Change of grip levels in a race-> can ISI explain?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Guy Moulton, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I thought at first I was just over-doing it in races and spinning because I acquired a case of nerves and a heavy right foot. Now I know that it's something else and everyone seems to have it in a race. Grip levels in the race are drastically different. The car balance is different and even when the tires warm up there is less grip in the race session than there is in the practice or even warm-up sessions. In the pubbies you can see it because drivers are spinning right left and center- worse than pubbies normally are!

Is this a Beta bug (in which case, no big deal) or is this some tire dynamic I haven't heard of? Either way- has anyone else noticed and will this be fixed soon?

2. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Are we there yet
    Are we there yet
    Are we there yet
    Are we there yet
    Are we there yet
    Are we there yet
    Are we there yet

3. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

More like a dynamic track and tires. The reason you are seeing guys spin off is that every time you leave the garage, or start a race, you need to take a few laps to get heat into the tires. Lots of guys pushing to hard in the first laps and spinning off because the tires are cold. Track conditions have to be heeded as well. A fresh track, say after a rain shower in the previous session, will have less grip than one that has been rubbered in.

This is one of the biggest differences when compared to other sims. It takes more time to get up to speed than before.

4. RJNL

RJNL Registered

Especially track conditions play a huge part in the grip levels you experience. I've seen a decrease of around 3 seconds in my laptimes on a track that has rubbered in compaired to those set on a green track. The first few laps are really really slippery and tricky not just due to the cold tires but mostly due to an overall lack of grip on the surface of the track. I do wish ISI would build in an option to drive on a track that is already rubbered in so you can set a quick hotlap instead of driving 10 pointless laps just to get some rubber down on the surface.

5. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

You have to "Un-official" options..

1.) Offline - let the AI rubber the track in for you. Use time acceleration to speed up the process

2.) Online - Wait for the other guys to rubber in the track for you! Perfect time to get a mug o beer, cup o coffee or tea, text GF that your going to bed(LOL!), ect..

6. RJNL

RJNL Registered

Yes let the AI do my dirty work for me! Never thought about doing that, thanks for the tip.

7. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

:cool:

8. B00Ts-SA

B00Ts-SA Registered

+100 :D Thanks great tip

9. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

Yesterday, I was doing a race weekend in a public server with the FRenault 3.5 and I did noticed the change in track conditions. I made several runs with starting fuel at 10 laps and it did get lighter in my opinion, after 4/5 laps.. I could go flat-out at corners I had to lift before..

That said, when starting the race of 16 laps I had fuel for 19 laps. Almost twice as much. I think my lack of speed in the first couple of laps wasn't down to the tire temps (because I think this isn't working correctly yet) or to the track conditions.. I think it was the weight of the car because of the doubled fuel load.

Thats also something to take into account.

10. Fordprefect

Fordprefect Registered

Lol did you actually read what he said?

11. un_fumeta

un_fumeta Registered

Good idea that of the AI. Thanks!

12. rml64

rml64 Registered

.....so thats what time acceleration is for....lol. Great tip.

13. imonarefactor

imonarefactor Registered

Does 'next session' do the same as time acceleration? Can I change the speed of time acceleration?

14. B00Ts-SA

B00Ts-SA Registered

Besides the AI leaving rubber on the track which is great, you can start seeing the racing line.

I am still useless ;) so I wont tell you my time but default car settings I improved by 5seconds per lap and started to be more constant not flying off on every other lap.

It also stopped me changing my G27 wheel setting thinking that could be the problem. I can now start looking at setting up the car and learning to drive.

One more thing I go out when the AI go out no time acceleration and you can feel the track improving which also teachers me how to drive on cold tyres and a green track.

So thanks again for the great tip.

15. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

I just like to grind it out myself. I like when I can feel the momentum to go faster and faster builds up, but the letting the AI doing the dirty work was actually a nice workaround.

16. blazko

blazko Registered

LOL I did that yesterday .

17. gniewko

gniewko Registered

@brabham67 bad idea with the beer, as your laptimes will not increase even if there is huge amount of rubber on the track :D

18. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

You guys are too funny. ROFLMAO

19. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I don't get it! Your all asking for more realism. Now you got it your looking for a go arounds! Do it like you should and learn how to drive on a green track with cold tyres.