Ports used for server hosting

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by saboteur, Jan 18, 2012.

1. saboteur

saboteur Registered

Hi,

I have seen several threads regarding the ports used for hosting a game, but they all seem to have different answers. Can we hear from someone at ISI the minimum ports (detailing port # and type) that must be forwarded to get the game hosting to work?

Some threads mention TCP port 443, surely this would not be needed? Kinda rules out hosting any other HTTPS content on the same server.

Thanks!

2. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

Port 443 is not needed, though it is mentioned in the multiplayer.ini file as necessary for the matchmaker service.

Otherwise, look in the multiplayer.ini file for the needed ports.

Alan

3. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Make sure youcansee your ports open on your router.
    or if through a Modem Add to Firewall.

*ProSimRacers- PSR

4. Jeremy Clyde

Jeremy Clyde Registered

Be nice if they added a Direct IP option, would help a lot of people wanting to do private races not bother with port forwarding.

5. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

Direct IP is still going to involve forwarding of ports. As for the ports mentioned by Mitt above, I don't use 50789, only the other two, and it works just fine. The 5079 port is not mentioned at all in the multiplayer.ini file.

Maybe it's something particular with Mitt's machine that makes it necessary to forward 5079.

Alan

6. worthy1066

worthy1066 Registered

Just a heads up on some guys still having trouble with creating servers and accessing it on their computers . My driving buddy came on for the first time last night online after being busy doing wife chores and found my server no problem after putting in the usual 3 ports (54297,54347 and 443 ) .
    Now before hand I had created a test server to see if antone could join ,but nobody did which made me think there was something wrong so out of frustration I was trying everything to make it work and one of the last thing s before my mate came on I clicked LAN CONNECTION on the main console and managed to get into my own server which worked but still thought nobody could join my hosted game.That was until he joined last night ,made sure he was ingame and clicked the LAN button .To my joy I got in straight away and spent the following hours driving round with relief on my face .So if anyone is having problems ,it may be an option to try using that button if nothing else has any success.

hope this helps guys

7. Spadge

Spadge Registered

Here's how I do it:

Forward range from 34297 to 34497, protocols TCP/UDP on the router (open them in your firewall if you have one of those too).

The following lines cover it in ...userdata\player\multiplayer.ini:

WAN Query Port="34297" // range is 1025 - 65535
    WAN Join Port="34397" // range is 1025 - 65535

You don't need to forward port 443; that's traditionally the https port and is only used for client authentication, AFAIK.

If you are having connection problems, please use TCPView before asking for help.

8. rer8

rer8 Registered

This looks like as good a place as any to ask this question. I have successfully hosted online races on a single computer on several occasions. Last week I had such significant lag that I began to explore other options. I took a second computer and set it up as a host machine, and the lag was equally excessive when hosting from it. I know, where's the question?

Has anyone had experience with a ramdisk.... was the game experience satisfactory... If I can run a ram disk and eliminate the lag, the answer for me will be to purchase ramdisk software and 8GB or more ram to run on my race machine... If in fact a ramdisk is a viable option, will I be able to host on a single machine or will I need a separate machine. In either case my intent would be to run from my home hs internet connection. Please provide your thoughts and observations.

For me the race experience is everything... too much lag is unacceptable and if I am unable to remove that from the experience, I will abstain from hosting... So please, pass this information on to all of us in the community so we can learn from your experience.

9. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Hi
    How much bandwidth do you have?
    I harbored 2 rFactor, rFactor 1 hotlaps with 5 + for both websites.
    A minimum bandwidth of 3.7MB to 5.5MB.
    No slowdown
    The server:
    E5200
    3GB of ram
    Windows XP Pro 32 bit
    3 PCs connect to Netgear switch themselves on housing and CPL all connect to the box :)
    No lague in games with 15 pilots.

Translation by Google