Scale auto racing now more accurate? RC CARS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by devotid, Jan 22, 2012.

1. devotid

devotid Registered

i was working on a 1/10 scale Radio Control racing mod for rF1 a few years back and gave up when i could not get the physics to work correctly. When i made the cars to actual "small" sizes they would just float around, weightless like...........So, I was wondering if they have made the needed changes to make this possible for rF2?

When i tested back then you had to make the cars and tracks full size (not 1/10th scale) and they lacked the believable physics to continue any further.

Can anyone tell me if they have addressed this problem?

I have gotten much better at modeling and texturing over the last few years and would love to finish it.....

Thanks

Kevin

2. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

RC cars, that's a good idea, there are a few mods we are working on first, but this would be a good one for the future.

3. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

could you build a car to normal size and a track x10 for the same effect?

4. Kimi450

Kimi450 Registered

That would take too much of memory for such a big track

5. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I defiantly think this is doable with Rf2 so long as you keep the tracks simple it should work.

6. kopytek

kopytek Registered

yes, if a mod for 1/10 is done I would much appreciate it...
    (owner of slash 4wd)

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

It would be interesting to see such mod, also if heavy trucks would be better possible than what they are in rF1, that would really be good marketing kick, from scale models to big rigs :D

8. devotid

devotid Registered

Jim: thats what most people did anyways but it lacked the "zippyness" of todays brushless motors and lipo batteries. the full scale weight of the vehicles threw it off too much and made it feel too "weighted"

Another thing you have to remember is 1/10th scale rc cars are actually doing about 30-50 mph on most general track setups (indoor or outdoor) which calculates into 300-500 scale MPH....so things get screwwy. We shall see..... i love a good challenge.

here is a early render in clay of a "T4.1" 10th scale off road 2wd i am working on.
    View attachment 785 View attachment 786

Ive got over 20 years of rc racing and car design experience and have been modding and lurking on the sidelines for a while now. Just waiting for rFactor2's release, so i can hopefully bring the amazing thrill of off road rc racing to my favorite sim community:)

Interesting Side babble about RC sims i thought of.......

With the use of the new 2.4ghz digital radio setups and cheap USB inputs (to use your own racing radio on your PC) RC Sim racing is gaining in popularity very quickly....... The biggest point in my eyes is.....RC simulation is one of the purist forms of simulation there is.....because if you can model the sound, the look and the feel perfectly (in a perfect world, i know....) it cant any better. you lack none of the senses that real rc racing would give you.... (i.e: seat of the pants feel, wind, noise that you lack in full scale auto sims.... etc)
    Rc Sim racing when done correctly can be VERY accurate and a valuable tool. silly but actual example..... i quit racing for 3-4 years and only sim raced at home. After recently starting racing again, with only two weeks of practice i went to a week long national event and battled for the lead and TQ spot, only to finish an solid third.(at the largest RC race in the world (2011 Cactus Classic)). My racecraft had never been stronger. i was sharper than i had ever been and had not touched a physical car in over 3 years. i was fast right out of the gate instead of "warming up" as usual. With the ability in rc sim racing to run "countless batteries" on a sim i developed skills that i could not get from going to a track and swapping batteries all day. No corner marshals to wait for....just pure exercising the brain and muscles that create fast consistent laps.......ok i'm digressing. dont get me wrong though....i still sit in my auto racing sim seat a few hours a week...;)

View attachment 787
    here is a working example photo of a mod i never released for RealRaceG2 sim...... KNURD is what i was goning to call it.....still might if this rFactor2 doesnt work for me lol....im sure it will though.

Gjon: If you need any help at all with an RC Mod.... I would love to give any assistance that I could......I race once to twice a week right in ISI's area and have already been modeling old throw-back tracks and some new "world class facilities for years now.

Kevin.