rFactor 2 Telemetry Plugin

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Coanda

Coanda Registered

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Thanks. That was quick. I'll try and let u know how it went

enviado mediante tapatalk

3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The template is very similar or even the same to the one I was using. Many channels show no data which bothers me a lot making several sheets useless.
    Thanks anyway

4. lemming77

lemming77 Registered

Excellent stuff Lazza :) Some great channels here. I'm at a little bit of a loss as to what to do with some of them, and now have a bunch of pages in my Motec projects which I put there 'because I can', but hey, never know when inspiration strikes, right? :)

I've noticed also that somewhere along the line, the drag channel is a more in tune with what I predict now when designing aero for mods. That used to be tiny compared to what I'd expected. Though I assume this is something in the plugin interface.

A little question too-- The GPS fields. Is anyone else finding that they're just completely blank for a short period during every lap, and the same spot every time? Again, I assume this is just a problem with what you get from the plugin interface, but it does have me curious.

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I have modified my motec project to show the new rubber temperatures an it is just great. It shows more constant values than regular Tyre temps so it is easier to see the relationship between them and the average value evolution throughout the laps.

6. McFlex

McFlex Registered

7. lemming77

lemming77 Registered

Aha, never knew that existed. Thank you, that's sorted everything :D

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I believe I may have accidentally scaled that incorrectly before... by a factor of 10... :eek:

9. lemming77

lemming77 Registered

Aha, explains a lot :p No worries, all's good now anyway :)

10. Coanda

Coanda Registered

Would anyone be able to tell me what maths equation they use to work out the degrees of slip angle?

I am also curious about this observation. If I have centre tyre surface temp that never exceeds the inner surface temp, is it possible to have a centre rubber temp exceed the inner rubber temp. That is what I am finding on my FR tyre. Is this possible?

cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2014
  11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I haven't done any such calculation but I imagine if you atan() the difference between the patch and ground velocities it would get you there.

Tyre temps seem to react little to pressures at this point. I haven't tried many different mods to be fair, so if some of the tyres behave better I'm not aware of it, but from what I've seen if the centre of the tyre is hotter or cooler than the edges any normal (ie available as part of the setup range) pressures probably won't be able to change that. Waiting for an update from ISI that 'fixes' that so in the meantime just try a few different pressures and see what feels or works better for you.

12. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Okay, this is mindblowing. Thanks for all the hard work with the plugin and templates.

I only had basic experience of in-game telemetry tools before, but this is so awesome...

Is it possible to map SPACE for activation/deactivation, though? Or a spare button on the wheel?

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
  13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think it's only set up to accept the letters A-Z and an optional single modifier (Ctrl, Alt, or Shift). I'm not planning on adding more options on that at this stage.

As for getting a wheel button to do it, try doing similar to this post; mimicking the keypress (such as Ctrl-M) with a wheel/controller button is quite possible:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3336-rFactor-2-Motec-Plugin?p=247462&viewfull=1#post247462

I'm still curious why you'd want such easy access when logging doesn't cause any issues and Motec is really designed for complete runs rather than spot-reading values, but go for it... ;)

14. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Thanks for the answer.

I'm a bit paranoid on writing stuff to my SSD, not sure how much temp data this generates when running.

Also I haven't found yet how to 'cut' a lap from Motec, and keeping a reference archive with 100s of laps seems unwieldly. So my intention was to capture 3 or 4 laps at a time. I'm sure there's a better way...

But yeah, I know those are a bit 'special' reasons.

15. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

BTW, I had the AI drive a bit to generate a "fast reference"... Seems their pedals are rather binary.

16. lemming77

lemming77 Registered

The AI's inputs look binary to me from the outside too. Often when they're trailing the brakes, you see their lights blink on/off as well as a little oscillation in their movement as they rapidly switch between on/off the brakes. I guess it still counts as 50% braking during that phase, right? :p

As for individual slip angles, I'm doing what Lazza suggested with the contact velocities. This is my formula for the FL, the result is in radians. It produces nothing below 1m/s though, just to prevent erratic results at low speeds.

Code:
    choose(abs('Long Ground Vel FL' [m/s]) > 1, atan2('Long Ground Vel FL' [m/s], 'Lat Ground Vel FL' [m/s]) + ('PI' [] * 0.5), 1/0)
    One thing I'm finding with this is the toe angles surprised me. In a straight line, this illustrates toe angles relative to the other wheel, whereas I always thought the toe setting was angle from straight. But either way, it works. And the slip angles also appear correct through corners, settling in a realistic range.

Repeated this for the other 3 corners, and then you can also get a fairly effective oversteer/understeer channel from this too if you'd like.

(Output in Degrees this time)
    Code:
    (abs('RL Lat Slip' [deg]+'RR Lat Slip' [deg])-abs('FL Lat Slip' [deg]+'FR Lat Slip' [deg]))*0.5

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Regarding slip angles, wouldn't you need to factor in the patch velocities? Bear in mind I haven't given this much thought, I made sure I got the channels working and scaled correctly but haven't played with them from an analysis point of view at all :)

AI inputs unfortunately won't be much good, as you've found. They use different tyres and presumably a simpler physics engine, with a bit of AI specific tweaking on top to get them somewhere close to realistic on overall speed (depending who's made the mod, of course), so not much of the telemetry would be useful.

18. lemming77

lemming77 Registered

To be honest, I found that just the ground velocities was giving good results. As ultimately we're looking for the deviation from straight. For longitudinal slip, I would want to take longitudinal patch velocity into account though, or something like it. (I already estimate this by wheel RPM, which gives slightly less erratic results. Not sure why, need to investigate more, in case I can avoid constantly adjusting radius constants)

19. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I was hoping it would be a reference to improve my driving in detail... Well, the top straight speed should be realistic at least I guess, so I can overlay my own lwps on that hopefully.

20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

There is a line in plr where it says something about AI using real physics. I am not sure if it is working or not.

It would be just awesome if changes in setups would fully affect own driver AI which I guess it would not such a computational load. And, if it is, who cares as long as it plays its role.

I wonder also why own AI level cannot be increased????. When I increase opponents level to 120, my own AI becomes a moving turtle.
    I didn't understand this in rf1 and still dont in rf2. Maybe some brilliant mind could explain this...