great WTF are people saying rf 1 ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sean_S36, Feb 4, 2012.

1. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Graphics are not going to be 'top notch' in rF2 because it's DX9.
    There's little to no AA for a start and there wasn't really any in rF1.

But it's quite pointless 'discussing' the merits of rF2's graphics at this stage because it's BETA.

The graphics and FFB will improve for sure.

2. Tripp

Tripp Registered

How many people have isi staff that do cars tracks and all work ?
    I not talk about all in the isi team just the ones that do updates and other stuff to update the game.
    Is it 3 or 5 or 15 people looks like simbin have over 30-35 people do that work.
    Project cars i no nothing how many that do the update/progress thing, but if not so many is working on update a game it usuallay takes more time to get out a new full game complete as a version 1,0.

3. Bounty

Bounty Registered

Personally I find the graphics very poor in rF2. The tracks are more alive though which is nice. Must confess I've just not bothered playing rF2 much because of the FFB issues with my G25. Doubt I've played more than 2 hrs since the beta came out. The only reason I'm even here posting this is because it was my weekly check to see if an update had been released yet.

I play CARS and played rF2 at max settings and rF2 isn't even close. That's not to say it won't be given time/more content etc. I hope both titles deliver all we hope they will. I don't wish either to fail but fact is at this time I can't play rF2 but I can play CARS.

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Cdnracer, give us a break. In all discussions about bad gfx in rf2 comparing to CARS you say that CARS suxx because physics, handling etc. Your answers are irrelevant, so again: we are talking ONLY about graphics in this thread. Graphics in rF2 looks oldy. Doesn't match quality nowadays productions. It is a fact.

Unfortunately this is graphics engine which at curent state disallow modderrs to create better looking mods.

5. FONismo

FONismo Registered

I find the rF2 graphics quite charming at times in all honesty. Ok, it's quite inconsistent but it's obvious the potential is there. A few times it has really impressed me with the right conditions, ie TOD settings. It will look great in the end. Snetterton looks great

6. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Nothing to do with DX9, SMS managed to produce both SHIFT titles with DX9

7. coops

coops Banned

shaders and lighting can do a lot with the low poly count if you know wat your doing have a guy teaching me about it now. you dont need 10000000000000s of polys to get a good looking car

8. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Fair point but I did say 'top notch' :p

There are some fantastic looking tracks for rF1 :D

9. estravagancia

estravagancia Registered

I have rfcator1, rfactor2 beta and pCars pre-alpha... and as some others, i would like to view some graphic "filter effects" on rFactor2
    I play both of them : )

10. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

It's too bad that you still haven't gotten rid of the lag, since build 141 it all but disappeared for me, with decent FPS it actually responds a tiny bit faster than rF2. And now that the steering feels as direct as any other sim, and the FFB has been improved, I can say honestly: It is a proper sim. It's far from finished in the physics department (and every other), but already it's plain to see they're not just making a new Shift game. Hopefully your problems with it will be sorted out eventually, since you're missing out at the moment.

And apart from that, I don't understand why people seem to be all for one or the other. Both sims are showing great promise and are focusing on different things, pCARS on providing a lot of premium content vs. rF2 on providing the best mod platform. Surely there's room for both?
    DX9 is a really bad excuse to pull. pCARS is considered top notch, and it's a DX9 game too. Sure, you can run it in DX11 mode which at the moment only has some optimizations, but it looks identical in both modes. Saying that DX9 = dated graphics is just... Well, uneducated.

11. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Plenty of room for both and a couple of more as well!!

12. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

True dat, eagerly awaiting Assetto Corsa and GTR3 as well, and hopefully the LFS guys can get that new tyre model out finally. There are never too many sims available. =)

13. Criss

Criss Registered

Definitely better than rF1 but not quite modern for these days games. I'm not saying that it's not good, it's fairly good with HDR and in-car shadow but lighting isn't reflect beauty of the cars that much.

I'm not trying to compare it with other games/sims but here's a simple example. In Ferrari Virtual Race (a free game from Ferrari years ago) when I turn off the lighting effect it looks flat and dated, but when I turn the lighting on... dear lord! it looks pretty much like Forza 3. So it all comes down to lighting and shadowing the model.

14. superbike81

superbike81 Registered

Just give it some time. Look at a game like Grand Prix Legends, the modding community has made that game look like it actually came from the late 2000's instead of from the 90's. Just give the rF2 modders a little time, I think within a year or so this game will look amazing.

Right now, I think the looks are fine, not polished, but extremely far from what I would call "bad" graphics.

15. shum94

shum94 Registered

Modders aren't the ones tweaking the graphical engine...

Right now on full it's not bad, but it needs to be better and it needs to run way higher fps with decent pc specs.

16. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Thing is i would class SHIFT2's graphics as top notch. Albeit without all the silly effects

17. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

The thing is RF2 Looks allot better or worse depending on the Weather or time of day , ISI should have by default set up Race times to take place when it looks nice. ( or make it clear to server admins when these times are , as it is the most popular pub servers run when lighting is flat and boring)

RF2 graphics are the best interims of transitional weather even if there overall lighting and shading is of pore quality to games like project CARS. I have not got the same feeling of dynamic weather from any other game ( and that's without water droplets on screen) ( maybe ARMA to some extent )

ISI as a company always seem to be pore at showing off there work and what they have done , even though the core of what they do is fantastic they just don't have Flair or "gift wrapping" and as a result the game can appear and is perceived by many to be worse than it actually is. ( this is probably a result of them coming from a pure simulation background not a game background like SMS)

Imagine Disney land but where all the rides are technically better only non of it is themed instead everything is just the raw mechanics that is ISI . C.A.R.S on the other hand is prity much exactly like Disney land mostly polish and façade with the core fundamentals lacking (although not bad in general ).

ISI Seem to have got the core aspects of the game pretty damn good but they could really benefit from some spit shine in the presentation and how they convey there game though.

Granted this is a beta so they might put more spit shine on it later I'm partly basing this of Rf1 though and my general perception of ISI.

C.A.R.S is as good comparison as it is also beta / alpha but even then they have put the spit shine onto there game. ( basic things like clean interface , default race times when you first play the game at sunset or when there is most contrast in lighting)

To be clear , I'm not asking ISI make the game with a ****ty console typ UI and go mental with gimmicks , everything should still be 100% functional as to me that's where "true Beauty Lies". (even though there is no such thing as "true beauty" ;) )

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
  18. Grotesk

Grotesk Registered

Rf2 isnt the best looking game but it feels sooooo good the ffb and physics are absolutely great. for exampe put the spring rate in the steup of the car harder the force feedback is also harder << great!

I hope for ISI the wont fall of the podium when SimBin comes with GTR3 because in the past they understand how to produce "immersion" combined with great physics. But the new physics of rf2 bring the level of physics to next level and it would be interesting if SimBin can follow this high physics level

19. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

At current stage it is not about looking good or better. it is about looking correct or incorrect. For now lighting model has flaws and shaders are not providing reflections in correct way. Dawn or dusk look more spectacular but are still not real-like, still incorrect.

Until those 2 thinx fixed, there will be no real-looking gfx on rF2.
    Good news is that shaders may be written by community. But today modders must work with default ones. Would be better for modders if good shaders was provided in rF2.

20. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Sure , I was just talking outside of general bugs that are to be accepted as beta issues.