Copy Protection

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PCG-Smee, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PCG-Smee

PCG-Smee Registered

After reading a post by Tim on another thread in answer to one of my questions, I have another question --- this one is in reference to your "new" copy protection (actually it's an old concept, I wrote something similar back in the '90s and have to deal with a company in China that uses a similar process to validate copies of their design software):

If my computer cannot contact your servers, for whatever reason, will my game be rendered unuseable?

In my experience with Sothink (Hunan, China), I've found that if anything changes on my computer (video card, sound card, memory, number of hard drives or reconfiguration of partitions) I have to validate my software all over again. That really isn't a problem except when, for whatever reason, the software cannot contact their servers.

So, again, what will happen to my game when it cannot contact your validation server? Will it still run in offline mode, or will it be rendered unusable?

2. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

Why don't you try and disable your internet connection and see what happens? Or are you out to stir more controversy (imagined or otherwise)?

Alan

3. Vedster

Vedster Registered

My understanding is that validation (Online login) is only for online races. If ISI server is down, your online part of the game will not work. Single player will not be affected at all.

4. PCG-Smee

PCG-Smee Registered

When I've participated in some online races via IP to IP, it didn't matter if anyone else's servers were down.

With the new copy protection, if you and your buds hook up IP to IP or even a LAN party . . . it depends on whether ISI will validate your license.

So, again, is there compensation built in for an eventuality where ISI's servers cannot be contacted to verify licensing?

5. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

And that means, what? I think we already know that to play online with rF2 ISI does some validation checking. I don't get why you even stated this. You're asking about offline, but then you go on about online.

We already know the answer to this.

So what are we talking about here? What you're asking is if you change your hardware, or your home address, or your email, or where you park your car, or maybe alter the route you take to work-- if you do this, will you be able to re-activate. Is this what you're asking? We're in America (Michigan, to be exact) and not China.

But no matter where we are (or where you are, which is harder to tell), you're worried about not being able to get re-activated, even if you play offline.

Well, if we figure that offline does not trigger any activation switch, then how would ISI know whether you changed your hardware or not? And since I believe it was mentioned that there is no check if you play offline, then we can safely say that you'd be in the clear. Unless of course you suspect that even without some kind of validation check, ISI can still worm into your life and peak into your system and blow your game up so you can never play it again. If you do think that (and I really do think you might), then you'd better pack up and plan for a stay at the local lunatic asylum.

Alan

6. PCG-Smee

PCG-Smee Registered

Oh wise one, why will you not read post???

You completely avoid the obvious question to dig looking for proof that ISI can not make a mistake or a bad decision, and you miss question completely . . .

With the need to connect to servers for validation, not activation, will my game work offline if ISI's servers are down? The software mentioned in my earlier post creates a validation almost like an MD5 type number, and calls home with the number and the registration info. If everything doesn't match, then you are assumed to be using a pirated version (funny funny funny coming from China, but . . . ) and you then must re-activate your software.

Of course, you know, we all buy the game to play offline.

And about being in America? The law says one is to be presumed innocent until proven guilty. The validation process assumes all are guilty of piracy until being proven innocent. So, is it America or Amerika, komrade?

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.