Remove rFmod Petition

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Wrinkly Man, Jan 22, 2012.

1. vonHai

vonHai Registered

+100

2. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I'll take a punt and say this is in conjunction to this http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/4749-suggestion-vmod-links-collection

I understand you've followed Tim's instruction and posted your comment here, The only thing is it has far less value and meaning when a comment like this is taken from the thread it was meant for!

My post in that thread is still there. Tim hasn't removed it yet. But like I said, The post has no meaning outside the thread it was intended for.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
  3. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

You got a link to that? I'd really like to have a read.

Ok guy's, Here it is. The post by Gjon isn't in this thread because it's rel events is in this thread http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/4644-Too-complicated

It's just another way of going about saying the ModID system isn't working well.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012
  4. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

5. rer8

rer8 Registered

I recently read a number of the comments under the thread Modding. Julian's explanation is satisfactory enough for me to say that I think it is time for us to give ISI a chance to move on with the program without complaining excessively about the way the MODID and game play are currently working. When we get to an initial release I suspect ISI will have a descent fix for my concerns. So, now we wait.

6. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Hi all

It would make sense that this is the server that the circuit shipments missing during a connection like this happens on servers or COD MW2 at the time (I do not play it).
    This is only an opinion that I believe in more than one Rejoind.
    For the user it is less frustrating and to the administrator of the server that should not change much.

The server was downloading a MAP and that we played ...
    It would be kool it happens that way on tracks for rFactor 2.

I want to congratulated for your outstanding work.

Goodbye

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Are you sure that whole media is downloaded? IMO only scripts since data are installed on your HDD.
    Moreover, look at track / car package sizes. 100MB for track is not rare today. Car mods are even bigger. I saw 2GB mods. Do you think that league admins will provide downloads for anyone who connect a server? I know it would be comfy but it's not impossible imo. Even if some servers will provide stuff, a lot of these will not allow it. And finally, are your ready to wait till download completed (often minutes or tens of minutes) while just want to connect and race?

At the end, it is not the point in the discussion.
    Hope ISI will change something, even if nothing has been confirmed yet. It's only curious to me, why They (Tim mostly) want to get another examples of unwanted behaviour of current system. To me consequences was clear even before I test it, just judging based on description. I don't get why some must receive more arguments against it. But I even don't understand how it is possible that devs have not foreseen impact of this feature.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2012
  8. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I had written a similar comment on the above linked thread last night. It got a little long winded and lost focus so I didn't submit it.

But yes, As soon as the BETA was released the modders all saw the implications of the ModID system straight away and it is a wonder why dev didn't.

I think you'll find it's the fact we're looking at it from the outside and as such we can see the complete maze when the dev team is on the inside looking out and not getting a clear view. It happens. Mod teams are no different. Let's hope we've been able to explain clearly what our concerns are and the dev takes a step outside and gets a clearer view as we have.

The part that scares me is the dev have been working on this system for I don't know how long. It's quite complexes and would have have taken a long time to nut out. Now we're asking them to rethink the hole thing?
    Don't expect a new system any time soon.

As far as I'm concern the game is unusable. When I need to download things to make what I already have work; Then YES it's unusable. I'm not downloading thing just to get onto one or two server option. And I'm NOT going to download ALL and EVERY possible rFMOD and VMOD available just so I can use what I already have.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2012
  9. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

I'd just like to add another: please do away with this system. Trying to join custom servers is just impossible

10. ORA-Quasi

ORA-Quasi Registered

Precisely. I installed a VMOD on our dedicated server a week ago and it seems fine, but when I installed the same VMOD on my race PC I got an error saying the GTWEC mod was not installed....yet it was listed as installed directly above the error.

This is the sort of thing that happens on a regular basis to thousands of RF2 racers around the world, we just don't always hear about it.

11. ROON

ROON Registered

+1

Keep the RFMOD system, but seperate cars from tracks so we don't have to have dozens of mish mash mods just to join servers.

12. Rantam

Rantam Registered

I also think separating cars and tracks would make things way easier. So count another vote there!

Not 100% about what exactly Gjon meant in that post of that other thread but It's good to know they're thinking about all this and they're going to improve the current system. So, thanks ISI for listening us! :)

Kindest regards

13. cosm1

cosm1 Registered

+ 100000000000000000000000000000

14. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

+1 - this new system is JUNK!!!

15. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Very disappointed to see that ISI have chosen to stick with this mod id system with tracks linked to mods STILL!
    I had hoped that the long delay in releasing an update was due in some part to changing it.

As good as rf2 is this system makes rf2 a no go for our league racing

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

This is an applicable video Gjon had made:

17. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

But the main problem the whole discussion is about, is still there Tim and no videos will change that :)

18. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Yep. I still see no reason to not ease it out.
    If we end up with automatic vmod creation, and automatic vmod download - then existence of this feature will be meaningless. If vmod will have to be created by admin, then a lot of casual players will not be able to do that (at home, with friends race etc).

At the end, no one has explained what this feature is designed for.

19. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I appreciate the sexy voice showing off the system. But this still isn't completely the right way to do it.

Why on earth do the cars get attached to the tracks at all?
    If someone releases a fake formula mod they should not dictate AT ALL.. what tracks the end user (all of us) drive them on. The mod maker is not there to be Bernie Ecclestone and design a race series. They are there to make the car, group of cars OR the track. Then the end user decides if you want to take Formula ISI around a country road and then through Chicago streets and bathurst. Only by having the Cars and tracks installed. Not because you created a virtual mod and Oh darn I forgot to add that other track and now have to remake this mod again to have twelve tracks we might all like instead of the eleven I chose and OH DARN they updated the cars with three new liveries now I have to update the mod with the twelve tracks and the new cars and OH DARN.. another version of this track in reverse so remake another mod with thirteen tracks and the newer version of the cars and ....

Pick car. Pick track. Race...

20. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

@ISI...whos bandwidth gets used for the "get mod" feature ...yours or the dedicated server the mod is running from?