Online is not good.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Valerio Kinex, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Tin Can

Tin Can Registered

My 2 cents....At the end of day racing in public servers requires alot of tolerance; however, now matter how you look at it....it's a shame. Myself, I can only race around a bad atmoshpere for so long then it's simple time to leave. So the answer is clear....do'nt like the server....leave. There's always tomorrow and hopefully a better out come of racers.

2. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

If I don't get a really good start off the line...with a good bit of clear track up ahead, then I'll usually move to the side and let the 'crash kids' through. I then 'whiz' past their "smoking wrecks" to pick up a few places before I do 'battle' with the real sim drivers.

3. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

Now that there are persistent online accounts, this is possible. I personally like the idea of user ratings and then giving the choice to hosts or admins.

4. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

Interesting option to add, maybe even adding a min time?

5. shum94

shum94 Registered

107 %

6. Valerio Kinex

Valerio Kinex Registered

i'm happy that i opened a good thread!

Seems like these accidents happens more often than i thought.

7. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Registered

I see about maybe 50 people online in total in rf2 and and about 20 different users posting here complaining about bad drivers. whats the chances of a few of you guys being hipocrites? Not saying you are but i wont be surprised if there are a few year who complain about bad drivers when they themselves are?

8. Valerio Kinex

Valerio Kinex Registered

When i started simracing 5 years ago i admit to have been

1. Revenge idiot

It was sort of maniacally fun waiting for the first driver to come, but i did this after they ruined my race sending me in outer space.So yes, revenge.

2. Not braking in time

I did this a lot and i'm sorry. This was frustrating also for me. Simracing ain't easy.

We're not telling that one must be a perfect pilot, but with some salt, we can have ranked servers.

9. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

When I say "bad driver" I mean getting hit from behind at the start.

10. Valerio Kinex

Valerio Kinex Registered

People who crash at the start are adrenaline junkies who have no brains.

Them press the throttle laughing maniacally and often they spin on them selves.
    The receive fun from hitting others, cause they have no real race abilities in this way they can obtain some position, instead they go on gravel at the 1°, or maybe 2° or even 3° turn.
    Sad.

11. Lars Strijdonck

Lars Strijdonck Registered

Well maybe that is because some of us are already left the publics. Also dont foget that rF had a bad reputation on this and a lot of players left behind locked servers or other sims. Online shooters have systems in place to, and there also not perfect but take them away and the mess gets alot bigger. Dont get me wrong stuff happens in all online games. But you can weed trought it a bit.

Giving a host options never hurts, its then up to the host.
    Also whe are not bitching rF, its a healthy discussion nothing wrong with that imo. I very happy with my rF2 license, and ISI's support.

Good to see Gjon thinking along.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
  12. jtbo

jtbo Registered

What about such feature that would force braking help high if accident ratio is over certain % ?

It would at least stop one driving zillion mph into corner, might not help if poor driver starts back and there is line into corner.

Now do you experience that this crashing is mostly first two turns? How about ability to set no overtaking at first two corners or DQ ? Of course bit difficult in practise, maybe no gaining more than 2 places? But it is bit difficult to implement to software, time based would be easier of course, if server admin sets timer and so on.

Every method works for some situations, but saying nothing can be done is giving up without trying. Absolutely anything can be cured, some cures are worse than illness, but usually very good compromise can be found to any problem, this issue is no exception.

13. hiohaa

hiohaa Registered

putting a 107% rule would easily fix this.
    it makes perfect sense. it would mean the slowest person would have to be of a certain pace to actually race, and therefore you'd be able to race that person with no surprises.

this is because 90% of the crashes online are simply because of different abilities, they are not kamikaze/crashing on purpose. the braking distances are so different for someone who knows when to brake hard and someone who doesn't know what the car can do, that crashes are inevitable for people of different skill levels.

when ive been online in the meganes the only real issues ive had are with midfield people, becomes im fast i wind up with other fast people at the front, and we generally have good sensible battles, because i can trust that the other person is going to brake and turn at similar points to me.

putting in a 107% rule will force people to become faster, get up to a competent level, to actually then get to race.
    it is the simplest answer - and the only solution for good jump-in-and-play racing (which is important to have, there are people like me who like to jump in and play but want sim physics)

is this possible in the server set up? i dont know.

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Good points. Another reason for crashes is because with no fear of death, you can learn a track while trying to race on it. I've done this before, and you do end up crashing a lot more than you regularly do. 107% would fix this, too. You're not going to get 107% without having the basic track map in your mind.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've always like the idea of a "Pre Average Qualifying Speed" to determine what server you can race on, imagine a 2nd MatchMaker screen with a list of Servers which shows the average speed of the drivers on it,you can pick which one is suited to you best or automatically be placed on one with drivers similar to yourself. Pre qualifying can be done offline as well or something.

It'd need a lot more thought that that obviously but you get the idea!

16. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I think that would be really great feature, it would solve one of the big issues with pickup racing where it is always difficult to find out where to find own level competition.

Racing is always best with guys that are on same level, in leagues this often happens naturally when drivers are put together based on their skill level, well that is what guys running leagues in LFS were doing at least, don't know about rFactor leagues myself.

Anyway when person looks listings it is only natural to pick server where times are close to one own.

There is of course way to abuse the system by entering server where one is lot faster than others, but how much such would happen and then again, would it be impossible to set option that limits persons entering to that server to be only in that 107% range of average racers time on that server?

Certainly would be biggest thing in online racing for long time, or at least so I think, everyone has right to state their own opinion of course.

As retired league admin and retired public server admin, I certainly would use this kind of option on my server if such would be available.

17. FONismo

FONismo Registered

107% is a brilliant idea. I don't intend to really use publics once full release is with us as i will join a league but would be great to know that if you did fancy just a quick blast with something other than any content that chosen league are using then you would have that to make use of.

18. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Registered

What is this 107% rule? say the fastest lap is 1:00. only people who are less then 2:07(107% of 1.00 give or take) are allowed to race?

Or do you mean 107% of 1:00 = something like 1:10+? if so, i dont like the latter because some people are just too damm fast to be only a few seconds off pace.

not everyone is speed demons

19. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Registered

move to what other sim? every racing game is like this. every single one of them you play in a public race is like this.

anyways i just had my first private race. night and day difference. not a single stupid crash happened in that 40min race. clean fair and competitive.

20. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

if 1:40.000 is the fastest time (100 second ;) ), then that time is 100%; 107% is the fastest time + 7% (in this case being 7 seconds), so 107% then would be 1:47.000. And although I agree with you that not everyone is a speed demon, a gap like this is pretty big. In Formula 1 this rule is active too, and even HRT and Virgin could qualify well inside those times (eventually :p )