Remove rFmod Petition

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Wrinkly Man, Jan 22, 2012.

1. IT-Trader

IT-Trader Registered

Yes it would Tim, well..95% of them anyway. Dump the mod ID and use the component IDs from cars and tracks. Its really not a complex issue.

To date ISI have shown no suggestion that this is being considered or that they even understand the severity of the issue.

There are now some 400 posts from a wide variety of users along with near dormant rF2 online servers.

If the forums still haven't got the message across, perhaps the sound people voting with their feet will. Software development has one simple rule no matter how large you are, listen to your user-base while you still have one.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2012
  2. Nils

Nils Registered

Maybe this is not 100% the right thread for it, but the base problem is the same... there´s a lot of chaos in rF2. It´s a good idea to separate the mod dev from the game itself and to separate the core files, but the folder structure is messed up. I killed my first installation because the mod manager installed the mods to wrong folders, deleted the showroom etc pp. I just wanted to bring the megane to devmode, because I wanted to play around with physics and wanted a car with a roof to play (my mod has a roof). Since I dont have 3ds max I will have to wait for something like 3dSimEd to bring the model ingame, so I thought I use the Megane for the time. But I am not able to do it - some folders or files are called Megane, others Megane2009, then Meganes2009. Same chaos with the naming of the tracks/layouts. Almost everything seems illogical and confusing. Sometimes I asked myself if I am too stupid for this, sometimes I thought that I´m (no offense) not stupid enough. And there´s so much more... custom skins go to the settings folder, where the setups are? Why the heck would one even consider that? What a sick idea!
    Please ISI, bring order and a logical system to that! This game can be the best sim ever, physics, graphics and almost everything is great, the weather, the changing track conditions, beautiful, but when it comes to modding rF2 is the worst, most chaotic, most confusing and disorganised piece of software I´ve ever tried to work with.

3. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

its gonna be interesting to see if any changes are made in the next build, for me B60 came too soon for ISI to make any dramatic changes to the ID system so I would hope they at least started something that would be pushed out in a future build.

5. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I just want to be able to race any car on any track without ANY WORK NEEDING TO BE DONE..

Until that happens this may as well be Toca race driver 6. A Terrible game.

6. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

We are really doomed if this is not going to happen.

7. jaimeix

jaimeix Registered

+1
    Please don't use rfmod like it is now,is not easy to get tracks along with cars.
    Don't let us alone,we are a lot of people asking for this to change.

8. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Are ISI ignoring this thread or are you guys actually working on changing rfmod?

9. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Sometimes I wonder if anyone at ISI even reads all the forum posts. Poor Tim never seems to know what is going on and even when he is here it is like he has to make phone calls to consult the actual people with the knowledge and decision making ability.

10. pitkin

pitkin Registered

I would like to add my voice to the anti rfmod league.
    In RF1 it was easy to change certain elements of mods by just using notepad. I often changed a mods physics, tyre grip, AI, AIW's to get a particular mod to my liking. I never race online other than over a LAN (I'm not that good a driver) so being able to easily make changes for my own personal use is important to me.
    It seems to me that RF2 has made it more difficult for people who like to 'tinker' with their game. Now I need to learn new things to perform once simple edits.

11. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

All this may not be a issue if things continue with rF1 that has been announced around the place. Plug-in for weather, Drying driving lines, tyre spotting and ware visual as well as physical. HDR graphic enhancement ENB All for rF1. I'm sure a changing grip level can also be implemented into rF1. New shaders are available. ISI cars aren't up to the standard of the more experienced moddeller in rF1.

The animated driver arms, Tyre deform model are just visual things and at the end of the day to small a things to want to use rF2 and this ID system, Mod format using Mas files, and so on. The new tyre model that which we haven't seen as yetis the only thing that rF2 "May" have over rF1. I say may because after all it's just coding. I have a mod that has been modified to replicate; Grip loss on lockup, heat and ware on tyres that reflect misuse. Unlike most mods we're using now that seem to have near no penalties for hard tyre abuse. Well rF1 IS capable of simulating these things.

5% of people are having trouble with rF1 installing mods, tracks, add-ons. It's that 5% ISI are listening to because it's like every thing, It's the minority screw it for the majority because they make the most noise.

Just don't give up on rF1. It's growing and I for one don't need rF2 and all it's limitations to enjoy racing. I'd much rather a game I can use as I see fit to one I have to follow someone else's design. VMod's, rFMod and the like.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012
  12. D34N0

D34N0 Registered

Hi, How can setup my server to play the new GT cars with Mid Ohio so my friends and I can race that online?

Oh that's right.... I can't.

:(

13. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Well actually you can. Because you are the server owner that is.You need to create a VMOD, Submit it to get a MODID so it works online then upload it to the server, Setup the server. Upload it to a file share client. Let all your mates know about it and wait for them to start joining your server. Nothing to it really.

Though don't expect a large turnout. No need to lock or make the server private, No one outside your group will be able to join it anyway even though most of us will or do have the current up to date content. Just the wrong MODID.

14. D34N0

D34N0 Registered

Thanks D.Painter,

I was going to try that. But can't find a current tutorial on how to create a vmod. I tried watching the video from this thread but the video is out of date. It says to create a new mod i have to submit it from the purchase tab. But my purchase tab looks a lot different to his.

If you know of a tutorial on how to create a vmod it would be much appreciated.

cheers,

15. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

LOL I dont like the modid system either but you 2 sound like the homeless guy walking down the street holding a sign talking about the end of the world. :)

It takes 2 minutes. YES I SAID 2 minutes. to make a virtual mod. How you distribute it to your mates is up to you.

I just wish they would do like I've said from the start and have seperate id's for carpacks and track packs. Virtual life would be grand.

16. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Ok you mean this one rF2_Packaging_Tutorial.pdf - 01-09-2012? The Mas.Tool2 has been updated but the proses wouldn't have changed surely?

I haven't done it and have no interest in doing so. I don't have control of a server or am I a league Admin so there's no point at all for me to make these mod's. If I did and everyone like me started making these things and putting them out there could you imagine the mess.

17. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Yes, that tutorial that I think pre-dates the vid tutorial(which I didnt use) works fine. The updated mas tool doesnt change the process.

Finally, I agree about the mess lol, that's basicly what I've said from the start there will practically be hundreds of virtual mod's doing the same thing. The system is fine for racing in an organized league, but for the casual racer this will be a major pain in the ass.
    The more user-made tracks that get released will make it even worse.

I can see it now, find a server that is running your favorite car and track, somehow find out where to download the modid thing, then discover you have to download 30 crap tracks that you have 0 interest in...wonderful

18. pitkin

pitkin Registered

Does a mod automatically get an ID granted once made?

If not, maybe the MODID system is in place to stop 'pirated' content from other games being used online. They can simply refuse (possibly even revoke?) an ID to something that is taken from someone elses game.
    I'm sure companies like Codemasters or EA must have contacted ISI about thier content being used in rFactor without permission, so they would have felt it neccessary to have some system in place to protect themselves.
    Of course I'm just speculating, but maybe someone from ISI could tell me if someone converted cars and tracks from F1 2012 when it comes out, would they grant an ID to a mod containing them?

19. ethone

ethone Registered

Yes.

There is no checking of content.

20. The_Grass

The_Grass Registered

Just Race and Have Fun