Huge difference between W7 and XP!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for the tip, but that didn't work also :(

I am kind of done now; even though it is a beta, it still is weird that you have to tweak your system for a week to get it running without hurting your eyes or even make it playable. Then you go to another OS, and the same happens again!
    There are lots of guys here that have problems with running the game in a decent manner.
    Now I don't mind a bit of tweaking, but the precise drivers from everything combined with all the setting for everything and so on......if I get this right somehow, I have to write a book to know what version drivers I need, setting and all just in case I have to reinstall the OS sometime.

There are guys running this game okay, but there are A LOT of guys having serious trouble. Just look up all the fixes and hints an tips there are on this forum.
    This really isn't fun anymore ant that's a shame; I really love this game, tried to marry RF1 already.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

best thing you can do is wait for future Beta Updates, its a shame its not running well for you & others but thats just the way Betas are unfortunatley. I'm sure ISI will iron out the problems during the course of the Beta so hang in there and hopefully you'll be on track soon enough :)

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Yes, that's probably the smart thing to do.......
    But I have low hopes sadly; ISI never fixed a lot of problems with RF1....... For instance the behavior of the AI and here in 2, they are still running full into you when you're spun on the track even though they see you from a mile away.

And now this problem; it reminds me on RF1, where the fps were almost the same in low settings as in high.....there was a guuy that made a fix for it, a small .dll file and when you installed that, the fps on low went more than double(!!) and the backdrop on corners was a lot lower.
    Not all the video cards were benefit by it, but what stings, is that ISI never came up with that fix!
    They must have thought (in my opinion) that people bought the game and the 25% that was not satisfied was okay......

So, if the same problems come back in RF2 that were already in RF1.......it makes me a bit sad; really want to love this but I can't ignore the facts that ISI is not pulling out their best; old problems should have been fixed in RF1 already(!!)

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah already the "Ramming" has been tweaked for a future Beta Update so you're hopes are raised already! plus the AI is much better than in rF1 but I wont go into that debate again. Even in its current state I've had some great races against them in the Meganes without any Ramming.
    Again its a Beta, if ISI left it as is and released now then you'd have a point to argue, but they supported rF1 very well and they say they have intentions to support RF2 for just as long, so hang in there and hopefully things should improve.

5. slawek

slawek Registered

I had the same issue with w7, everything is slower than on XP, rF2 utilises nearly 100% of my CPU and on XP still playable but on W7 not, updating drivers does not help at all.

6. DRat

DRat Registered

Navigator, I've got a system very similar to yours, with the factory-OC's GTX-260 and Win7x64, 4G DRAM, etc.

The best video performance I've had is with nVidia Inspector settings for rFactor2.exe set to AA mode = override application settings, AA = 8xQ, AA transparency/supersampling = off, AT mode = user defined/off, AT filtering = 8x, AT LOD bias = -1.250. The nVidia driver is 285.79.

The only significant performance issues I've encountered that was unrelated to video settings and GTX-260 limits was the problem of having to set the nVidia global power management mode to max performance; using the game HDR really drags down my fps unless I disable environmental and road reflections; and, I have to run at 1440x900 to keep the fps out of the dust. The only places I get any pinch-down of fps below 50 is a couple of areas at Monaco which drop down into the 40's when I have more than 5 or 6 AI cars running. And, there is virtually no flickering at speed with this setup. Using the AA setting within rF2 the flickering of fences, railings, trees, etc., is objectionable.

My criteria may not be where yours are, but my XP machine did no better than this with the same setup. I suspect the limitations are in the GTX-260, which was a not a high-end gaming card when it came out.

7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for the advise, it helped for a while even as reïnstalling the main board drivers (strange enough, did it yesterday but now it was al bad and after installing them again, better again).
    How so for a while?
    Well, the game is toying with me; it runs "okay" and that means I can live with it (tearing is really really bad, but further than that, the fps is a steady 60 and so not much stuttering) but al of the sudden; fps drops in a few corners to 37.......
    I really don't get it; running 10 laps just fine, than this happens.

The shadows; I played with it before and when off, the fps was good, setting to "low" costs me 20 to 30 fps; I put it back of again and never regained the 20 to 30 fps......did some setting, can't remember what and it came back.

Pfffff.......I am really done with this, being busy for two weeks now, not even got one good race in :(

8. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

did you put some WD40 on your mobo ? that always helps RF run smoother

9. DRat

DRat Registered

Make sure your sim configuration is set to Vsync OFF.

With a generated frame rate probably bottoming out below the vsync rate, active vsync can cause your monitor to run at an fps much less than the software-generated frame rate. This is caused by the video card with vsync on waiting to send complete frames to the monitor at the vsync interval, but if the next frame is incomplete the card re-sends the last frame. 60fps is right on the borderline between intermittently having 60fps displayed and 30 fps displayed, depending on graphics and system load. If the system is starting to do some housekeeping after you've been gone for 10 laps or so, maybe it is dragging down your generated rate just enough to zap your display rate.

Also, you mentioned that your computer was "shutting down the HD all the time" during rF2 runs. It should not be starting and stopping at all, unless you've got something else running in the background. W7 won't mess with it except for pre-search indexing (which you can disable if necessary) and for power timing settings (which default to "never" for the HDD). Otherwise, download and install Process Explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653 and see what is actually running under the Explorer.exe tree. It may be that something is overactive or has snuck in there.

Good Luck!!

10. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

@Navigator... Along with all the other suggestions above.
    Download CCleaner from Piriform and install it.
    Run the cleaner twice after checking all the boxes EXCEPT 'wipe free space'.
    Run the registry cleaner until it finds no more errors.
    Select Tools-STARTUP and see what's set to start with Windows.
    Shutdown everything except AntiVirus.
    Try RF2 again to see if it runs better.

11. DRat

DRat Registered

Good advice, but do not stop any Microsoft executables and services even if it's not clear what they are. It can result in a system that is crippled, at least for the moment.

Also, be very careful about running any "registry cleaner". All of them tend to identify items that are not really errors, and removing registry items that are not true errors can result in anything from no trouble at all to a system that will not even boot.

In the days of Win95-98 the registry got so garbaged so fast that cleaners were really good tools, but these days the registry has better integrity, and your modern anti-virus package usually includes anti-malware detection that will root any nasties out of your registry. Just a full system scan with your AV/AM package will be enough, along with the temp file cleaning that CCleaner does. If you must add any registry scanner, avoid any "registry cleaners" and download something like SpyBot, which will scan and clean malware but won't kill anything else in the registry.

In any case, create a restore point via the control panel before making any changes to the registry. SpyBot will do that automatically.

12. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Registered

Go in msconfig for startup processes and services starting up on boot that don't need to be (as is the case on the vast majority of windows boxes). That and disable indexing, as well as CCleaner temp file and registry stuff is decent.

13. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

Windows 7 is bloatware. The last great OS for Windows was XP. Clean and simple. Win7 has so much junk on it and is so cumbersome and its processes so convoluted that it would be easier to navigate the Nile in a spoon than it would be to figure out just what Win 7 is trying to accomplish.

14. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

Me too, Win7 64bit runs like a dream, I'm not complaining at all....infact all my games run better now in Win7 64 bit then they did on my old WinXP, and its more stable to :)

So my I am not sure what ther thread starters problem is, but it ain't Win7 64bit

15. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

I have no problems and i am running windows xp 32 bit sp3,although on medium settings.But it is ok.

16. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

LOL

Yes, everyone said the same thing when XP came out.

Win 7 actually uses resources better than any previous version of Windows. It will scale itself to the hardware installed.

My mother's old box has an AMD single core with only 1GB RAM. XP ran like a dog with that hardware. Win 7 runs like a champ.

Seriously, try running XP on that hardware and tell me which one is the real "bloatware".

Win 7 will use the resources you give it in the most efficient way. XP just uses resources...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2012
  17. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

Not true. XP was recognized as an excellent OS when it released, and is still regarded by many as the best OS Windows has released. I realize that everyone has to have the latest thing, but if you ask me (and you can ask the great majority of people) Win 7 is pure junk.

18. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

Nonsense, and you probably know that what you say is nonsense. But this is a little off-topic and I probably shouldn't have brought this comparison up in the first place. So I'll finish: XP is clean, without the silly frills and security annoyances and other junk found in Win7.

I'll guarantee that if you ran rFactor2 with XP and then tried Win7, with the same machine and configurations, you'd find that Win7 lags way behind XP in raw performance. If you want all the fancy stuff Win7 has to offer-- which I'm sure a lot of people do-- and are willing to sacrifice glitz for performance, then stay with Win7. I'll take performance.

Alan

19. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I'm sorry bit it IS true. Now, it's considered a great OS... and it is still.

But when it first came out, it was panned by reviewers and users alike.

But I would like you to show me one single review, by anyone, that says Win 7 is junk. And I don't mean forum postings. I mean a real review.

In fact, it's considered to be the best OS Microsoft has ever made.

If ALL you do is game, XP might be the better OS if you go by FPS alone. But as new games are being released, not even hard-core old-school gamers would take XP over Win 7.

lol @ "great majority"

I bet if we were to take a poll, this site or any other site, the "great majority" would choose Win 7 over XP my friend. Not even close.

Oh and BTW, Win 7 has overtaken XP as the world's most used OS.

Junk???

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2012
  20. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

My friend, there is a reason the recommended OS for rF2 is Vista or Win 7 64-bit.

We aren't talking gaming in general, we are talking this game only. ISI recommends Vista or Win 7.

That should tell you something. Remember, we are talking about this game only.

So if you think you know better than the Developers themselves, then please continue.

Or maybe you should take a moment to re-think your argument ;)