UI improvements

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Denstjiro, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I know this has been discussed before but i didn't want to run the risk it beeing unnoticed (as there is allot on the forums and things can easily be overlooked, for me anyways!)

UI improvements. i know, it is probably allready planned to update it but nonetheless i feel the UI could be much more intuative and advanced.

You will most likely see different idea's and pointers which each person posting in here so i'm going to cut it short to what i feel are the few main issues so far.

Less confusion in button placements. an intuative UI will have you press buttons and go through menu's without thinking about it within a few days. with rf2 allot of people are still taking the wrong routes, pressing exit by mistake, looking for things on the wrong pages etc.
    it could be abit more effortless in the browsing-department.

mod/Car-selection screen. the big tiles are great and all, but could they at least be moveable with the arrow keys or something? that would greatly increase the speed of selecting/checking cars and mods.
    Ive seen peeps asking for small tiles, covering the entire screen, all cars avail in one go, thats a good one too. but using the current system with only your mouse becomes a tedious exercise pretty quickly.

I think we could endlessly discuss placements, fonts, sizes, etc. but tbh i have no doubt that in the future we will see some good updates in the UI anyways so imo there's no real need for now to get into too much details. well for me anyways.

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Oh one more thing also allready mentioned elsewhere, the preview window in the main screen on a server. we got time-tables, chat-window and a now very tiny preview window.
    Of course you can open it, even go full screen with enter but it has allways been great in rf1 to be abe to see it all in one go, check times, sector times, follow chat and follow any action on-track at the same time.

With the surrent preview window this is no longer realy an option, only 'just' too small for it to be effective so it has become somewhat redundant.
    Especially important in leagues where they have live-stewards checking on things.

3. Gov

Gov Registered

The menu UI I can deal with, but please update the on track display like the black boxes and position tracker. The are a low res mess right now.

4. Luiz De Boni

Luiz De Boni Registered

Single and Multiplayer options should be inside the game...or at least we should have the chance to switch from one mode to other without having to leave the game and choose it at the launcher...

5. DavidG

DavidG Registered

For me, the current UI is a triumph of form over function. First, they must get rid of the silly track/car selection system. Imagine what that’s going to be like when you have dozens of cars or tracks installed. What’s wrong with a good old fashioned scrolling list; it’s a PC game, not a Playstation one? I’m quite glad that the showroom is on a different screen though, as it is a real pain in rF1, due to the length of time it takes for the 3D cars to load.

And please can we have a ‘Use all tracks with this mod button’ placed somewhere?

Personally, I was hoping for a more sophisticated track selection screen; one where we can view tracks alphabetically, or by country, or by type. Or how about being able to create new folders within the track folder and then drag tracks into these. So, for instance, you could create an ‘F1’ folder, into which you drop all the current F1 circuits. Then in the track selection screen you could find Silverstone either under ‘S’ Alphabetically, under ‘Permanent Road Tracks’ by Type, in the ‘England’ folder by Country, or by selecting ‘User Categories’ and looking in the ‘F1’ folder. Of course, with the packaging system this is never going to be possible, but don’t get me started on that…

There’s too much going back and forward. Why can’t there be small copies of the main game icons on all screens? Then you could go directly from one to the other, without having to keep jumping back to the main menu screen in between.

I have to agree with a post I’ve seen elsewhere saying that the tire temps display on the setup page is illogical and confusing.

1 person likes this.
  6. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

+1 DavidG the car and track selection will get super annoying later on. generally ISI should get rid of incremental selections. you should almost always get some kind of dropdown list. it's annoying to have to click through all the options you have, without even seeing how many options you have (like when choosing wich controller.ini you want to load, or when adapting the spring-rate of your suspension)
    The UI really seems to be aimed more for a console game than a pc game, and thats a bad thing!

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Bad ISI!

8. kyukyu

kyukyu Registered

Also the car selection method could be improved. At the moment there are all the cars together on the same level and I personally find it confusing; I found it better in RF1 where you could select first the team and then the car.

Also in the "all tracks and vehicle" mode I think it would be helpful to have 3 levels of selection: first the "series" of cars (like '60 F1, F.Renault and so on), then the team and then the car. I think it would make life easier when many mods are installed. Of course the "series" level should allow for multiple selections.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Personally I think ISI should ignore the UI and let the community create just as they did for rF1, afterall this is a "Modders Platform" and if ISI did everything there would be nothing left for everyone else ;)
    rF1 has some fantastic UI creations and I'm hoping those guys 'n gals move over to RF2 at somepoint.

Having said that I do agree the current bog standard one is very boggy, a few fixes and tweaks in the meantime during Beta could help but I'm prepared to live with it if not!

10. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

This is the question I asked here since some time, but no answer from ISI :(
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ke-in-rF1-in-the-Car-selection-HUD?highlight=

11. rer8

rer8 Registered

To be succinct: I agree with Luiz. Additionally, many players now use larger screens and the UI (mouse) movements become fairly large and time consuming... the take-away here should be less hunting, pointing, and clicking. Intuitive... please.

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I have to respectfully dissagree, i dont like modders ui's. not because they are not nice or i dont appreciate their efforts, but in rf1 i hated the fact that the UI would change with each mod used.
    Some of them where nice and fluid, others very intrusive and annoying or even plain buggy.
    So i usualy would try and disable the UI and go back to the default one by ISI.

I just want something that works well, is fluid and gets the job done. A defaul UI and desinged proporly is the best option in that respect i think.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

did you try the standalone UIs that were released? I always ignored the MODs UI and kept the one I downloaded installed, for the life of me I cant remember what its called though! Anyway it was great and very simple to use and showed everything that was needed, much better than the default rF1 UI.

14. rer8

rer8 Registered

I agree with Denstjiro,
    I like a little stability in the UI. There are certainly things I would like to see changed on the UI, but whatever ISI determines to be the best fit for the game should not be changeable.

Perhaps a skull and cross bones would be useful on those tabs that will cause a change requiring a new authorization and password would be nice. Realy, the current one is not all that clear. :)

15. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Umm..guys.

Check in the Single Player/Customised area. There is a seperate area for UI.

Theoritically I suppose you can swap between UI at will with that.

I would like a little tutorial on how that all works and I reckon we could see a HEAP of new ones.

16. rer8

rer8 Registered

The user interface could be improved by having:
    1. Accept (and other action) buttons in the same place on all menu screens.
    2. Cause the “Enter” to save names when pressed rather than chasing the save key with the mouse.
    3. The cursor prepositioned and active on pages where user is naming an item. (i.e. Controller setup; Car setup)
    4. Position all “Action” select keys centrally and vertically. (currently necessary to chase select buttons all over the screen)
    5. Cause the game to “remember“ how I like to access cars/tracks. (List view / Ribbon)

17. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Totally agree with this one. I click "Cancel" a lot when it changes sides with "Accept" for no reason.

It already does that, doesn't it? I selected "List View" since I installed and it always open with this option selected.

18. KaIIe

KaIIe Registered

Aside from the Cancel/Accept being in the same place in all the menus, I'd like too some kind of Accept button when selecting/tuning a vehicle for multiplayer (when joining a server). Pressing "Back" from that screen seems so strange, and I have no idea if my changes are in effect.

19. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

There has been a lot of discussion of the UI, but has anyone ever done a mockup to help ISI? I have experience in UI design so I whipped up the attached today. It is primarily a conceptual wireframe and I could take it much further if there is interest and I could also incorporate any comments as well. My concern is that ISI knows the UI needs to be re-worked but unless they have different folks doing the re-work then they may miss the boat again so surely ideas won't hurt. Of course, there are many ways to skin a cat and this is just one. There are many ways to get more information on a single screen and be able to control more settings from the track, etc. etc. etc. But if some basic principles can be adopted then hopefully we can get close. The main thing above all IMO although some may disagree is that we need to avoid turning new users off. If I had to, I would sacrifice features that would help me personally and instead prefer ISI to get new users over the hump while they are navigating a new product and if more advanced functionality is not as slick as it could be for advanced users then that is fine. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO COURT NEW USERS AT LEAST UNTIL THEY ARE ADDICTED :)

View attachment 8110