Remove rFmod Petition

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Wrinkly Man, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Robin Frischkopf

Robin Frischkopf Registered

In all the leagues I race in we've got that. It's called simsync.ini .

2. shum94

shum94 Registered

3. ORA-Quasi

ORA-Quasi Registered

Agreed. I can see the MODID association protocol becoming a white elephant for ISI.

+1

EDIT: To clarify, here's an example of what is bothering me.

I am planning a championship with Historic GT & Touring Cars, and find two tracks I would like to use (for argument sake one is ISI Belgium 1960s). Unfortunately the only time the track is even visible, is single player 'All Cars And Tracks'.

In order to use the track in the championship I need to have my mate IT-Trader create an updated vMod.....but he is busy, or on holiday, or for whatever reason I can't get him to do it.

The outcome, a championship limited to a few tracks holding back what could have been a very good racing experience.

The result of these difficulties is that track builders throw their hands in the air and no new RF2 tracks, because their work is not being used.

The flow on effect is RF2 dying a slow and painful death because racers use RF1 until GTR3 comes out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  4. shum94

shum94 Registered

I'm glad to see such open conversation between ISI and modders/leagues admins and i wish we could have such thread with that much interactions with ISI about the graphics, because right now it's pretty blurry in the sense of how much is left to do / how much can be updated.

Or i worry too much.

5. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

well go make a thread and it might happen if anyone cares about it enough :D

6. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Hopefully the vmod id will be generated when you set up your server by simply selecting components and i would imagine the ability to call vote a component will still be possible if the server has it

7. prunn

prunn Registered

well I gotta say... use winrar, 7zip, rfcomp or rfmod doesn't make that much difference
    actually compression could be better, but makes the whole thing crash or not working properly are mostly the manifests files
    there seems to be a manifests file for everything... and I mean everything in rf2
    making it hard to modify anything

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

It still would remove trouble from finding download if user could click link next to server name in a lobby and that would open web browser in user's machine to that address. Server admin would be responsible from adding that info when putting server up. That would not be very big job to add and it would make system much more complete, just my 2c.

9. Warlock

Warlock Registered

This is "fun"? You are masochist?
    Hmm. If so I'm starting understand all your actions by last years and your actions in this thread.

----------------------
    Why I need to do an extra work to run a server with f-renault on Spa??? I already have it all installed. All my friends have it too. Hundreds of people have it also installed. WHY??? Why I need to something else to work? Why they all need something else to work?

C'mon, press brain button and try to understand that people talking for you here. Try to understand that hard linked car+track is just a stupid. In real all works in other way.

But if you still think it's great idea (as I say before) - make the additional radio button param for server.
    - Use ModID (to run server and connect to server)
    - Use CarID and TrackID (free select from installed cars and tracks to run a server and connect to server)

If someone wants to f... the brains to friends\drivers - he will use ModID. Other will use CarID+TrackID.

10. thuGG

thuGG Registered

To be perfectly honest, seeing the attitude of Gjon, I'm really cheering for Assetto Corsa and CARS developers.

This is ridiculus that major problem like that is ignored by Gjon.

Or maybe they just don't know how to implement CarID + TrackID system?

11. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Ive made trackpacks and and even though they can be convenient, combining mod with tracks really didn't work.

Simply because you are combining too much information that can not be accessed individually.

I found that by doing this i had to make the packs available as well as individual downloads to all the content.By doing this i have to store twice as much content to make it convenient.

It seems at this stage, to me, its too hard to be able to efficiently access what is in a rFMod file unless you have the choice to specificly download what you need

12. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

i dont think theres any need to be rude to Gjon guys..he deserves more respect than that

13. thuGG

thuGG Registered

In what way that was rude? That they don't know how to make CarID + TrackID system?

It's possibile that current ModID system is so tied to everything that it's nearly impossible to just simply get rid of it. So it's a real possibility that at the moment they wouldn't have idea how to implement it (pretty fast).

You know what's rude? That community gave their opinion, pointed exactly the problems with ModID system. Listed practically all the problems with this system. But so far the only response is "nah, it's all good!". Ignoring the community is not a very good idea.

14. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

No thuGG the response has been 'Lets see what happens as things progress'.I dont think our thoughts have been ignored,but quite simply we may not be seeing the whole picture.Im sure this thread carries a valid point

15. DeM

DeM Registered

Couldn't agree with this guy More. It would seem the ISI Guys have no actual conception of how members of race groups actually race on their Own servers on a day to day basis.

Mismatches were never a big problem with rFactor 1, we arent catering for Console Kids now are we ? Why do ISI persist saying it was big problem, and then try to pass off something that is actually more restrictive to their current long term users.
    Seperate Car and track ID's Its that Simple ! When we release a MOD we couldnt give a **** what Tracks it is going to be raced on, that is up to the people and Admins who choose to utilise our Work.

OUR Servers will remain locked under the current situations, too much frigging trouble, and I have no doubt others will follow or do the same

16. ORA-Quasi

ORA-Quasi Registered

The 'big' problem with mismatches in RF1 was racers not reading a forum to download the required content from the link posted by a race admin.

Of course, this was always going to be an issue for a racer who never joined a forum but insisted upon accessing that community's resources, and always will be.

17. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

ye dont let those computer illiterate people come and race with us........

18. ORA-Quasi

ORA-Quasi Registered

There's a difference between illiterate and blissfully ignorant....I thought of anyone you'd know that Phil :)

19. DeM

DeM Registered

Spot on Mate, I just read all 14 pages, and to be honest Gjon Camj comes across as an arrogant prick at times, and then realises HOLEY COW without these guys we dont even have a Product. His responses from someone in his position are offensive, maybe it's lost in translation and he's trying to be humourous. He needs to remember alot of the people aren't Muppets and do indeed know what they are talking about.

He laughingly suggests you just join the said League Website and get the correct File, once again no concept at all how things Work. Yeah ok GJon, when they accept and check you out over the next day or two to accept your application.

The ISI Crew all post how they Love Sim Racing, to be honest I dont think any of them have done much at all in regards to racing with a League on a long term basis.

20. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

Hey cmon mate...comments like that arnt going to help any..you have to remember this is Gjons baby and any major changes is going to take alot of convincing...i dont like the system either but you still have to respect the man