CSR Elite - FFB is *amazing* in rF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kondor, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Kondor

Kondor Registered

I don't know what ISI did, but their FFB implementation (at least with my CSRE) is unbelievably good.

This, after 20 years of sim racing (starting with a CH yoke and rudders playing 'Car and Driver'), is the first time I can truly say that the wheel feels exactly like the real deal. I've also had a minimal amount of experience driving on tracks (starting in '82 with my dad's Schnitzer 323i at Road Atlanta and most recently with my own M6 at VIR), and I can tell you that (for an amateur like me, anyway) rF2 + CSRE is a fantastic training tool for car control.

Great job, guys. You've really raised the bar on this one.

2. Dawson79

Dawson79 Registered

Hey,

What settings are you using for the wheel? I've tried a couple different variations and it's been definitely getting better but I would be interested in what you and other CSR Elite owners settings for the wheel are.

Thanks,

3. RBRacing

RBRacing Registered

I've never driven a racing car in real life, but for me the FFB is 10/10 too, and been playing since the old 8-bit days of Nigel Mansells Grand Prix :) Its maybe a long shot, but would love to see this FFB implemented in Rfactor 1, as it does feel awesome, especially in the 60s cars. Rfactor 2 has so much potential in general, which is great to see :cool:

4. Kondor

Kondor Registered

I kept everything stock, except I lowered the FFB to 0.4 or 0.5 in the controls settings. I prefer a number of different wheel degree locks, depending on the type of vehicle. I set that within the Fanatec wheel app in Windows.

270deg = open wheelers
    460deg = race cars
    900deg = street (the Megane Trophy cars work well with this - and even have the proper animation of the hands turning the wheel!)

No other tuning required. No messing with arcane ini files. It just works. And it's the best FFB I've ever felt.

By the way, the new GT Legends (that Simbin recently released via digital distro) also works extremely well with the CSRE (although not nearly as good as rF2). Again, no real tuning needed: just turn down the FFB to 50%, set the wheel lock and go. Be sure to always set the wheel effects to "low" in all ISI-derived sims so you don't get a bunch of crap canned effects.

Man, is this fun. rFactor2 combined with the CSRE is what I always dreamed about all these years. Finally!

Now bring on the mods :)

5. LoPaN

LoPaN Registered

how do you set the wheel effects to low in rfactor 2? I too have a csr elite and have been tweaking it for rf2, have an issue with my wheel now though its making a clicking noise when i turn the wheel even when its powered off, contacted tech support now to sit and wait :/

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Think he meant with the older gmotor games like rfactor 1, gtlegends, etc

7. Kondor

Kondor Registered

That's correct. Most people know to set it to Low, but it's a bit counter-intuitive to the uninitiated...

8. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

You can't nor do you need to, there aren't any canned effects anyway.

9. Kondor

Kondor Registered

By the way, I was sorry to see you having a hardware issue with your CSRE. It's such an amazing wheel, but I can't recall ever seeing so many reports of these small faults with other wheels - except perhaps with other Fanatec wheels :(

Fortunately, mine "only" had a dead power brick. 20 days later, I'm still waiting on a replacement. I had to go get a universal model for the princely sum of $79.95.

Still, it's the best wheel ever made. Assuming you get a good one. I think the situation will improve as they perfect the production process on this very new piece of equipment.

10. Alex Ball

Alex Ball Registered

Agree with the 'amazing' bit. I love it. All other sims feel dead now :(

11. bmwmaster

bmwmaster Registered

I have the CSR Elite too and can confirm that with RF2 the Race Feeling is the best i ever had.

Better than any other sim i ever drove........no need for iracing (with its strange New Tire Model) anymore.

12. Kondor

Kondor Registered

I heard all this great stuff about the FFB in iRacing and so I tried it today. Even bought $40 worth of cars just to be sure.

Well, it sucks. It does an ok job of self-centering appropriately and it's ok for determining when your fronts lock up under braking - but that's about it. I never felt the wheel go light as the front tires began to slip. It feels totally numb compared to even rF1. And rF2 is in an entirely different league.

Not impressed.

13. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

hi

is this possible to a CSRE owner to make a quick "test video" on rf2 ?

to show reactions of the wheel in specifics action to give an idea ;)

thanks

bye

14. BobDobbs

BobDobbs Registered

I played iRacing at a LAN event at Road America a couple of years ago and wasn't much impressed with their FFB either. It was supposed to be a demo for a high quality wheel/pedal setup, too, so that was a bit puzzling.

I have paid more attention to the rF2 FFB this week when driving (G25, stock rF2 settings) and have to admit it's noticeably better than rF1 so far. My only minor concern is that the static, car-at-rest force when initially starting to turn the wheel seems a bit lighter than when the wheel has moved a few degrees - whether the wheel is on-center or not. I've heard people ascribe this to the G25 gearing, but my G25 has no problem with the static force on GPL. (Sorry, I'm really not a GPL fanboy, and their dynamic FFB is years out of date, but the static force just feels right)

Edit: as noted in the other FFB thread I have to recant and state that the static force is just fine. Comparing a GPL F1 against one of the rF2 F1 models convinces me that there's no problem with the ISI code; perhaps my prior opinion was based on a car with a less refined suspension model, like the FR3.5...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2012
  15. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

For that price range perhaps. Pretty sure the ECCI 7000, possibly the Frex and some other even less known and more expensive wheels will still be better. =)

16. Valerio Kinex

Valerio Kinex Registered

ecci 7000?
    frex?

How come there is so much rich people on the internet?
    I though you were on the street occupying stuff with the Crysis.

Then another guys asking to pay 100 euro for a freaking mod...hard times.

17. hendrixlebt

hendrixlebt Registered

+1
    In my opinion also very very good FFB with the CSRE :)

18. thuGG

thuGG Registered

There is one user review of CSR-E compared to FREX mk1, and the guy wrote it's better than FREX. If he would have choice between CSR-E and FREX he would go with CSR-E.

19. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Has anyone tried the CSR non-Elite with rF2? I'm looking for an alternative for my G27 that doesn't cost $540. Also, is the non-Elite even available? The Fanatec on-line shop says AVAILABLE but when I click "buy it" it is not listed.

It's hard to believe my G27 has gone from really great to total sh!t overnight.

Edit:

Let me add this request of you Elite owners...

Can you decsibe how the static, car-at-rest force feels when initially starting to turn the wheel. As Bob Dobbs has described, his G25 (and for me the G27) give no initial resistance to turning the wheel. I feel a very definite ramping from zero to max resistance over about 1 or 2 degrees of rotation. (With a very small but definite zero resistance zone.) The same effect happens when veering from a straight line at speed except of course the "max" resistance is less.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2012
  20. steve30x

steve30x Registered

Aparently the Elite has a bit better feeling than the standard CSR. My question qould be is the standard CSR much better than my G25 (With its FFB starting to die)