wrong keyboard layout (same "problem" as in RF1)

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Cracheur, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

Hello,

another minor issue:

I'm using a swiss french keyboard but Rfactor2 (as in rf1) does not use it's layout. It uses a standard english layout ( z y inverted etc...)

I know as well that you can change this in some config files but I think it would be nice to have Rfactor2 recognize the right keyboard layout without the need of manually editing config files.

Thx

2. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

Hey, you might be able to help us out on this one. If you add a command-line option in the Launcher "+trace=1", then run rF2 once, there should be a file created at UserData/Log/trace.txt. If you open, search for "HKL=" and let us know what the value is for your keyboard. We might be able to fix it.

3. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

Hi,
    I hope this what you were looking for.

hwinput.cpp 6832: HKL=0x100c046e

(just to be complete: I have two SF keyboards attached. a g15 an a wireless microsoft)

Cheers

4. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Swedish keyboard layout doesn't work either: HKL=0x041d041d
    (Logitech Ultra-X Premium Keyboard)

Keyboard Layout Override="1" in Controller.ini fixes it, but it would be better if the game auto-detected it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  5. Terence Groening

Cracheur - do both of those keyboards have the same layout?

We detect both layouts provided but must not do the right thing with them. Can I get an example or two of keys that work incorrectly?

6. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

Hi,

yes same keyboard layout for both, same setting in windows. (swiss french)

examples tested in chat window:

pressing y gives z and vice versa
    $ gives \
    Shift + 0 gives ")" instead of "("
    - (right next to ":") gives /

as mentioned these are only examples, many more are "wrong".

Hope this helps.

7. henri200

henri200 Registered

I got all Estonian letters working with Keybaord Layout Override=1. The letters that didn't work before were õäöü, but it doesn't work perfectly still. I did some testing and it does work on the timing screen, but only one letter (õ) shows while on the track, the other letters wont show anything, it's just blank (example. The same problem is with names (which have these lettes in name). I can't type õäöü on track as well

Also worth mentioning is that using õäöü corrupts XML file (the file cuts from that point where any of these letters is used)

HKL=0x04250425

8. Terence Groening

Can you check if those keys work in the garage notepad? (where you can type notes for a garage setup). I'm not sure if this is a font issue or a keyboard issue yet.

9. henri200

henri200 Registered

It does work in the garage notepad. It seems only the on-track side is broken at the moment. 'Õ' letter does work in chat box (you can see it if someone else has typed, but not type yourself on-track), but it (and äöü) don't work on vehicle labels and in drivers list on HUD. For äöü it seems it just puts a blank space in that place, but for õ it makes a yellow dot (example below) where it should be "Rõõm".

rFactor2 2012-02-03 17-07-35-18.jpg

10. Terence Groening

Thanks for the additional info.

We're going to start defaulting that "Keyboard Layout Override" to 1 because it seems to work better for most people. Some of the above issues are font problems, but I'm still working on why you can't type some of them when using in-car chat.

11. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Good idea with the override default! Related question: What character set is rF2 using internally? I guess it has to be either multi-byte or Unicode, in order to get all conversions correct when clients use different locales and languages?

12. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Thanks a lot for your trick !!!
    I'd be fed with FR_SLSH key and so on. Already that I don't understand all set-ups moreover I didn't understand which key was the good one...
    --EDIT--
    What a surprise when I saw that "Keyboard Layout Override=" was already set to 1... So this solution does not work on my azerty keyboard, I'm going to stay understanding some keys

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2012