Online is not good.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Valerio Kinex, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Lars Strijdonck

Lars Strijdonck Registered

I really don't see why this league argument is valid? Its not as stated very clear by some in this topic.

And don't get me wrong crashes happen its racing it happens in all sims. What i dislike is the revenge idiots that wait for the leader on the front straight turn there car and eliminate half the field. Damage on not an option either makes it only worse. Oke you car is still in one piece but it wont solve the frustration. In my last 8 online starts i had 3 revenge idiots just parking or turning there car on places purely to take you out... i think some sort of rating aint al that hard to implement imo, or a hard Id code to make permanent bans. Maybe even an ignore list on the client side so you can avoid them if you know on what server they are.

2. Valerio Kinex

Valerio Kinex Registered

revenge idiots....

this open a whole new level of idiocy

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Are you seeing these revenge idiots alot or are you just making a big deal over one incident?

4. Lars Strijdonck

you feel adressed by it? 2 different once in 3 events. Havent been online after last one so they might be gone.

5. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I feel alot of people are making a big deal over a couple of crashes. Relax and don't take things so seriously. Join a league or you're looking for serious racing. End of story.

6. Lars Strijdonck

point taken I get it :) Time for a beer

7. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

where do I find a good 60's racing league then? anyone know?

a beer sounds l ke a good idea right now too ;) :)

8. Valerio Kinex

Valerio Kinex Registered

revenge idiots:eek:nly the name make me laugh ahahahjaajajaja hueheuhe

9. mrbungle83

mrbungle83 Registered

I have just watched my last 5 replays and there was carnage at the start of them all. I see this as a big problem.

10. Valerio Kinex

Valerio Kinex Registered

i just quit a server:
    practised 20 min
    qualy 20 min
    race CRASH.

i'm thinking of tryin iracing.

11. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

stats tracking and Safty rating don't work at all If you play I racing you will see that it has 2 problems

1) people still crash becuse they cannot drive in first place and get to excited for T1
    2) People that can drive stop racing and just let people pass becuse they are to scared to actualy race making the whole thing boring

the solution for public servers is as I said If driver A hits driver B in the rear above X speed then Driver A is auto pitted and the momentum is not sent to driver B you would only need this rule on for first 30 seconds of a race as all crashing after that is normally fairly avoidable

12. Valerio Kinex

Valerio Kinex Registered

the problem in rfactor and this is also a big problem, that when you get lightly hit you fly in the sky...wtf

btw going to bed see ya tomerrw

13. doug484

doug484 Registered

I've been on iRacing since 2008. I have lost count how many times I've been wrecked on the first lap. Joining a league isn't really a valid solution because I've been wrecked in league racing for plenty of stupid reasons also. Unfortunately, it won't ever change no matter how many licenses, penalties, or whatever is tried to change things.

I am only interested in rF2 for off-line championship racing. I hope this makes it into a future build.

14. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

I recall Martin Brundle describing an F1 start. You can't brake too late and risk hitting the guy in front and you can't take it easy because you will get hit from behind. Everyone has to nail it and the guys behind are as reliant on those in front not checking up as those in front from the guys behind. If you adopt the system you describe you create immunity for those in front to pick a braking point with no consideration to those behind. You would probably find drivers getting eliminated at the start by the pole sitter braking 20m earlier than needed.

I don't believe there is an automated solution for assigning blame and the debate has raged for years.

With a million mods the rFactor community will be spread far too thinly without any kind of access restriction of ratings so unless ISI aim to manage structured online racing like iRacing then I think it is up to the community to organise itself as in the past. I don't think it makes sense to do so. For iRacing to do everything rFactor 2 does and vice versa would lock the developers away for years and we wouldn't have much to play with.

15. Gov

Gov Registered

I have to disagree with you there. 3-4 years ago I would have agreed with you, but right now iRacing's netcode is about as rock solid as anything I have seen in any type of online gaming. It wasn't that way when they started up, but it is really good now.

As far as the OP is concerned, I am just restating what the rest of you have been saying. Find a good open fun league to run with. I can't see a safety rating/driver rating system working in rFactor due to the nature that it is a moddable platform.

16. Spadge

Spadge Registered

The rule in 60s racing is this: you don't go when the lights go, you go when the car in front goes.

As long as there is no danger of serious injury there are going to be wreckers in online racing. Forget raising the price or joining a league; what this game needs is an electric shock device linked to the damage model.

Problem solved.

17. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

rfactor2 is in beta and in the known issues readme it says online is not stable. Why are you judging rF2 netcode from the beta?

iR's netcode is the same as it was back in the nr2003 days btw. ;) So please, no BS needed.

Too many guys taking open server racing way too seriously in here. Some need to relax, step outside for some fresh air. Maybe some of you should try iracing where raging when someone taps you from behind is quite acceptable. :p This thread pops up in their forums on a weekly basis.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
  18. Valerio Kinex

Valerio Kinex Registered

You first.

19. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Effectively what people seem to want here is behavioural control. It will never happen, sorry. How people choose to use the software they purchased is not up for anyone to decide except themselves. It's unfortunate but true that some people get their kicks from ruining a race. When you purchase the software, there are no conditions saying you cannot use it in a particular way so they are free to do whatever they please.

As for leagues, in those I've been involved with over the last 4 odd years, I've experienced 1 rogue driver. He was banned that evening.

In my mind there's only one solution. Public servers are good for a quick race but given the variability of talent, experience and numbers, I'd have thought that they are no more than a 'fun run'. If you want to take a little more seriously with a controlled track, join a league.

20. David G Fisher

David G Fisher Registered

Have you ever heard the phrase, "You can't polish a turd"? Well, that's pick up racing. It always has been lousy, and it always will be lousy. No system will ever be created which makes it good. Racing, real or simulated, requires preparation and practice by all participants to be good. Join a league. Prepare for the events with practice and setup development, and then race. If you aren't willing to put in the time and do what's NECESSARY, then don't bother complaining. There are lot's of leagues you can join. There are places like R2P which have stewards for every race, rules that must be followed, and no confusion over downloads, etc. Plenty of alternatives to pick up racing are available, which is why I have never understood the complaining.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012