Skining help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RGrueira, Jan 31, 2012.

1. RGrueira

RGrueira Registered

Hi

What I have to do to easily see progress with the, for example, Megane skin?

Thanks

2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I might be able to help but I don't understand what you're asking.

3. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

I think he is looking for some sort of car viewer that you can check you skin on the model without having to load the game. AFAIK, no one has yet created one, so checking the skin in game is the only way right now.

4. RGrueira

RGrueira Registered

sorry for my english. i mean how i check the skin in game without put in a package, just replacing the original DDS for my skin.dds.

Rtrainer in ModeDev (unpackaged) looks like rf1 method. So, What i need To do with Megane mod? (packaged)

I think is unpackage the megane_XXX.mas files .. i did, but i miss some step. I create a Folder in "ModDev/Vehicles/ for megane, with the MAIN files, megane.mas and Teams folder with the DDS.
    no way out of here. What i missed?

thanks

5. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Yeah I've tried doing the same. The Megan original rfm is locked in a Mas and the Dev mode want read it. I've used the rfm from F1Elite Megan all tracks. Tried to compare this one against the one that's in the Dev mode. Chalk & cheese. They really look so far removed and neither look that much like a rF1. I think I have all the files set up right. I can choose the mod. Choose a car but get a load error when trying to view the cars on the spinner. The spinner is just yellow. Trying to load it on track gets a GridMarker.GMT error.

If this is a example of what you have to do to add to any mod once it's packed up will kill the one off's. Even leagues are to get a lot of people trying to do a skin for their own car/s having to unpack the mods. Really starting to hate this system so much! And it's not only this skinning jig.

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

LOL. I gave up! I'm glad I'm not the only one who got a little frustrated. Hopefully some sort of tutorial comes out. I'm not a great painter by any means but I used to be able to get mine into rF and simbin titles.

7. SteveGee

SteveGee Registered

There was a mention IIRC in an earlier post that skins for vehicles will go in a folder within the My Documents/rFactor2 folder...it was wanted to be included in the initial Beta release, but didn't make it. So, they might gives us some information concerning this or it might be included in the next release.

8. RGrueira

RGrueira Registered

Ok, then.. wait will be better.
    Thanks

9. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Registered

10. ryanjermaine

ryanjermaine Registered

actually it is as simple as in rf1.

but you have to extract the mas files first for the dev mod. there you can replace your original dds file with the modified one.

if your finisch your able to build up an own mod or an update. but think befor doing this. if you update the megane i.e i dont know if your able to join online sessions with meganes then.

11. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

And now there's yet another nail in this rFMod system. With rF1 you could have as many new teams installed as you like. As long as you used a default car you could race as long as you had the skin pack if were was one for that leagues server you want to enter. You could have a further 2 or 3 skin packs for other leagues and it wouldn't stop you from entering either.

Now however it dose! You'll have to be installing and/or removing mods all the time each time you change servers.

Yes this has been done. Only trouble is the rfm.Mas for the Megan want extract and the DevMode want read a Mas file. I've also left the models DDS and GMT file together as a Mas just like it is in rF1. No point extracting that if you don't have to. If I'm not happy with the spec or body they can be replaced in the Mas without to much fuss.

The trouble is like you say if for arguments sake I do a 6 or 8 new Megans car set and make a add-on (rFUpdate.Mas) and 10 others do the same. People download and install one out of these 10. (Mainly because they are unaware of the other 9) Each and every time these sets will cause mismatch. In rF1 if you got a collision mismatch you could go out, Change to a default car and re-enter the server. Not with this system.

12. RGrueira

RGrueira Registered

Yes, i know, but, just extracting the files in the corresponding folder as you say dont work .
    There is one more step. I think it has to be the rfm.

but dont know to create a .rfm.

Greets

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Gjon has stated that ISI will look into seperating Skins/Sounds/other areas of MODs to make them easier to manage, sort of Side MODs for want of a better description. The troubles with the current rFMOD dealings have been logged by ISI so they know about them all too well now, something that will hopefully get rectified during the course of the Beta.
    As for skinning right now...best hold off until they do something about it IMO!

14. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Awesome news about the skins!

15. Tom Hash

Tom Hash Registered

....Sorry for asking(i m a novice) where i can find the template megane in my folders?
    Thx you :)

16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

17. ryanjermaine

ryanjermaine Registered

for the rfm-file thing.

i just copy paste the content from the rtrainer in a megane.rfm and edited the vehicle_class or what it is called to m2009 or something like this. it isnt that hard. im also not an modder or something like this. just saw an topic here in forum and tried it this way.

18. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Ok I havnt tried this BUT....

If you have the mas files in the DEV area THEORETICALLY for now is to dump the new file into the same area as the _TEAMS.MAS but what are the names...

Well me I would take a guess on that for now and go into the Tuning Area of the actual game and see what the skin is called.

I would than call the file name XXXX.dds (where XXX is from above) and see what happens??

Dev mode allows the dumping of file to replace them in the MAS...rf2 Main area wont.

That is what I would try for laughs to see if it worked...in devmode at least.

If it didnt, than I would wait for the next update,as you have all mentioned, apparently this will be easier.

Now I would have thought TEAMS and SKINS should be a seperate component like sounds etc so they could EASILY be added to etc etc in the future....

Well lets hope so hey.....

Again, havnt tried the above, but thats how I was going to until I read that the MODID system is up for changes....actually havnt even relaunched the game since finding that out *shrugs*..

If you guys have tried that well....I am outta ideas and will worry after the next update we dont see much more improvement in that area.