ISI, Don't go to E3 Please. Do not support ESA (ie SOPA)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZeosPantera, Jan 19, 2012.

1. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

There has been some 'discussion' in the Track Modding forum covering copyright on converted tracks ect and what you can or cannot do regarding this and will ISI become liable for unauthorised conversions and hosting them.Evidence of this today MEGAUPLOAD Shut Down so you better go check your download links lol lucky we use GameFront.
    1 example of lost imformation due to probly a handfull of accounts,good luck getting your files back up online

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
  2. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Well just think about EVERY mod you download for rFactor that includes menu music. I guarantee nobody got permission to include those songs so ANY file hosting site.. ANY is liable for a take down under sopa.

Here you ready? I'm going to have isiforums.net taken dow[​IMG]

There.. I and ISI don't have any rights to show these copyrighted images. But they are here and anyone that complains under sopa MIGHT convince a judge to pull the DNS plug on isiforums.net.

3. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

didnt Obama say he would veto it if it made it thru congress?

4. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Blantantly this is an attemt to be able to shut down site's like WikiLeaks but in the proccess people will suffer,and how would Obama get his music for his Blackberry

5. BigDuke6

BigDuke6 Registered

Bang first shot fired, Megaupload gone, so are hundreds of mods that were hosted there, tell me now how it doesn't affect us.

6. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Yes. And even the congressmen and senators who originally supported it are now backing down and some are even rallying against it.

SOPA and PIPA are dead in the water.

7. greyfox485

greyfox485 Registered

After reading the an article about what Megaupload was doing, I understand the reason for why it had to happen. It really doesn't have anything to do with SOPA. Megaupload was knowingly storing and distributing illegal software and other content. From what I understand, with SOPA in place, and site that just has a link to illegal content can be censored.

Think about them as an electronic "fence" of sorts. It's not tolerated with physical property, and shouldn't be with electronic property.

And don't get me wrong, I'm 100% against SOPA, but this Megaupload thing is completely different.

8. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

I think everyone here agrees with copyright and people should recieve there entitlements for there work, but i think the heavy handedness of this effects too many ordinary people,plus the dissruption it cause's to the internet on all fronts.
    I dont see how this is different greyfox.
    The issue is the overall loss of this approach is too much,just shutting an important part of the net down with no warning is wrong.If there going to do this they should be prepared to put administraters in place immediatly just as they would any other business that is essencial to continue the flow of bussiness,and just remove the offending accounts,simple,cos who knows what sites could be shut down just like that at great expense to the public.
    This is something they need to get right.
    OH some one previously asked how this effects free speech,simply because they want to ensure there own political documents remane unpublished on sites like wikileaks in the guise of copyright laws,therefore making it illegal to distribute goverment imformation cos it is basicly copywriten.They are using piracy laws to there own end and at our expense ,,read between the lines guys.They closed Mega merely to legitimise there agenda because yes it was corrupt 'maybe' ,but guilty untill proven i do believe. This is only a ploy to legitimise there agenda.
    Its not so much an issue of freedom of speech as such but freedom of imformation.

9. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

A bank has illegal deposits in it. Do you shut down the bank and take all the money?

10. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Love the video!

Especially love his comment at the near end of video: "...even if you're not a US citizen, you can go like, 'Hey guys, you are pissing off the whole world here!'" ;D

11. Bty

Bty Registered

There is the catch, they don't need a judge opinion. Under SOPA they can just pull the switch.

P.S: This is against any modern country constitution. Where every citizen has a right to a due process. Got to love this new US of A.

12. Bty

Bty Registered

For now yes, but they will come back. The only way to be sure is to FIRE any politician that was in favor of the new law.

13. RBRacing

RBRacing Registered

+1. Modding would be severely damaged or wiped out by SOPA, not to mention it being a drastic attack on internet neutrality and freedom of expression.
    Lets keep our internet free, and vote out the weasels who know nothing of computers or the internet, and invent such ridiculous ideas in the first place. Thankfully the bill is dead for now, but they'll try again later on, when they think the fuss has died down, so be sure and inform as many people as possible what certain politicians are up to, so they can be voted out :)
    Support decent companies like ISI, and boycott those that would seek to dumb people down or control them in any way.

14. STRZ

STRZ Registered

The "possible" Obama veto is just a trick to get the masses to vote for him, to gain his popularity so close to the election. If you reread history and look how much he already claimed and did in the end, you know that you can't thrust this man and that in the end just the opposite occurs of what he claims.

15. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

SOPA is officially dead as of today

Lobbyist bribery goes to waste for once, as Rep. Smith is forced to "postpone" SOPA indefinitely

http://www.dailytech.com/We+the+People+Populist+Protest+Kills+SOPA+Again/article23841.htm

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1ECBA_enUS467US467&aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=sopa+dead

OK everyone, it's over for now. Now let's get back to modding and racing :D

16. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Is PIPA gone too?

17. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Not yet, but soon I imagine.

18. RBRacing

RBRacing Registered

19. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Let's not get complacent, they can come back without warning, but hey, victory for common sense!

20. greyfox485

greyfox485 Registered

I guess what my point was that these guys were knowingly storing and distributing illegal content for a profit. That is a lot different than a site being blocked simply for have a link to illegal software. Think about it from the perspective of physical property. If there was a pawn shop out there that knowingly took in stolen goods and then tried to sell them for a profit, we would all say that is definitely illegal. Sure, they may also have a legitimate side of the business that benefits the community, but that is not going to stop the police from shutting them down and arresting the perpetrators.