converting tracks

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by les, Jan 26, 2012.

1. WheelNut

WheelNut Banned

if i place the main texture in the Joesville track you can clearly see the chequers in the alpha channel
    [​IMG]
    same texture on my track and you can't see the chequers anywhere around the track
    [​IMG]
    and this is what it looks like in the main game it gets this purple to the track
    when dry you only see the purple in a distance like a haze when its wet it looks like this
    [​IMG]
    thanx

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2012
  2. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Ok, cool...that helps out quite a bit, hopefully. A couple of things to double-check that would be different on your track vs. the Joesville (sorry if they're obvious--just want to check the basics first, that's just off the top of my head):
    1.) your own track object is called "racesurface_<whatever>" (replace <whatever> with anything you want)
    2.) you have the "reflectedenv" reflection plane set up properly (see rF2_Track_Technologyv3.pdf for how to do this)

3. WheelNut

WheelNut Banned

i have named it racesurface_01 as for the reflection plane i made a single plane the size of the track sat it just under the track named it
    refPlane_Global set up the converter and kept Use Local Plane unticked selected REFLECTEDENV in the material editor under reflection mapper and thats it i think i'm getting this wrong

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2012
  4. ethone

ethone Registered

I've seen purple patches appear from the dynamic racing groove when you have the Road material but the instances in the .scn are not named RaceSurface* - so are the instances named correctly? Tagged Deform=true?

5. WheelNut

WheelNut Banned

i have named it as such and have set to Deform=true
    i give up

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2012
  6. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Hi Folks

Made some progess with my Track converter. Driving, timing, AIW, dust, force feed effects, cones and signs behaviour, acoustics, friction, transparency and wet effects, is working excelent. The GMT file structure is very similar to the old MTS file structure of F1RC.
    For every Material i can indiviually adjust the new rF2 shaders and textures, automaticly by naterialname or by manually definitions. Missing textures from source, i add as good as possible new, or use similar textures and spec or bump normal maps.
    Until now, i struggle with in car visibility range with big objects, like long real road track sections of more than 600 m.
    In race, the textures of big objects are vanishing (similar to pictures above) to a invisible track. Driving on invisible roads is still posible.
    The behind Car camera has a much bigger visibility Range.
    Some special effects still not yet good working, like glowing effects, nightlight, animations, but i'm quite near to solution. The Track is loaded, but i cant see these effects. (didn't find the sequenz parameter in GMT Files). Some trees are floating some m above ground.

Driving with rF2 is great, so i keep on working to drive my favorite Tracks with rF2 as soon as possible.

Leonardo. ;)

7. OPM

OPM Registered

will there be a possible public release of this? i want to have some of my favorite stuff ingame, starting from scratch seems pretty hard for me at the moment (spare time and i haven't done any track editing so far, only car stuff, and that is still reaching back to rF1 times)

just curious. the track i mostly want to convert is probably never going to see a "official port" from the author, therefore i wanted to take it on

8. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Thanks for your Internets.

The converter isnt finished yet.
    For now i checked the glow activities in the startlight .GMTs and fixing my bugs at .GMT Files with more than one objetcs, by creating prototype materials. If some material parameters arent Set correctly, the road is black, or slippery like ice.
    First my converter builds up the needed path structure of the Track, with all the needed loading pictures and icons, AIW file, CAM and material file. For the correct icons format a nVidia DDS tool is necessary.
    My converter still needs first unpacked readable individual .MTS Files or old rF1 .GMT files. Only Race On addon tracks provide the .GMTs unpacked. I use 3DSimed for this. Next step is to read each GMT and convert it to the New rF2 .GMT file structure (which is a Bit tricky). Therefore my converter Reads the .TRK or .SCN file and "translate" each file to rF2 Format.
    Only AIW file from Race on/07 are Working with rF2, but some small entries have still to be added.
    Next step is to paint loading icons, in rF2 Design.

You See there are several manual actions necessary, so that only the converter alone is not the whole thing.
    Give me some further weeks, for better progress and let me know, which is your favourite Track. May be i could try and test converting this track next (I'm working on Hockenheim for now)

Leonardo ;)

9. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

The converter isnt still finished yet.

I still have to fix some issues at my conversion of startlight and glows- GMTs and also the transparency of some trees, but conversion of tracks had made some nice progress. My Hockenheim now is drivable, with AIW opponents.

Driving favourite tracks brings a lot of additional fun with rFactor2, because of the realistic simulation.
    Image Space Incorporated (ISI) did a very good job, very cool.

Leonardo :cool:

View attachment 3155

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2012
  10. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Now that there is a beta of 3DSimED that supports rF2, has someone been successful in converting an existing rF1 track into rF2?

I did some basic experiments and was after a while able to get the track to load in the game (!), but it's not drivable and looks like it's covered in light blue mist...

Some assumptions:
    - The old sky dome is obsolete
    - Old animations of type "Video" with .bik files mapped didn't work. Is there anything similar now? I read about the frame buffer material property, but that seems like a camera to video type mapping. Is there any way to map a pre-recorded video and display it?
    - There are plenty of new .gdb properties, particularly latitude/longitude/time zone related stuff

The "RGB" .gdb properties were commented as "obsolete" in the stock track .gdb that I looked in, is this correct?
    Will rF1 .aiw files work, or do they have to be redone?

Any tips or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

EDIT:
    1) The light blue mist was actually, well, mist. :) Turns out the FogDensity .scn value has changed drastically.
    2) After a while I realized that *all* materials on which you plan to drive need to be covered in the .tdf file, otherwise they will have zero friction.
    3) Now I just need to figure out why the game crashes when I reach the pit lane...
    4) Crashing was caused by the pitglow and startglow instances. Track is now drivable!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2012
  11. Dany Mitchel

Dany Mitchel Registered

Hi all I have my Map in Max and I cant get the GMT Converter settings right can anyone shed some light on what settings I need to make to export my Track so i can add it to Dev mods and test it out
    any help would be greatly received

12. ethone

ethone Registered

Which parts of the track? Different parts need different settings (under the Instance rollout).

13. B. Gant

B. Gant Registered

Why isn't this being done more? I mean if the original track creators cant convert, why not give the permissions to those who can. rF2 needs more tracks....weather, changing conditions and all that fancy stuff can be done later.

14. ethone

ethone Registered

Probably because nobody even asked for permission. CTDP is still looking for someone to convert Bahrain as far as I know, and they quite openly asked if anyone would take that up.
    There just aren't many track modders out there at the moment.

15. McNolo

McNolo Registered

I offered myself to convert Bahrain and this is what CTDP told me:

"We're currently working together with somebody else on a Bahrain conversion and it will be more likely a V3 instead of a simple conversion. That's why we won't give anybody permission to convert right now."

I don't know if it's true or not, but anyway I'm doing my own conversion to private use.

16. ethone

ethone Registered

Ah ok, I didn't know that. I hadn't heard anything since the last call for someone to convert, I guess they do have found someone in the meantime.

17. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Hi,

My converter found some further improovement, and I would like to ASK for conversion permittance. Would like to test my converter.

I converted Hockenheim, for privat testing purpose, also nardo, Weissach and some other, to test my GMT file maker, without Simed or 3Dsmax.
    Now I've startet to build a new Track from scratch: the 2012 munich DTM track at Olympia Stadium. Im solved the startlight animation problem, thats now working. (Startglow transparency isnt glowing yet correctly) Right now im testing a two lane symmetrical AIW, hope it Works some day.

When this munich track is drivable, and good enough for release i will post it, but until this i have to improove the GMT conversion and material handling between old and new shaders.

Leonardo :D

18. Mauro

Mauro Registered

anyone is working on F1 1979 trackpack?

19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Dear Leonardo,

I have been trying the whole afternoon to convert an rfactor track to rfactor2 using 3dsimed.
    I open the scn file, export to rfactor2 objects and pack the rfcmp with the new gmt and scn files. I install the track.
    When the track loading is almost finished it crashes without any error message
    Should I go through Mod Dev first to generate new AIW, GDB, TDF and CAM files or the ones from rf1 are OK?

Thanks in advance,

This is the link to my rf1 track. (some bugs need to be fixed 95%WIP)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ocqfplbboue68w/BlackHoleRing.7z

This one is the link to the rfcmp that does not work
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qcckzg3svruz6r/BlackHoleRing.rfcmp

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2012
  20. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Hi, Tanks for reply.

I found out, some reasons for crash, could be some moveable "flat" parts in .scn file like cones, or signs. Try to eliminate f.e. Signs out of the .scn file to get the track loaded. To get moveable signs without Crash, they should have a dimension in x,y and z, like a Box.

I now also have 3dSimed 3, and conversion results are mostly good and usable, but sometimes, there are some shader transparency issues, and the dds files have to be reworked, especially at alpha channel and for Materials, that uses colorkey.

In my converter i now rename automaticly old materialnames of old tracks to those, that rF2 can handle. rF2 treats unknown materials as pure Ice with Zero grip. The accepted rF2 Materials are listed in the .tdf file, like "Road" or "tree" and have to be defined in Material- name. Old materials like "line_xx" "grid_xx" are treated as ice.

My munich track with single AIW is working, i'm working on decals. The track is very small (olympia stadion) and hard to drive.

I'm very busy right now, and have only limited time, but i would like to release a converted track as soon as possibly. I'm still looking for permission to convert a Track. :)

Leonardo