rFactor2 has stopped working error

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Red_Z, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Red_Z

Red_Z Registered

I'm getting an error that "rfactor2 has stopped working" and the program crashes to the windows desktop. I get this immediately after loading a track - I see the track loading screen with the orange bar at the bottom. When the bar shows 100%, the screen blanks and takes me back to the windows desktop with this error.

I've read all of the posts with similar issues and tried several fixed, but nothing has worked:
    - Uninstall and reinstall to C:\rfactor2 instead of C:\Program Files
    - Uninstall and reinstall under new User Name
    - Removed UAC control
    - Unchecked the "read only" property of the rfactor2 folder
    - Ran under XP compatible mode
    - Ran as administrator

Nothing has worked. Help is appreciated. Really want this thing to work!

My setup is:
    Inspiron 530 Desktop
    Quad-core Q6600
    nVidia 9800 GT
    3GB RAM
    Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Completely fresh OS install

Dave

2. daz1975

daz1975 Registered

:confused:Hi there i used to have that problem, the way i fixed it hopefully (It's working at the moment) is to reduce the circuit detail to High and AI cars down to 15, Give it a go let me know.

Regards.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Red_z, any update on dazs advice?

4. Red_Z

Red_Z Registered

Unfortunately not. I tried reducing all detail, uninstall and reinstall again, new beta graphics driver....Nothing seems to be working. Very frustrating. Any other ideas? Is there a log file that we can look at to see what it is choking on?

5. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

Have you installed something between the time that the game worked and when it didn't? Have you tinkered with your PC at all?

One thing you could try is to grab the latest Windows SP release, in an install package. That could replace some files that were possibly damaged. As always, make a back-up of your system before you do this.

Alan

6. Red_Z

Red_Z Registered

It took me 2 days to catch up on all of the Win7 updates....But today, I finally got to the SP1 install...No luck, it still gives me the exact same error. Crashes immediately after loading the track.

I've never had it working on this PC. I installed on a first PC and played for a few minutes only to realized that the machine was way underpowered and couldn't keep up. So I moved to another PC which a fresh Win7 install - rFactor2 is the only thing installed. And I've never been able to get it to work yet....

Dave

7. rer8

rer8 Registered

Fresh install of Vista, and now 5 attempts (installs) to get rF2 to run. Still getting CTD about 6 out of 10 attempts, when I try to run Single Player, and Online. It can be aggravating. No solution in sight.

8. Red_Z

Red_Z Registered

Success! Finally got this working. Installed the latest update (build 60) and all is well. Look forward to finally getting to put this through its paces!
    Dave

9. Sammy Sekowski

Sammy Sekowski Registered

im still getting:

Runtime Error!

Program C:\Program Files\rFactor2\Core\rFactor2.exe

bla bla bla contact the application support team for more info... :)

thanks for advice in advance.