Multimap on Realroad

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by roc-craven, Feb 2, 2012.

1. roc-craven

roc-craven Registered

What exactly is the multimap in texture slot #2 of Realroad? If I were to make my own dirt texture for an off road track how would I make this texture?

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

The ISI tracks use the multi map as a detail map.

3. bison160

bison160 Registered

A good way to test your mult maps is to take your base layer in photoshop and then put your multimap layer over it and change the layer to multiply. That will give you a decent representation of what the texture will look like with with the "detail" map in game

4. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Texture stage 2 is an additional texture that's applied identically to setting the blend mode to 'multiply' in photoshop (i.e. dark colors make texture stage 1 darker, while light colors have little/no effect)--like bison160 said. As Luc alludes, it's in a separate texture stage (as opposed to just baking it on your base texture in Photoshop), so you can use different mapping coordinates. This way, you can have your base texture for 'general' tonal and color changes, and use the mult map as a highly repeating texture for "micro"-level detail. As the documentation suggests, it should be about the same resolution/scale as your Spec map, since they should [have to?] share the same mapping coordinates.

This technique of using more than one texture maps blended together with different coordinates is called "multi-texturing".

5. roc-craven

roc-craven Registered

So basically it is another texture to show on the road. Like a pebble layer or something on that line. In affect like the stones that maybe seen in a dirt road that are just showing through the road surface?

6. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Try this, set your road shader to t1, export it, open it in game and have a look at the road, take a screenshot too if you like.
    Go back to max and change the shader to t1 mul t2 and add the multa map from Joesville. export it, open it up in game and have a look at the road again, you should be able to see the detail from the multa map in the road now.

Just make sure to export every object that uses the road shader or the changes wont show up in game.

7. roc-craven

roc-craven Registered

Good Idea. I'm at work now but will try that when I get home. Thanks for the tip. This should help me understand what I'll need to do with new road materials.