4 GB RAM comparing to 8 Gb RAM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grotesk, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Grotesk

Grotesk Registered

Does anyone of you test it?

I`ve got a Intel i5-750, ATI HD 5850 1GB,4 Gb Ram DDR3, 1TB SATA2, GA-P55M-UD2 Mainboard

Do you think i will get some more FPS with 8 Gb RAM? Whats the blocking part on this PC?

2. Valerio Kinex

Valerio Kinex Registered

3. MJP

MJP Registered

What O/S (64bit I hope), what res you running at?

4. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

The most performance(fps) you will gain with changing graphic card to better one. I really doubt more of the the same(speed) ram (if you have enough of it) will make any noticeable difference. But...... i hear that the 8G of ram can make game running more smoothly. But this is just a rumors. But can be true in some circumstances, for example when you at the same time run a lot of programs in backround. Or when you use programs that use big databases for operating. In the end if you want upgrade your ram anyway(for other purposes) you should. Specially if you will not upgrade or buy new computer long time from now. Ram is very cheap right now. But don't expect nothing noticeable differences in "i say" 90%. If you short with money, don't buy it.

5. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

For now, I wouldn't upgrade anything. It's just beta and you can expect some optimizations to arrive later.

I once optimized graphics engine from 40 FPS to 70 FPS in a few days. It's not unusual for beta versions to have much less performance.

6. jaykinch

jaykinch Registered

Hey all I used to have 4 gig of ram now ive gone to 12 gig i done my change over before RF2 was out so not sure about fps in rf2 BUT saying that every other game i play ran 200 times better from loading, to games just running smooth

7. SeKa

SeKa Registered

I think it is to early to answer this question properly. We have to wait for the next few patches, to assess the standards.

But anyway, 4GB should be enough for a mod and a track, even for NoS!

8. Omicron

Omicron Registered

At the moment, rFactor 2 uses less than 2GB of RAM with 30 cars.

9. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I have a very similar system, except I have 16GB RAM. From the sounds of it, it seems like I'm getting pretty respectable FPS (around 30-45 at Monaco with, I think, a 16 car grid, and all settings on MAX) compared to other people with MUCH more powerful systems. I'm sure I can't put that all to RAM, but I'm sure it's not hurting. But like others have said, it is still just a Beta, so things could definitely change quite a bit. I upgraded last fall--well before the Beta was released, so I don't have anything to compare to. Upgrading your RAM definitely won't hurt you, though--especially considering some of the deals they have on RAM these days.

10. dice65

dice65 Registered

is there a work around to let rf2 use more ram like around 4 gig or more ?

11. blazko

blazko Registered

how about 2gb? I have 2.. and i want 4. Does it change?

12. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

rF2 is built with "Large Address Aware" enabled. However, the amount of space a given process can allocate is limited by the OS to be less than or equal to 4GB

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

To use more than 4GB the rFactor 2 exe must be built into a 64 bit exe and run on 64 bit OS. rF2 is currnelty not a 64 bit app.

That said, if you have 4 GB of RAM, and 2 GB is used by OS and other apps and rF2 wants 4GB (unlikely right now) then 6GB of RAM would be necessary to avoid the virtual memory space being mapped to space in the hard drive swap file.

13. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

ah nvm. lol.

14. Grotesk

Grotesk Registered

now i installed the other 4gb...but not one FPS more....but its okay i didnt expect 10fps but maybe 5

15. steve30x

steve30x Registered

Having more ram will not increase FPS. It will only increase game loading speeds slightly.

16. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

And that's correct. You won't get any fps increase in typical conditions. With more RAM, you have less page file usage, improving overall smoothness of gameplay (because data sits in RAM all the time - don't have to be loaded at the moment from page file from your hdd).

For me, as PC user not using page file for a very long time already, having 4GB in 32 bit XP was obligatory. With 64bit Win7 - it's 8GB (which should not be a problem, because DDR3 is very cheap atm).

By the way, rF 2 (rfactor2.exe) consumes about 3,3GB of system memory at Mills with 104 Megane Trophy cars :)