Problem; game hangs and comes back in bad graphics.

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Navigator, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys, lately I haven't change anything so I can't explain why the game hangs and then comes back with al the wrong colors, very bad graphics, no shadows, strange stripes and squares everywhere.
    It happens during racing and when I exit, the screen is also bad; text is not there, and where should be the "back" button, there is just another bitmap in pieces just like everywhere in that screen.

I don't know why this happens but it seems to me it happens more and more; does anyone have o solution for this or knows what it is?
    I have the same drivers al always, dx too and so on.

2. saloei

saloei Registered

check the fans on your card. could be driver problem too.

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for your reaction. I checked the fans and they do run. I haven't change the driver so I thought it could not come from that, but you're right; I will change it and see what happens.
    Is there a way to see the temps of the card? Years ago I had a program that made a recording of all the card did; on what specs it ran, how hot it was going, how the fans did and so on but I don't remember what the name was.......anyone?

4. saloei

saloei Registered

Don't know of this program you look for, but todays card manufacturers include a monitoring program for their cards. Could be you have this program in the video card installation cd or you can get it from your card's manufacturer website.
    Here's RivaTuner: Very popular for monitoring and overclocking>> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks, I did the monitoring thing and tried the game; it keeps a 78 degrees celsius and the Mhz of everything is all right but when the game hangs, I only see the GPU usage is 100% while during racing, it doesn't get higher than 85%

6. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

OK, I've had the same thing with GTX285. FWIW, I've seen a few people claiming that some of the GTX 200 series cards will do exactly this, particularly the overclocked versions, if they get over 70 degrees even though they should be alright at 90-100. Might be worth taking the side off and turning up your fan. I've been using msi Afterburner to watch temp and control the fans, but heat hasn't been my problem - it was hanging at 60 degrees, when iRacing on max graphics was OK at 85 deg with less fan.

(I've just upgraded my Creative sound drivers and now it's worked for a bit without a hang).

FWIW, I'd also tried the last 3 stable nvidia graphics drivers which didn't make any difference. Nor updating the Logitech software (it seemed fiddling with the G25 brought it out of the hang, but maybe I imagined it).