rFactor 2 Telemetry Plugin

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Cool :)

DanZ's voice samples are no doubt easier to understand at first, I obviously had the advantage of creating the 'beeps' and therefore knowing exactly what they meant - and for me they were less intrusive every time I jumped into the car. I might look at TTS but the ones I've dabbled with in the past were pretty... erm... robotic ;)

2. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I have a problem with the plugin. It causes my game to fall out of real time. It goes into slo-mo but with good frame rates. The way it'll happen is I get in to the room (off line or online) and do everything like normal and hit the track and it's fine. I can do 1 lap or a whole race, as long as I stay on track it's fine. As soon as I return to the pits and go back to the track, it'll work fine until I get out of the pits, then it falls out of real time.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Is that with logging on? Does it go back to normal if you switch it off while still driving?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Does it happen with AI driving your car? Have you updated your T500 RS drivers/firmware as asked in the thread you made regarding this issue (and ISI's posts regarding that wheel and FFB causing slow motion) ?

5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I haven't tested it with logging off. I always had logging on.

Latest T500 drivers.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well... ok... if you could try that at some point it would probably help. I'm assuming the plugin is actually functioning correctly (creating log files). If you've changed any of the settings from default you could try putting them back, or seeing if there's any pattern to it (maybe higher data rates cause/exacerbate the problem).

I haven't been able to replicate this issue, and no one else has said anything (there's been upwards of 500 downloads, and although I'm sure many of those didn't actually get the link from this forum I'd say there's still a fair few 'testers' who know where to report a problem :) ... so right now you're the only feedback I've got for it.

My wheel reference was because you hadn't replied in your original bug post thread after close to a day, so I thought it best to eliminate that before assuming it was the plugin.

7. Tiger

Tiger Registered

alright, I have put the plugin and log folder in the rf2 root folder, set a few things in the ini file, and aprt form the place where the plugin put the logs, eveerything is fine, works fine with the latest motec pro, the 1.18,
    and every section is available, just need to set them!
    great job!!
    thanks ;)

and by the way, there is no issue about logging in while driving, just better to set it on in the ini file and turn it off in race...

one question : can it be set in dualview on a second monitor and be realtime telemetry?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

JuanitoRPM has eluded to this capability, I'll look into it but sure not about it.

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The plugin was working fine for what it did. I changed the directory that the log files were saved to (still on the same local drive) but otherwise I don't think i changed anything.

I'll re-download and try again and not change anything.

Once I got rid of the plugin the game didn't go into slo-mo again and I still have the same wheel. But with the latest drivers I never had issues with this wheel anyway. I'll report back after I have a chance to mess with this again.

10. Senna94

Senna94 Registered

it is possible to show how much raining is on the track?

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, thanks for that. It's a weird one... I'd expect a code error to be a bit more widespread in its effects (ie affecting more people), but while the plugin undoubtedly places extra strain on the CPU which could push the sim over the edge as far as maintaining realtime, the fact that it's doing it only after the first run doesn't make any sense either. Exiting the pits should also make no difference, unless it happens to coincide with the logging beginning after the 20 second plugin delay.

Strange stuff.

Well, the plugin interface does include a 'mRaining' figure in the scoring updates, which is supposed to be a percentage of rain severity. Pretty sure that's been there since rF1 (inactive, obviously) and I haven't checked to see if it does anything in rF2.

However... given that rF2 already has localised weather (can be raining where you are but fine and sunny on another part of the track, or vice versa) I think the usefulness of it could be called into question. Motec doesn't have any sort of 'weather map' capability even if rF2 were to provide current conditions across the whole track (remember Motec is designed for real telemetry, so it tends to 'fall short' where programs built for specific games can throw in more info you couldn't really capture in real life) so trying to analyse lap times while factoring in weather conditions is probably an unrealistic goal.

But, presumably more like real life, rF2 doesn't really provide a static environment for comparing laps to the Nth-degree anyway - with tracks rubbering up, varying sunlight/temperature, subtle changes in track moisture and wind direction/strength, you're really limited to looking at how the suspension etc is behaving rather than patching together 20 laps and saying "there, that's what I should be trying to do and that's the time I can achieve". Unless you test in a practice session with all the dynamic stuff disabled, in which case you wouldn't need to log weather to know what it's doing anyway.

If mRaining is actually producing figures I might throw it in at 1Hz just for interest's sake. (along with 'cloud darkness', on- and off-path wetness, and wind strength/direction; I'd probably just group these under 'weather conditions' and make them optional)

12. Tiger

Tiger Registered

hi'
    so, after a while using this plugin with success, I have just a kinda weird problem, if I set the directory for log in absolute way (ie C:program Files (x86)\rf2\LOG\), it doesn't work, and it sends all to rf2 root folder, same of I set the default way to the LOG folder (ie \LOG\), it' all finishes in the root folder...
    it's not a big problem, since every single log works fine, but I just would have liked to get them in the LOG folder, any idea?

13. Novis

Novis Registered

Thanks Lassa! Great stuff!

14. Tiger

Tiger Registered

well, found the problem and now all logs go to the LOG folder in rf2!!
    so leave the default way, it's fine ;)

very satisfied!!
    thanks again ;)

15. Novis

Novis Registered

Great stuff, but I have a problem... After a few runs I get severe lagging and my log file gets full of:

02/03/12 22:38:21 Error creating file:
    02/03/12 22:38:21 C:\rFactÛ¯n²ata\Telemetry\Portugal GT Layout - P2 - 03-02-2012 - 22-38-21.ldtemp

The path has been corrupted and the plugin fails to save the file. I'm using the latest version (Jan 26).

I will test with a relative path and see what happens.

Two possible improvements:
    - When failing to save the file, don't try again during the same run (at least not 50 times a second) .
    - Add version information to the dll.

Update: I haven't had any problems yet with a relative path so the bug seems related to absolute paths only.

Update 2: I get corrupt paths with relative pathname also. The result this time was less fatal though as Windows could construct a complete filename, putting the file in my relative root. It is characters 9-12 that get overwritten and it usually happens already after the first run.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2012
  16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Nice bug report :D , thanks for that.

I'll look into it, hopefully can reproduce it (honestly don't think I ever changed the log folder from "LOG\") and confirm a fix.

Seems likely it could be related to Guy's problem above as well.

17. pinkeye

pinkeye Registered

Steering angle and Breaking

Hi, I have one question. I installed the plugin motec and it probably works fine. Probably because when I view the logs in the i2 PRO - I do not know why but I can not display the parameters steered angle, overster and Braking. Why?

The second question, I can not find the file MotecPlugin.ini

Sorry for the ignorance but I am used os x and windows 7 64 bit is new to me :)

Best regards
    Przemek

18. pinkeye

pinkeye Registered

19. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Fantastic plugin,Thankyou.Now i just need to learn how to use the telemetery.
    :p

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Novis, pretty sure I've found the cause of your error, I'll test it and throw in the optional weather info, should have a new version up tonight (12 hours or less from now).

pinkeye, I'll answer your question later too - the data is there, just a matter of referencing it properly in Motec. And I'll make it set a 'one-size-fits-all' wheelbase so the Oversteer calcs work more easily.