Remove rFmod Petition

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Wrinkly Man, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Mauro

Mauro Registered

+100! :)

2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I got to thinking a bit why guys at ISI are thinking that change is needed.

They probably have heard people saying how rFactor feels unrefined and how people have gone to other products because they appear to them more refined, more professional, more ready. Those people have perhaps got impression that rF1 mod system is kind of left unfinished.

Now attempt with rfmods might be also because they get installing mods to look more refined to those persons, also all these changes make impression of more controlled state of product.

They like also to look professional not bunch of hobbyist.

Those I think are also reasons among those what have been told reasons for change to be.

This is just one another angle to view this subject of course, there are many angles, but to understand all reasons make it easier to accept the change, I believe, of course I don't know if these have played part when making decisions, but I personally know those kind of situations have happened from those reasons.

One another thing to look is also how modder is born. With rF1 first time there has been sim where one have has clearly access to fully make cars of their desire, it has lured a lot of new modders in, first they get car they like, then maybe adjust a bit, then bit more, more and more, until one is considered a modder, learning stuff in this process.

Changing car in rF1 was quite easy when finding few bits of information, so step to get changing stuff was quite low. With rF2 there are bit more hurdles on way, how to get car one likes into dev mode and start adjusting it etc.

But if I'm not completely mistaken now one can make component for mod, add some new engine for example and one don't need to release that mod again with permission, but just that component so sharing changes to mods is perhaps something beginning modder can start.

Still I don't know if it limits a bit of people willing to try about modding and I refuse to say if that is good or bad thing, but there is too some change.

Changes can be good or bad, only time will tell.

3. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

I don't see why you jumped to this conclusion. Some guy is hanging around our league downloading our ModIDs and enjoyed himself enough to stick around, leads me to the exact opposite conclusion.

4. ethone

ethone Registered

Well, before "some guy" saw a server running a mod he likes that happened to be run by a league.
    Now "some guy" sees a server running a mod he likes that happens to be run by a league, but would need to alt-tab/exit the sim, head to that league's website, download their .rfmod file (despite already having all the components installed), go back into the sim, find the server again.

5. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

But he looks like he is having so much fun.
    square.jpg

6. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I think conflict there is that "some guy" you describe is still trying to find races same way he did in rF1, but instead at current state of rF2 that guy should start from league web pages.

Of course it might be good to have section for leagues or server host themselves at the board with links to MODID's they require which would perhaps increase bit of online racer numbers and make it easier to find stuff and learn new way of doing things.

7. Jonathan Stewart

Jonathan Stewart Registered

I feel that we have not really gained anything from the .rfmod format, yet it has severely limited us, especially in the online part of the game, which is certainly the most important part. This will become far more apparent in the future when we have hundreds of cars and tracks and therefore millions (billions?) of possible .rfmod files.

8. IT-Trader

IT-Trader Registered

You misread him Gjon.
    The guy is NOW part of the league because he joined a public server, liked the people he met, THEN went looking for their league.

New drivers don't look for a league and then a series, they decide what cars they like first and look for servers running them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  9. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

So its unlikely that the ModIDs he is playing in the public servers are the same he will find in the league, BUT he will just happens to already have all the same tracks, rules, updates and has them installed properly? And if he does go through all of that, he'll then likely not join your league because some virtual mod will be too hard to get? Really?

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If he usually plays on a server that runs 2 ISI layouts, and the one he's just found in matchmaker runs an extra one, yeah... he's already got the content but needs the .rfmod. If the server told the client "you need this mod [vehicle] and these tracks" he could join either one without needing anything.

11. IT-Trader

IT-Trader Registered

Under the current rF1 system, yes it IS likely he will have the same track (singular, he only needs the one currently running), rules and updates installed properly. Exactly that occurs every day in rF1.

He wouldn't join the legaue because without the vMod he won't be able to join the server in the first place and therefore never meet people he liked and wanted to persue.

The sequence of events is usually... join server, race, talk to people on the server, get referred to league.

12. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

My question was that this guy is diligent enough to get through public servers but too shy or suddenly lazy to get a possible different vmod that your group is using? Is your league that intimidating? If I changed my name think I could sneak in?

13. Jonathan Stewart

What if the required vMod includes lots of tracks and/or cars that he doesn't have already? What if he just wants to try out the league once to see if he likes it? Why would he invest time and download significant amounts of data (Which not everyone in the world has the privilege of doing) for something he isn't sure he's going to commit to?

14. IT-Trader

IT-Trader Registered

Gjon, If you'll indulge me....
    There is a server currently on the rF1 list called "URL Lotus Cup", its an open server (no password) running a mod called "Lotus Elise & Exige v2.1", the track is Essington.

in rF1:
    Say I want to join that server....I can google Lotus Elise & Exige v2.1 and the car component is the top result.
    I already have Essington, so I can join the server.

in rF2:
    Same process but now you have to find the vMod at the league. I've asked someone to put a post on the league that hosts that series but instead of a vMod link, I asked them just to post a random number to show you found the link. Its posted in the race series thread for that league so its not hard to find. I know you're a smart guy and this process is supposed to be easy, what's the number?
    Its not a trick question, this is the reality of what you are asking us to do with real world example.

Other's are welcome to do it too but please don't post the answer and time how long it takes you.

15. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

What if the league actually wanted new members and ran mods people were likely to have or created vmods for what they racing that night?

16. Jonathan Stewart

What if the league makes their own mods?

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Jonathan, if the league makes their own mods you can't get in without getting to their league page either way. That's of no consequence.

18. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

I dont know what you are talking about but if some server was running mod LTC2055 and I had all the components and it was a virtual mod, then I would get it and join your race. If I only had Essington, then I would download the missing piece in component form. Why do we need random numbers?

19. Jonathan Stewart

Okay, this is true.

I don't know what it takes to make a vmod, but I do question the idea of creating vmods for every night that a league races.

20. IT-Trader

IT-Trader Registered

I'll explain more clearly....

You are saying this process is easy.
    I am saying that there is a real life rF1 server called "URL Lotus Cup".
    If that was an rF2 server, in addition to the car & the track I would need a vMod.

So where do I go to find the vMod? ...answer: that league's website.

All easy so far.

Here is the crunch.... I have put a real post on that league's website and in that post is where I would put a link to a vMod.
    I want YOU to find it, right now. Its a real post, on a real site the only difference is that instead of a link I've just put a random number that you can reply back to this thread with it to show you found it.

If this process is so quick and easy , it'll take you a minute or two to find the post.
    This is what you are expecting us to do to join such a server so I'm asking you to do it now, once.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012