Anoyed with the Rumble strips pulling you into them ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jameswesty, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Go to the controller INI down to force feed back and reduce the "rumble strip pull factor"

Rumble strip pull factor="1.50000" // How strongly wheel pulls right/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.

:)

2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

it is quite wrong news.
    Are FF efects still faked?

3. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I think it only does it for 'faked' rumble strips. I believe all of the rumble strips in the tracks so far are actually modeled. I tried this out last night. I couldn't notice a difference between it set to 1.5 or 0.0.

4. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Great advice Jameswesty!! Really, superb!

But, have you noticed that by default, Rumble strip magnitude is set to "0" which means, fake rumble strip effects effectively are disabled? :)

5. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

no I actually thought they felt good and realistic, didn't seem to pull me in so much that I couldn't correct... I was actually impressed with the way they feel.

6. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Ditto

7. UFAModding

UFAModding Registered

No they are not faked. The feel in your wheel is streamed live from a real race car somewhere in the world.

Seriously tho, of course it's faked, it's a game. They have pretty much nailed the feel of them though, much better than any other game ever has including rF1.

8. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I think they are separate things the game still suports the option for effects if you want to put them on
    But rumble strip pull is seperate to that.

I belive the The pull aspect is not the vibration but just how much the curb makes the ffb turn the wheel into the strip

also by default all effects are off I believe and the FFB is coming through the front wheels and rack , I think the game also does some FFB based of the overall G's aplied to the whole cars body ( if you flip the car in the air you will notice ffb going from side to side)

9. Frosty888

Frosty888 Registered

lol this post made me lol just ? how many people in here eva run on a race real life race track or a really great go kart trackin real life
    the curbs in real life so what this game does pull u in and make the car behave funny and ruff and also lose felling when u curb hope or ride them . so sayying that its to much and it over done and its not real in fact its perfect each racetrac has rummble strip curbs and each one is diffrent as is in game well dne is great work keep it coming i just hope ther is a way to stop track cuts

10. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald Registered

I just wish I wouldn't have to fear for my wheel every time I clip a rumble strip.

It's almost as if the 'faked' grass collision map is overlapping some of the rumble strips.

11. JWRPayne

JWRPayne Registered

I think you are missing what MaXyM is getting at. rF1 used an artificial (read: 'fake') 'base effect' that was deployed through the FFB whenever a rumble-strip was driven over in game. The frequency and amplitude of this base effect was calculated based upon car speed, wheel position on the strip... etc, hence the presence of an 'effects' option under rF1's FFB settings.

rF2, however, draws the FFB data directly from the simulated forces passing through the steering mechanism of that car that you are driving, which is based upon the specific type, geometry and part of the rumble-strip that you are driving over. This gives a much more realistic experience, away from the same, odd rumbling that rF1 fed back through the FFB for every type rumble strip, no matter what it's size, nature and so on.

EDIT: Relevant post by ISI's SJ.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
  12. FOG>Daheee

FOG>Daheee Registered

Its not real the way the rumble strip will pull you in. I have raced in real life and there is no way a rumble strip pulls you in like that. We in fact used to try and hook our front tyres just over the rim of the Rumble strip on some corners so it would pull you round but not just riding it as normal.
    Can anyone confirm that changing this value works?

13. Frosty888

Frosty888 Registered

lol love this post all i have to say is in real life rumble stripps or curbs will pull u in or be slippry or be very ruff in real life just depends on the curb rumble strip as it been a game its not fake they feel quite good and realistic . but must say this ripple strips have a part and porpuse on a race track and the rf2 does that with no problems

14. navorsky

navorsky Registered

+1 on this..

I hear a lot of people complaining about the FF Effects too strong, and afraid their wheels "Die". Seriously, i dont know what kind of wheel/how many hours per day you guys play, but those highend wheels ( FANATEC/G25/G27/ TS500 ) are made for this. They are supposed to rumble and deliver these effects. Im not a race expertise , but i raced a couple times in a real track, i can tell you, you must respect the rumble strip. Its there to remember you of the track limits. It almost screams at you "HEY HEY HEY MR, THIS IS YOUR LIMIT, THATS IT, DONT GO FURTHER THAN THAT"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
  15. Kinsman

Kinsman Registered

HI GUYS!

Today I spent most of the day re-configuring rFactor 2's force feedback setup.

I think I've found a good compromise between feeling how the car handles and having your wheel explode or your arms ripped out.

I made two files:

KINSMAN'S FEEL THE FORCE (C) Feedback Settings for G25/G27 - LIGHT
    http://www.mediafire.com/?g9h5b0ecdphqafq

KINSMAN'S FEEL THE FORCE (C) Feedback Settings for G25/G27 - MEDIUM
    http://www.mediafire.com/?r6y5o8ye3z0bylx

Now I'm not going to FORCE FEEDBACK (excuse the pun) but of course I would appreciate some if anyone has anything to add/offer.

Please note that each file requires a different recommended in-game force feedback setting to work as desired.

Good luck with it and I hope it works well for you.

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

is this a new trend? digging up ancient threads? its like back to the future lol (so many people that stopped posting, wish they were here...)

17. coops

coops Banned

+1

18. tjc

tjc Registered

+1

Me too, I rather like them. :)

19. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

+1

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

all curbs and cars are different in real life so I cant comment on every curb and car, but some really really do pull you in. Ive been in F2000s and 1600s that we used to use some of the curbing on the outside on entry. And you actually had to anticipate the moment you got on the curb before hand or else you run the risk of just being sucked into it and flying off track. It was pretty shocking at first, the wheel and car would just instantly out of nowhere bam!! would turn hard into the curb you had to make sure you were really really quick and you had to anticipate it and sort of get ready for it as you approached it.

Just another one of MANY examples of something that is actually a bigger deal to the driver in real life than it looks to us spectators watching on tv (or even onboard videos), and therefore shocks or confuses many people in the sim racing crowd (sometimes to the point where some of us even judge the sim as being unrealistic/too easy/too hard)/wrong). A prime example of something that looks to us from a spectator point of view to be so minor, easier or sometimes even non-existent, when in the real world its DEFINETELY there.

But most people dont know better so you cant blame them either, thats the problem with this sport and translating it into a no holds barred as realistic as possible sim, its VERY hard to relate to (especially when it comes to the very small details that can make cars on the limit so tricky that you cant see from watching on tv, not even from an onboard cam). Unless you are either a real driver or have telemetry data to scientifically prove what the car is doing its very hard to judge the translation from real life to hardcore sim in this sport when it comes to the smaller details.

theres some settings you can adjust around the forums here that really helped with the G25 problems :) they have been posted in a number of threads, have a look :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012