BOOST your framerate !

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by GauchoRS, Jan 23, 2012.

1. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

Switching from fullscreen mode to windowed mode nearly doubled the framerate on 3 installations I know from (INTEL, AMD, ATI grafic cards). So give it a try and please report here if you have success.

Obs.: I noticed that in 'native resolution' of the monitor, rFactor2 (windowed mode) will not show the classical border of the window.

2. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

:) I dont think its about boosting your frame rate its more of a balancing act- getting 60 fps with good graphics is better than 100 with horrible graphics.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  3. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

Mine does that but makes the stutter worse so I try and avoid it.

4. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

agreed, but I did not change any graphic setting, but got 30 fps with high settings in fullscreen. In windowed mode it´s running now between 50 and 60 fps

5. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

I just tested this on WinXP, and I didn't notice any difference in FPS at all. However, one thing I did notice is that when I ran in full screen, the configuration set in the nVidia control panel took effect, while it didn't when running windowed. (Even though it looks exactly like fullscreen) If you have higher quality settings in the graphics control panel profile than in the rFconfig settings, that would explain the FPS boost. Nonetheless, it's an interesting experiment to try. :)

6. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Yeah Increasing all video card settings to max and then rasing or lowering the graphics from in game get ]the best results fr FPS and Graphics.

7. Alex Ball

Alex Ball Registered

No difference for me, either.

8. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

I boosted my framerate and lag free since I underclocked my CPU to stock (quadcore 2.66Ghz) weird hein? and then applied new OC settings. result -> for rFactor its the same 2.66 or 3.4 Ghz lol

9. hoover

hoover Registered

That actually makes sense considering the cpu is more or less idling (the load on any core never exceeds 30% or so) in rF2.

Cheers, Uwe

10. Nielty

Nielty Registered

I just tried to run RF2 in windowed mode and my FPS decreases with 10FPS so for me it does not work

11. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Who would want to play a game in a window? Minesweeper is the only game that can get away with being in windowed mode.

12. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

As I said it does work for me and I don't need to run windowed to get the boost. But as I get lag after doing it it's not really an option. I think it only works for ATI cards.

13. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Tried in Win7 and it is indeed a huge improvement for me. I used to run with mostly a high mid setting without AA, 8x AF (shadows high, blur off, rain drops on, others off) and was getting a consistently staying above 30 FPS with 19 AI cars (20 cars visible), starting from the back row at Mills. With this I could put everything on high, turn shadows to max, turn blur on, set AF to 16x and AA to Level 3 (helps with the various hanging wires around Mills), turn road reflection on and still had consistently over 30 fps during start at Mills with 19 AI cars. Didn't even slow down in the first corner, and after that the FPS got better, to around 60 by the first straight. Everything on Full/Max with Environment Reflections and Wind & Crowd Motions turned out to be a bit too much still, especially with AA Lvl3, but it's definitely a great improvement.

Thanks for the tip!

14. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Strange, here a reduction of 25 to 30 FPS (!!) even with the Nvidia settings to low.

Thanks for the tip anyway; was worth a try!

15. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I'm hardly ever running rFactor on full screen, all mod dev work I do on window as if I accidently make error when editing files and rfactor freezes it is a lot easier to shut down, also lot easier to open files and do any of such stuff when running windowed, alt-tab is always such a risky thing that I don't use that at all, not with any game.

With rF1 I get half the fps when windowed mode, nice to know that rF2 is better windowed, but there goes hope from improvements in frame rate too for me as I have always used windowed mode in rF2.

I'll take fps over pretty slide show any day though :D

16. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

When I set the game to run in a window at my monitors native resolution, the borders don't show up on the monitor, so it looks exactly like running it full screen. The only way to tell that it's running in a window at all is that I can click out of the program without the associated screen flashes and stability problems, and my secondary monitor shows the border. So the border is there, but the window is adjusted to fit the screen you're playing on perfectly.

And yeah, using AMD Radeon HD6870. When I've adjusted everything so that the game doesn't stutter and is playable even in a worst case scenario (20 cars bundled up in a tight corner with collisions happening everywhere) when windowed, and go back to fullscreen, the game loses about 20% FPS, and stuttering starts to happen.

17. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

You're running an nVidia card, and it seems that the trend is that only ATI/AMD cards get this performance boost, nVidia works best fullscreen.

18. Nils

Nils Registered

On my system this is not correct. My dual-core 2.66 GHz has big problems, framerate offline was about 20 and got up to 40 when I overclocked to about 3 GHz. Graphic settings don´t have a big impact on my framerate.
    But I had problems with full cpu load on rFactor 1 and Simbin´s offspring too...
    The windowed mode didn´t change anything (nVidia 285 GTX)

19. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

I don't know how things work with ATI cards, but with nVidia going to windowed mode almost always lowers frame rates, and rather significantly too.

Alan

20. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

It's usually the same with ATI cards, it just highlights the fact that something is messed up. I actually don't get the performance boost in windows but I do get it when I go back into the game after alt-tabing out.