anyone had significant FPS changes with V-Sync?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by MarcG, Feb 3, 2012.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Having played around with the V-Sync ON/OFF setting and also Triple Buffering (nVidia CP) I've come to the conclusion that nothing changes for me...which is odd! With every other game i have installed (yes full releases no Betas!) and from past experiences turning V-Sync On results in a fairly significant FPS loss, with RF2 I notice none whatsoever.

Even whilst driving I notice no difference to the way the graphics are displayed, so am I alone in this? Got me thinking whether its even functional or not at this stage!

9600GT 512mb GPU
    E8400 Core 2 Duo CPU @ 3ghz
    4gig RAM
    Win 7 64-Bit

2. samuelkorthof

samuelkorthof Registered

Did u lock the FPS @60?

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

No, I rarely get to 60 FPS anyway!

4. Jeepy

Jeepy Registered

I also made different tests with V-Sync on and off and I too didn't notice any FPS loss, but that's really very good news to me, because V-Sync is working very well.
    You can see it's working because there is no more tearing and no more stuttering at all compared to V-Sync off.
    To me it's just the best way to play every game and here without any performance cost, everything maxed.
    Great job ISI, thank you so much.

5. djt

djt Registered

V-sync works fine by selecting it in rFactor2’s configuration options and then selecting “Use the 3D application setting” in Nvidia’s control panel options.

The triple buffering option as usual only works with OpenGL games not DirectX. If you want triple buffering you’ll need to use SoftTH –

http://www.kegetys.net/

As far as the fairly significant FPS loss as you put it with v-sync enabled, that’s because the frame rate is locked to the refresh rate of the monitor (if the system can maintain a frame rate that consistently matches the refresh rate of the display).

Maybe this will help you understand how v-sync works –

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593

Some good info on Triple Buffering -

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794

6. Chopslide

Chopslide Registered

That is a great article thks DJt
    gives me a better understanding of how this all fits together
    unfortunately enabling vsync did not help the stutter for me but can see how it could really help some people out there

7. Chopslide

Chopslide Registered

sorry meant to quote "Maybe this will help you understand how v-sync works –

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593"
    both good reads tho

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

awesome thanks for those links very useful, I was more curious as to why there was'nt a significant FPS drop or gain as I've kinda always turned V-Sync off by default since forever really! I'll play around some more with it and see what happens!

9. djt

djt Registered

Probably because forcing v-sync on rFactor2 with Nvidia’s control panel doesn’t work. Like I said in my first response selecting v-sync in the rFactor2’s configuration options and then selecting “Use the 3D application setting” in Nvidia’s control panel options works fine.