rFactor 2 Telemetry Plugin

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jan 26, 2012.

1. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Registered

I just replied here with an image but it says it's awaiting a moderator to approve it, I guess because it has an image in it? So expect to see that here soon sometime, lol. Anyway about your pm, tried to respond with it there but your PM's are full

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, sorry about that... got two emails today... wish it gave more warning before blocking PMs.. lol

*Changed thread title... nothing else.

3. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Registered

So my reply with an embedded image didn't go through, I'll try again in more detail linking to the images instead of embedding them.

OK, It's this simple. In the motec options, check this box and point it to the directory where the plugin creates your logs. It can also be a local dropbox folder where a league teammate across the world is writing logs to during a race, or a network share mapped to a windows drive for another PC on your lan. Motec doesn't like direct network links like //fohdeesha/shared/motec, so in windows create a new network drive (like drive X:) and point that to the shared location, and chose the drive X: path in motec.

seen here - http://i.imgur.com/8QKLZXZ.png (the top "load data after device unload" can be unchecked, it's not related to this). just be sure to check "automatically load log data" and then point it to the right directory

Now, if you have your favorite project/layout but no opened log data in it yet, as soon as motec sees a log file written there, it will open it in the project and display all your telemetry data. However motec is smart and now that it already has logged data imported and being displayed, it's not going to wipe it out of your face and replace it while you're still working on it. So what happens the second lap, or the second time it sees another new log file, it imports the logged lap(s) and they're ready for you to analyse them. Simply click View at the top then Data Window, or hit F8. This is where all the automatically imported laps will be showing up, just click the newest one or whichever when you're done studying the current one, and it'll pull it up in the telemetry windows.

here - http://i.imgur.com/q19Cbis.png

So yeah, realtime telemetry analysis of either someone currently in your cockpit, or of a league mate currently in an endurance session is more or less ready for prime time, Lazza would just need to add an option in the ini that would turn on per-lap writing of complete log files. You can use this system semi-realtime as it is, recieving your mates current lap telemetry as soon as he pits (that's when the plugin currently writes out a complete log file that motec will pick up and open)

It's quite nifty sitting at my workstation and watching motec automatically bring up and display my buddies telemetry as soon as he pits, really hope we can get it doing this every lap or two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJJog4BJrUw&t=1m25s ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2014
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There you go, they showed up now :)

I wonder how many hundred times I've gone straight past that option... including again yesterday when I had another 'look' after you mentioned the capability...

5. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Registered

Hey Lazza, creator of my favorite plugin, any possible ETA for an updated version that works with the new i2 versions? the 1.1 versions add a couple nice features and UI changes but logs not working with them.

And dare I ask...any plans to also add configurable per lap log writing for real time telemetry? :)

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I've half aborted my complete rewrite to try and save time... half aborted because I still wanted to change this and that and it's meant starting to change a lot of things I wanted to change... all this behind the scenes though, no features as such. No ETA but hopefully in the fairly near future for the next version now. Per lap might have to wait for the next round because it might take a bit of reworking :)

7. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Registered

sounds good :)

8. javirulo007

javirulo007 Registered

take it easy. We will wait

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Appreciate the patience guys :eek:

The entire logging back end is now rewritten and working, slowly adding all the channels again (forgot just how many there are... and a few more now, there will be very little available game-provided data that isn't logged in some shape or form), then will finally look at repackaging and hopefully adding some stuff to help with setup management.

Should be a handful (let's estimate 4-5) of weeks away now with some league and other tasks to take care of.

I do have to warn the next version(s) could be potentially unstable with the rewritten (but more efficient, flexible, and maintainable) code. It simply won't have the hundreds (thousands?!) of hours of personal testing behind it like my previous rF1/2 version. Also with limited testing I suspect i2Pro 1.1 isn't yet as stable as 1.0, but both will work.

10. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Great work Lazza you are a marvel really appreciate your efforts. Your plugin is just the best thing since sliced bread. Happy Australia Day

11. javirulo007

javirulo007 Registered

no problem mate. we will do the tests for you ;)

12. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Registered

Awesome news! Any update is a good update. Looking forward to giving the new version a try

13. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Signal for Steered Angle

I would need the the signal for steered angle but can't find it in the logged channels. Everything in the INI file is on but when I search for the channel I only find a value in percent.

Please advise how I can get the steered angle in degrees.

14. McFlex

McFlex Registered

You could use the toe channel for it

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, for now you can use toe, or multiply the steering % by your known steering lock. The next version will be able to do the latter itself.

16. Joe Ethier

Joe Ethier Registered

Hey guys,

My friend is racing in FSR on rFactor 2 and I am its engineer. We want a good organisation so I want to get its car's live data in a telemetry program like Motec.

So I wanted to know how we could do that... I am using your plugin with Motec Monitor, Motec i2 Pro or Standart.

Thanks for your help !
    Joe

17. Freddy3792

Freddy3792 Registered

He is currently working on writing the file after each lap. Currently it is not possible. If that is implemented you would have the data one lap delayed, which should be pretty handy as you can monitor everything with MoTec. Even things like Aero damage etc. Sim nerds wet dream.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, lap-by-lap will probably be the most I'd do on that, properly live telemetry is another kettle of fish entirely. In several ways.

19. crz

crz Registered

The 64 bit version doesn't log any data, it just writes a .ldx file which looks like this:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <LDXFile Version="1.6" Locale="English">
      <Layers>
        <Details>
          <String Id="Total Laps" Value="1"/>
        </Details>
      </Layers>
    </LDXFile>
    The 32 bit version works fine. Am I missing something?

20. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

The motec plugin is one of the most usefull plugins I know. Unfortunately the plugin is not loaded correctly when doing a driver swap - I would highly appreciate if this can be improved with the next release as well.