Will rFactor2 Graphic Be As Good As Project CARS?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by taufikp, Jan 23, 2012.

1. taufikp

taufikp Registered

The video below is from Project CARS Pre-Alpha Build 101. I don't know about its physics (some says its physics is terrible, but hey, P-CARS is still in pre-alpha build!) or its graphic performance, but I really have no doubt that P-CARS graphics engine is drop dead beautiful. Two steps ahead of gMotor in terms of presentation.

I am now really hoping that ISI will upgrade their gMotor in terms of performance and presentation, before the final release date.

2. greyfox485

greyfox485 Registered

Personally, I am not that concerned if rFactor 2 does not look like pCARS. I think you will need a top of the line system to get pCARS to look like the video you have shown. On my system, it definitely does not look like that. And I am not going to go out and buy a bunch of new hardware just for 1 game.

So for me, rFactor 2's graphics are just fine. As long as they get optimized and I can run it at max settings at a decent frame rate, I'll be perfectly happy.

3. taufikp

taufikp Registered

I couldn't agree more. At the moment I'm hoping ISI will fix those graphic related problems first, push the performance as well, before adding more visual eye-candy stuff to gMotor.

4. Anonim

Anonim Registered

The only PRO P.c.ar.s. has over rFactor 2 is its graphics. Everything else is ...light years below rFactor 2: it's physics, car handling and overall simulation behavior. They still have to implement dynamic weather, and much more. We have to see how it goes after 6 month at least. For now it's only graphics and decent sim.. nothing more.

5. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Blah... C.A.R.S ain't all that, I seen that video before and I have seen plenty of screens and it's not much better then rFactor2, lets see C.A.R.S. weather implementation with parts of the track drying up where cars are running over it while the other parts of the track are still slightly wet.

I can run rFactor 2 at it's fullest right now with no problems except for HDR that doesn't work very well but I hear that is known. And my system is getting to be 2 years old soon. Can't expect greatness with laptops or cheap systems, that's your own fault. :D

C.A.R.S. may be slightly and VERY SLIGHTLY prettier when it comes out but lets see how many tracks get made for it, lets see how many MODS are made. With shotty physics I could careless how good looking it is. :D

Intel i7920
    Asus P6X58D
    Sapphire ATI 5870 (1gig)
    26" Asus Monitor in 1920x1200

6. Anonim

Anonim Registered

well.. as for additional post-release tracks and mods... I think Pc.a.r.s. won't support any due to complicated and almost unmoddable nature of it's engine...
    However, we shall see.

Sincerely, I'm not so excited about this game for now... Loking forward to rF2 updates instead! :p

7. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

I have the 1.24 Alpha buiild and its NOT that video, that video is not the Alpha 1.24 build I have??? the pCars build I have at the moment is NO where near as good as rF2....and it feels very arcade in nature too, plus I can not config my seperate wheel and pedals on it, in rF2 is easy to set up them both, they are both on different USB slots, but on pCars it just doesn't work.

anyway i reckon that video must be some rendered video of some sort, as its not the alpha i Have?
    however being DX11 is going to make it look better on final release I'm sure, but only time will tell whether its arcade or sim.....but I'd have rFactor 2 over anyother sim simply due to the 60's tracks......being an old GPLer ;)

8. Uff

Uff Registered

Let's try to be honest sometimes. ;) Do you really think that these shots are just a bit better than rF2? To me they are miles better.
    Sure, rF2 will improve in the following months, but at the moment it's graphic is way behind pCARS.

9. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

have you got pCar alpha build? its nowhere near as good as those Rendered shots ;)

DON'T GET ME WRONG. I'm sure with using DX (not sure why ISI didn't?) it will loook awesome when finished....just not sure whether it will be arcade, sim or somewhere in between?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  10. Anonim

Anonim Registered

I have the latest version of pC.A:R.S. and im running it on max settings with highest AA available. I have to admit, those screens posted by UFF do represent the actual quality of the game. Nothing more. But to me pc.a.r.s seems faaar from rfactor 2 in terms of FFB, physics and handling and...everything else except graphics.

11. Anonim

Anonim Registered

I completely agree with you. :)

12. Will Fly

Will Fly Registered

they both look fine offline rf2 for me online is cack sry to say at the moment

and we dont know what p cars will be like online.

and if you haven driven p cars last build 135 then you cant say what its like.

getting better each week (releases each week )

13. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

I have it too and it really looks good but as mentioned so far it's really alpha in terms of handling.They have a different approach concerning mods: this game is developed very closely together with the community... so we'll probably see the cars and track that we want. but today it's still far away from being an alternative for daily use. In my opinion it has however huge potential... let's see what time brings.

Rfactor 2 needs to get the gfx fixed before the release (at least in terms of AA and performance).
    CARS still has all the rest to be done...

Let's see who's faster;)

14. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

BSNismo does some nice work with videos:

15. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

great video.

Seem I had better take back what i said re pCars graphics, i just tried the alpha out at another track with the lotus 68 car and it deos indeed look very good.
    The physics don't feel as good as rf2 though, but we can only hope that with some time rF2 will look even better, I know some graphics things are turned off in this beta, though without the DX11 that pCars use, will it ever look as good? :(

but pCars doesn't have the awesome Spa60's track that we have, and rF2 if worth it enough for that im my eyes lol ;)

here is two screen shots for comparison.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  16. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Shadow occlusion, ambient occlusion, some post processing effects etc. will surely bump up the visuals of rF2 when they arrive, but I doubt it'll look as good as pCARS, and considering pCARS has probably as many guys in the art department as ISI has total employees, I wouldn't expect otherwise.

It's good that you already took back what you said, because those shots aren't rendered, they're user submitted pics from the alpha. Sure, they've bumped up the graphics to where only the heaviest caliber machines can run the game, and are using external FXAA injectors (the AA in pCARS seems to suffer from some of the same problems rF2 suffers), and they spend a lot of time tweaking the lighting conditions in the F1 dev menu, and a lot of time finding the perfect angle for the shot, but they're still all in-game shots and the game can just look that good. I'm not even pushing it at all and still get results like these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Running smoothly at 60 FPS with 15 AI cars. Much much better looking than the current version of rF2 with the added bonus that it runs much better. The physics aren't still there yet though, I definitely have to drive the cars in a way I could never get away with in any other sim (or real life for that matter) if I want to go fast. But it's around 12-15% done at the moment, and they have plenty of great people doing it who have vast experience in sim racing development from GPL to GTR2 to GTL and on. It's the first time they used the engine to do an all out sim so there's definitely a learning curve for them right there.

Eager to see how both fare, they fill different slots in the sim racing world and I hope both will succeed. And one last thing because it seems like the hip thing to say: DX11 doesn't really matter. pCARS looks next to identical in DX9 and DX11, and depending on the build and your computer will even run better in DX9, so that level is definitely achievable without having to use DX11.

17. T.G.H. Freaky0Frager

T.G.H. Freaky0Frager Registered

Aktually the build number is 129 for SENIOR/TEAM MEMBER. ;)
    SENIORMANAGER have build 134 to use.

How ISI from a graphics engine for DX9 should make now a graphics engine for DX11 also does not go for me really to my head. :confused:

18. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

For me, pCars runs better with DX11 than DX9.

19. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

yeah same here, just downloading the 1.34 build and 1.35 patch to see what improvements have been made ;)

I do hope ISI get some new builds/patches out soon :)

20. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Build numbers are really the number of the build. So it's not "build one point thirty five", it's "build number one hundred and thirty five". The actual version of the program is another issue entirely. It's really not even a minor issue so I hope that everyone would use the terms and numbers correctly.

And T.G.H. Freaky0Frager, the current build available for everyone except Juniors is build 135 (134 + update to 135), Juniors are stuck with build 129.