Pit lane speed limiter bug

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by jedontrack, Jan 19, 2012.

1. jedontrack

jedontrack Registered

I noticed you can drive through the pit-lane without the limiter on, simply turn it on as you cross the line on the way in and out and you avoid a penalty...

2. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

It's not a bug if you're under the pit lane speed limit. You're not required to have it on, just be under the pit lane speed limit.

The 60's formula cars do not have speed limiters, so it's not a bug.

And btw, if it were a bug, you're not reporting it in the correct sub-forum. The Devs have posted a sticky requesting we report bugs in the correct sub-forum:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/2853-Please-use-sub-forums-above

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
  3. jedontrack

jedontrack Registered

I should have added you can drive through at 100+ MPH You are definitely braking the speed limit...

Sorry I had not seen that, do you know if it is possible to move the post across or shall i just re-post it?

4. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

That's weird, I get penalties when I go over the speed limit. Even in private practice.

5. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Are you sure you're not just accelerating at the wrong line?

6. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

In real life the limiter does not turn on automatically, the driver is required to turn it on. So it's not a bug.

7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I suppose what I am about write is not a bug but is the proper and logical way to police pit lane speed limits in a sim and real life racing.
    I'm glad I did a quick test before posting what would of been a huge mistake on my behalf.
    When I was younger and couldn't afford to pay a mechanic I use to do my own work on cars.
    Mainly 70's Kombi's and Holdens ( great Australian made cars :cool:, settle down Ford fans :p)
    From my work on these cars I learnt the speedo works off the gearbox via a cable.
    So if you're doing a great smoking burnout, even though car could be near stationary your speedo will actually display that you are doing x kph/mph.
    So I was originally going to post that you could brake the pit lane limit by doing a burnout.
    Thankfully, for my pride, logic kicked in and said no, pit lane speed limit is governed by car speed and not tyre rotation speed as would be displayed on the cars speedo.
    I did the test in rF and lo and behold, to no great surprise, the speed displayed for your car is actually the car speed.
    Plus as we know in real life they use a speed gun/radar to monitor pit lane speed.
    So as I said, it is not a bug, but realistically the cars speedo should show gearbox/tyre rotation speed and pit lane speed governed by car speed.
    Unless of coarse a cars speedo these days goes by car speed. I'm thinking not.

Now in no way am I saying, ISI you have it wrong, it was just an interesting observation I made.
    4 weeks of holidays can make the brain think and ponder on things I normally wouldn't bother about.
    Just a bit of useless dribble to pass the time, sorry.
    Now back to our advertised program.....:rolleyes:

edit: I like the new penalties for pit lane speeding even in practice.
    Getting wrecked as you pull out of the garage by the yobbo who thinks it's his own drag strip gets a wee bit irritating.
    Especially in unlocked servers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2012
  8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Which series?

9. jedontrack

jedontrack Registered

Formula Renault and the meganes

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Ok, thanks, I'll have them checked.

I am assuming you don't have the flag rules disabled.

11. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

With Flag Rules on, I'm definitely getting a penalty in the Meganes following what I believe to be your procedure (limiter on and going slowly as I enter pits, driving fast in pits, then slowing down and putting limiter back on as I exit pits). I agree with Tim, you might want to make sure your Flag Rules are on. If they are, I guess we need some more info about how to reproduce this.

You are correct, at least for all the real-life cars I've tested this on. And, in fact, we did report it based on driven wheel speed in at least some of our older titles, like SCGT.

12. jedontrack

jedontrack Registered

Ok, thanks for looking into it. I will double check the flag rules and if it is still an issue I'll get back to you. Thanks again.