Stereoscopic 3D vision thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigtabs, Jan 18, 2012.

1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

according to nvidia's FAW, no.

There forum page seems to add further...http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449999/acer-h5360-3d-projector-nvidia-3d-vision-and-dlp-link-glasses

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
  2. mmed

mmed Registered

It should work with Nvidia 3DTV Play if you have a Geforce card connected with a hdmi cable (1.4 or later). 3DTV Play will work for 14 days without an activation key.
    Sadly you are limited to 720P. 1080P will only run in 30Hz.

3. Addict

Addict Registered

Ahh, i need the 3DTV Play software...it costs 40$. I have to buy a glasses too, maybe it's better to buy the complete Nvision Kit...too much money not knowing if it will work well .

Thanks!

4. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

Don't buy the 3D vision kit to use with your projector. I have the Benq W1080ST (essentially the same as your 1070 but with short throw). I own a couple of 3D vision kits and they certainly do not work with the projector.

The glasses you need are 144hz DLP Link glasses. There are cheap ones made by Sainsonic that are a bit dark and not great but for the money just fine - less than a third of the cost of Benq's own brand ones. If you want to spend a bit more the Hi-Shock blue model is pretty good.

For a 3D driver you can either buy 3DTV Play, which is what I've successfully used with rFactor, or you can try using TriDef (it has a trial period so you can try it for free). Tridef has an advantage in that it can output top/bottom or side/side split 3D which our projectors can use - nVidia seem unwilling to support this in their driver.

What I recommend you do is buy a cheap 20$ pair of 144hz DLP link glasses and get both free trials of 3DTV Play and Tridef and give it a whirl, then you can make an informed decision on what to buy next. You might be able to pick up a cheap second hand 3Dvision emitter. Many people (like myself) bought 2 sets when they first came out as there was no other way to get 2 pairs of glasses at the time they launched. The second USB emitter is likely useless to these people.

5. Addict

Addict Registered

Thanks!, Finally I have bought the Optoma Z301 glasses and I will prove the 3TV Play demo software.The Hi Shocks Blue Heaven glasses seem to work very likely.

6. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Like the cartoon comment. Because if you're used to 3D, it's exactly how sims looks when you suddenly switch to 2D. It's crazy. Of course, you can eventually readjust to 2D with enough time, but when you're used to stereo 3D and you suddenly switch to mono, it's like some horrible looking 2D cartoon.

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

PaulG

Yes your right, I'm really looking forward to the oculus rift hd, I'm hoping this next version will replace my 3d monitors,
    The next step hopefully (oculus is 3d also)

8. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Is totally the future in the simracing

9. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Registered

Hope so , cant wait for this , any no in the first 1080P Version are Glasses supportet ?

10. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

1. Any guesses as to how much it will cost?
    2. Is there any indication of them developing a way to superimpose the users actual wheel and shifter into the scene? I think the green screen idea is the perfect way.
    3. Will it work with rF2?

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

1) apparently around 300 US dollars
    2) no, (you look at the graphical wheel etc & remember where yours is
    3) yes

12. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I'm getting stoked on the Rift idea. But watching a lot of YouTube videos makes me think the nausea problem could be a real downer. How many of you early adopters are feeling queasy after an hour of racing? If the motion sickness is a problem I wonder if it can be downgraded by using the Rift with 3D turned off just to get the surround FOV.

13. PaulG

PaulG Registered

It would still be a problem with 3d disabled. It's basically the brain going into panic mode and rebelling because motion isn't matching movement. The Oculus guys claim it's an evolution thing so we'd throw up when we ate something poisonous (to prevent death).

Thankfully, the new CES build eliminates this by switching to low persistence OLEDs. Which means you're not viewing any outdated images when you move your head. As a result, it's almost completely blur free. And judging by the many CES impressions, even people who got terrible simulation sickness with the dev kit could use this without issue. So the future is incredibly bright:) Can't wait to trade 3D vision for the consumer Rift.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Has anyone tried 3D in racing sims with the new NVidia 344.11 drivers?..

With the 2nd last drivers, 340.52, I had crosstalk even if I lowered the depth, the contrast and the Lightboost setting on my monitors to very low, even 20% on all three. Prior to driver 340.52, I could use around 75% (maybe more) on all 3 settings (depth, contrast, Lightboost) and have pretty much no crosstalk whatsoever.

Has anyone had similar issues with the previous drivers (340.52), and has anyone tried the brand new 344.11 drivers yet?

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Nvidia released a "Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames" setting in their brand new driver. It helps cut out VR headset input lag from Nvidia's side (was over 50ms before, they want it under 20, it should now be at about 25).

The new Nvidia driver also gets rid of the standard SLI 1 frame of input lag in virtual reality 3D mode that regular 2D SLI always has in every game (the user can't get rid of it, even if they tried setting pre-rendered frames to 1). How do they get rid of this for 3D? Well, while in SLI combined with 3D mode, the GPUs run in parallel mode - basically one GPU is running on it's own for the left eye, and the other GPU is running on it's own for the right eye, - essentially each is a single GPU powering a single monitor (eye) - this is why SLI and Nvidia 3D Vision 2 almost always has near perfect GPU scaling and is why the framerates of SLI in 3D mode are almost always about 2x of single GPU mode. This is why SLI and 3D are a perfect match, and now Nvidia has carried that over to VR headset as well.

SLI and 3D mode (Nvidia 3D Vision or a VR headset) are an absolute perfect match, they are practically made for each other for the following 2 reasons:

1. You almost always get perfect GPU scaling and therefore 2x the framerate, regardless of each games' SLI profile (or lack of), SLI compatibility, etc. because both GPUs are separately running each eye (AKA in parallel) - basically two separate GPUs running side by side rendering their own individual monitor (eye), rather than working together to render 1 monitor (eye) - sort of a dual, side-by-side single GPU mode.

2. The point above (#1) means that 3D users running SLI can successfully, truly run at pre-rendered frames = 1. 2D SLI users are always stuck with the extra full frame of input lag even if they set pre-rendered frames to 1. The pre-rendered frames setting does not work for 2D SLI users, even if you change it to 1 it actually does NOT change to 1 in the "back-end". However,
    3D SLI users can truly enable a "pre-rendered frames=1" setting - getting rid of the forced/irremovable 2D SLI full frame of input lag - which is otherwise only available for single GPU users :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2014
  16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

brilliant, not home right now, but if any one notices any difference with new driver (&dk2 ) please post here (-:

17. JUANCHIOOO

JUANCHIOOO Banned

I have blusens led tv 24P and passive polarized glasses ... ... can I use with The rFactor2? ....... As I can do?

18. earok

earok Registered

I'm having some trouble getting tridef to work with either of the rfactor games (at least the demos). While I've had luck on my main computer, on this computer (Asus F552E laptop, windows 8.1, Radeon 8670M 1GB card) I have these issues

- RFactor 1 demo, doesn't render in stereoscopic mode, when I quit TriDef states "This game did not use Direct 3D 9, 10 or 11. It may not be compatible with TriDef 3D Ignition"
    - RFactor 2 demo in 32 bit mode, exactly as above
    - RFactor 2 demo in 64 bit mode, doesn't load, won't go any further than the launcher. In addition these error messages appear in the application log:

Faulting application name: rFactor2.exe, version: 1.8.8.0, time stamp: 0x54503d93
    Faulting module name: TRIDEF~4.DLL, version: 6.3.9600.17278, time stamp: 0x53eebd22
    Exception code: 0xc0000142
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000ec0b4
    Faulting process id: 0x11fc
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d00c60692a0cd3
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Bin64\rFactor2.exe
    Faulting module path: TRIDEF~4.DLL
    Report Id: c883eeed-7853-11e4-be79-7824af0d9df3
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: rFactor2.exe, version: 1.8.8.0, time stamp: 0x54503d93
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17278, time stamp: 0x53eebd22
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000001419a
    Faulting process id: 0x11fc
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d00c60692a0cd3
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Bin64\rFactor2.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: c81fcc34-7853-11e4-be79-7824af0d9df3
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

19. blanes

blanes Registered

Yes it does all sound brilliant - on paper - because unfortunately this new tech is not yet implemented by Nvidia and we are still waiting on them to release the VR-SLI drivers promised when they released the Maxwell chipset gtx 970 & 980 back in September. It is coming up to 3 months since that release and it makes you wonder have they run into some problems implementing it and did they jump the gun announcing it ?

I hope not and that all is well because I have SLi Gigabyte G1 GTX970's so the vr-sli driver release cannot come soon enough !

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, but I believe even at the moment the GPUs still run in parallel mode during 3D.