UI Disappointment

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by FL!P, Jan 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. FL!P

FL!P Registered

I really love what we've got so far in the simulation! But I have to say I'm a disappointed with the UI. There's a number of little things I always thought should have been improved in rF1 and they still haven't in rF2. :(

Text fields, for example. Every time rF gives me a text field (like to enter a password, save a new setup or a controller profile, etc.) it should put the focus on that field, so that I could start typing immediately. Instead, I almost always have to click in the field before I can start typing. I would also expect rF to bind the Return key to the validation button (like every application does in every dialog), so I could press Return when I'm done typing instead of having to use the mouse. It should also assist me by remembering correctly the last thing I typed or opened. For example if I load, modify, and want to save a controller profile, rF will put into the profile's name field the name of the last profile I saved. I would expect the name of the last profile I opened, so I could save my changes without having to type anything (except pressing the Return key). Also at the moment, if you press Delete when the insertion point is at the end of the field's content, instead of deleting the last character as expected, rF deletes the whole contents of the field. So even if just wanted to change the last couple of characters (I like to number the different versions of my setups) I have to type the whole name again.

Or take lists, like in the servers screen. In any application that uses lists, you probably have grown to expect some common behavior, like the ability to use the up and down arrow keys to move the selection, or to press Return to validate your selection. So why not doing what everyone expects, instead of forcing us to always use the mouse? Similarly, when you refresh the list, wouldn't you like your current selection to remain selected and in view, instead of being completely lost? When I leave the server I'm on because our admin changes the mod and has to relaunch the server, I'd like that server to remain selected in the list, even after I hit Refresh (assuming it's still present in the list), so all I'd have to do is pressing Return to join the server again. And I'd also expect rF to remember its password (at least until I quit it), so again I'd just have to type Return in the password prompt.

BTW, talking about the servers screen, I was delighted when I noticed the Filter button. Until I clicked on it, that is. I expected something smart and useful. Something that would allow me to filter the list based on the mod, or on the track, or by typing some part of the server's name, and so on...

I know the point of rFactor is to be a racing simulator (and it does that part beautifully), but it's not a reason to neglect the basic UI stuff. Please make it user friendly. Make the UI elements behave like people expect them to behave from their experience with similar UI elements in every other application. In other words, please put in the UI the attention to detail you put in the simulation instead of making it feel like the result of a late afterthought thrown together in a hurry (there's not even a UI section in the Problem Reports subforum!).

Thank you, for listening, ISI!

2. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Hi,

about linking the "Return" to the validation button: that can be done easily (as you can also link the Esc to the "Exit" button). So you may expect to find that in custom UIs.

About the rest of the stuff i think nothing of that is implemented so can't be done even if are creating a UI and you want to, but may be we can configure filters at our will. It's something I haven't checked yet though.

Regards

3. Stream

Stream Registered

I totally agree to those UI behaviour problems.

Other that that I think the UI layout is functional, but far from optimal.

4. mkilner

mkilner Registered

I have to agree the UI again is something of a let down, i cant put my finger on it, maybe just lacks style or functionality, but a UI should never leave you thinking which button do a press next...as i found out in a couple of the menus!

5. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

The resolution of the UI is awful on a 19x10 monitor. The assets should be made for at least this size then scaled down as required.

6. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Well, that's a tricky thing. I mean, lots of people use monitors with 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio. Is hard to make an UI look good in all the cases unless you use different assets for each kind of ratio or you're able to scale both UI elements and the backgroud properly.

Regards

7. jomaho

jomaho Registered

I don't care for the tire temps graphic in the garage UI. It's too small and the layout seems harder to decipher to me. It looks like there's room to move it more to the center and lay it out more horizontal than vertical (like rF1). After all, the tire temps are a major factor in developing a setup. And... what's with the icons to the right of the tire temps graphic? I know this is a BETA and my comments are merely my observation. Thanks ISI!

8. Wawotsch

Wawotsch Registered

Comparing the interactions needed for rF1 vs. rF2 when practicing and working on the setup. As an example we are working on the suspension:

rF1
    1. Click "Race"
    2. Drive
    3. Press "ESC"
    4. Make changes (we came back to suspension menu)

rF2
    1. Click "Back"
    2. Click "Race"
    3. Drive
    4. Press "ESC"
    5. Click "Garage"
    6. Click "Suspension"
    7. Make changes

It takes almost twice the amount of interactions to do the same cycle. Two changes would improve usability:

1. Put "Race" button on every menu page
    2. After "ESC" open the last active menu page

1 person likes this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

On the other hand... nice to be able to compare setups easily.

10. CezarF1

CezarF1 Registered

rFactor 2 MUITO FRACO DEICHOU A DEZEJAR MUITO RUIM NAÕ TEM ONDE REVERTER A FORÇA DO VOLANTE E O MESMO FICA PUCHANDO PARA OS LADOS E NÃO TEM COMO PILOTAR NÃO RECONHECE UM VOLANTE TÃO ATUAL Q É O T500 da THRUSMASTER NÃO TEM PISTAS MODOS MUITO COMPLICADO MUITO FRACO NÃO RECOMENDO A NINGUEM COMPRA DECEPÇÃO TOTAL ISSO É UM ABIÇURDO VENDER UM PRODUTO Q NÃO ESTA COM QUALIDADE SÓ TEM UMA LINGUAGEM VC ESTA ONLINE DENTRO DO SERV QUER VER AS COMFIGURAÇÃO DO SERV OU SEJA QUANTIDADES DE VOLTAS QUAIS AS AJUDAS PERMITIDAS ETC E NÃO TEM OPIÇÃO PARA ISSO EM FIM MUITO RUIM rFactor 2 TANTO MISTERIO PARA LANÇA UMA MERDA DE GAME FALTANDO TUDO BANDO DE LADRAÕ TENHO DITO