Steering Wheels - Which is Best for PC Sims? (!!!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Glastolover, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Your supposed to be able to adjust the throw and tension seperately on those pedals.

2. rzr65

rzr65 Registered

Can anyone say me, if ACL for Fanatec Wheels is possible to use in rF2?

Thank You!

3. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Why wouldn't you be able to use any wheel in rF2? Never heard of ACL, so don't know if they use the standard DirectPlay interface, but there's absolutely no reason why Fanatecs wouldn't work.

4. blanes

blanes Registered

The new FW742beta for Fanatec wheels has a new setting selectable from the wheel "ACL" or Auto Clutch. I think he means that but there is no need to turn it on because rF2 already has an auto clutch feature in game.

Side note to this is that with this FW742 (I am using it) and the newest Driver 128 - rFactor2 is now unplayable because it refuses to load and black screens.

Fix is to go back to Fanatec Driver 126 unfortunately :(

5. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I think auto clutch only works in Forza, at least I couldn't get it to work with any pc sims when I tried.

6. steve30x

steve30x Registered

I got CSR Elite pedals and my Accelerator pedal is not very light. Its actually heavier than the accelerator in my brothers Nissan Primera P11 (2001) pedal. Also you can adjust the throw of the pedal and spring tension of those pedals.

7. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I know it can be adjusted, but the spring doesn't have enough adjustment travel, I have tried everything to make them how I like them, as with an F1 car or high power single seater, I would prefer a stiffer pedal but to get the stiffness I like, it means loosing a lot of throw.

8. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I think some people would in the respect that you can modulate the brake a lot better than with a potentiometer brake pedal. Comparing high end pedals with a h-pattern shifter in terms of lap times is silly, of course an h pattern is going to slow you down, whereas better brake feel could make you faster, that's common sense.

9. Nelson

Nelson Registered

I ordered the Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 Wheel Integral T500 package this weekend (there is a deal in a German online shop right now: 400€) since my old Logitech MOMO FF wheel (black one) is quite worn out now: Wobbling in center position, centering issues in rf2 after a couple of laps as well as annoying click sounds while rotating.

I was looking for a modern F1-style wheel with options for future custom modifications and decent pedals. Although the overall (technical) design of the Fanatec CSR Elite products seems to be superior, the prices for a combination of wheel, clamp, pedals, f1 rim were above my limit. That would be more than twice the price of the Thrustmaster package. I am looking forward to delivery now...

10. El Reprobatar

El Reprobatar Registered

And i'll look forward for your feedback!

11. Tiger

Tiger Registered

G27 still rules!!
    go for it ;)

12. daWave

daWave Registered

...speaking about simracing in general, i would agree totally. I had the G27 before and it was nice, better to say more than enough for every single sim.

Then came rFactor2, and it was little different.

Suddenly i was able to feel so much more details through the wheel, as i never felt before with sims like rFactor1 (leo & realfeel), Race07, even nkPro and iRacing dont offer that much details through the wheel.

So as i have all these superb FFB-Details in rF2 on one side, there was this annoying rattle of the Logitech's on the other side, so i decided to go the belt-driven-way...

I bought the THRUSTMASTER T500RS one week ago.

Simply amazing how this wheel lets you feel all the different details like accelerating, braking, slipping, sliding, curbing, off-roading, bumping... and it is faster than light ;) and still smooth and direct... just get off the wheel if your back end slips and it will countersteer automatically very quick, just need to do some little corrections, catch the slide and throttle straight away... really that much fun !

So conclusion:
    If youre not going to lock tyres under braking in iRacing's Mazda or simply not driving rF2 (the sim with the best FFB so far) then go for the G25/G27, 'cause its more than enough for all those poor-FFB-titles (compared to rF2).

If you want to drive rF2, what is the reason you're here for i guess, you should definately go for a belt-driven-wheel like the TM T500RS, which is actually the cheapest/best wheel available (got mine for €400 on amazon including pedals i dont use). Add some ClubSport-Pedals and youre good for the best experience in simracing so far.

PS: i doubt that spending more money on CSR-E or even CSW will add that much more of immersion, details or smoothness. So T500RS and rF2 is the ultimate combination here !

13. You can also install Driver 129 which is fine for me! ;)

14. Nelson

Nelson Registered

15. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Couldn't agree more! I could not afford a T500, but switching from G27 to a belt drive Fanatec was like a night and day difference!

Truly worth it.

16. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Same for me. G27 rattle is a big flaw. It misrepresents subtle FFB info. "Dumbing it down" only degrades it's response. Could only afford a non-elite CSR but am quite happy with it. I run it at gain 1.4 in-game and I can feel twitches and bumps the way they are meant to be felt.

17. dest1ny49

dest1ny49 Registered

I love driving rFactor2 with my T500RS! I had Logitech Momo/DFP/G25 and Fanatec GT3RS/Turbo-S before, but the Thrustmaster T500RS is way better than all other.
    Recently I bought the F1-Wheel-Addon and this makes the T500RS even better, more speed, more precision, more "feeling" - perfect for Formula- or GT-Cars.
    I stressed my T500RS a lot till now, but it is still in perfect shape - so no need to worry about durability.

18. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I sometimes wish I had gone with the T500RS, such an awesome wheel! I think it's the best trade off of performance/price.

19. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

If not taking price into account, I'd say CSW+CSP is the best set for me (I'm/was a beta tester). T500RS is behind in some areas (less precision, worse pedals) but on the other hand, has stronger FF and 1080* rotation (which I find useful from time to time).

Price-wise? I think G27 and slightly behind would be T500RS.

20. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

How is the FF in the T500 RS stronger? Sincerely wondering, because the only real measurements I've seen show that the CSW can move and especially accelerate and change direction much faster than the T500 RS, which would suggest more power overall. How exactly does the T500 RS feel stronger, how does it manifest itself?