How many FPS are you expected for rF2 Final RELEASE??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by grumete, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Bty

Bty Registered

I7 = i5 when it comes to gaming, don't waste your money in it, buy a better GPU with what you save.

Unless you are into 3 way sli/crossfire setup due to motherboard design for the i7.

A good old i7 is still a monster if you overclock it properly, buy a better cooler and go for it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
  2. Bty

Bty Registered

Some non reference cards are better then the other, especially if you are into overclocking, so do your homework before you buy. But if you pick the right one it's always 580 > 570 > 560 ti 448> 560 ti > 560

If you want SLI make sure the game support it properly.

3. saloei

saloei Registered

Well said. No lowering of game experience due to low hardware specs. My game plays fine with all settings maxxed.

4. JWRPayne

JWRPayne Registered

Agreed. The only real benefit of the i7 architecture is having hyperthreading capabilities, which has little to no use in modern games or simulators. Unless you plan on doing some serious video encoding/compression or a lot of multitasking at once, get an i5 2500K and save your money for a GPU that's up to it's standards of performance.

As Bty said, it will be worth while waiting to see to what extent rFactor2 supports SLi. Likewise, the degree of performance scaling through SLi is not necessarily guaranteed with an in-house engine such as ISI's. Waiting for some post-release benchmarks could save you a lot of money.

5. Nizmo

Nizmo Registered

I didn't communicate well...I already have an 17-920 and was wondering how GTX 570's pair up with it. The 920 is still doing great for me, even at stock speed. I do have a Zalman 9900 and should probably get this thing overclocked soon. I'm not too big on overclocking. What I think I need to do is just be patient for another month or three. New nVidia cards are due out soon, and should wait for them.

BTY, you mentioned the 7970 but I like to stay with Nvidia. Less problems overall, and specifically for the sims I use. ATI's don't handle cloud drawing in FSX (Flight Sim) well where my 285 renders them effortlessly. Thanks anyways.

6. jorge salgueiro

jorge salgueiro Registered

Your post wasn't constructive, you were just bashing on people not having the best possible hardware.
    I can't afford toys (like ps3) because I love simracing.

For your knowledge I'm a member of a Sim racing team and normally I participate on 2 to 3 championships at the same time. I make my team skins and I'm doing a rfactor track. So don't tell me I'm not a SimRacer!!! My effort to be a simracer probably is 10x bigger than yours because I life on a country with many economical problems. Not everybody has infinite resources.

You want something constructive? Try "I love the way ISI does it's software with excellent physics and graphic that CAN be adapt to different budgets". You can buy a 2000 euros machine? Great, put it all at the maximum but don't came here telling that guys with 700 euros PC's can't be simracers!

You are the one that has a grudge against poor people, get over it!

7. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Something weird happened to me, because I was getting a pretty decent framerate with all options max when I tested the game first, and when I went to try again now I just get like 45-55 with a 2500k@4Ghz and a 560Ti, which seems quite low

8. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

I dont give a hoot what my FPS is. It's the fluidity of the graphics that is important to me, not a number in the corner of my screen.

9. StopPt

StopPt Registered

but if that number that you dont care about is low there is no fluidity

10. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Not necessarily true. 30fps can be smooth as long as the frames are displayed in a well timed order with no fluctuation. Of course higher frame rate give you a bit of overhead, but still won't be smooth if the timing is off.

11. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

I saw someone saying i7 = i5 for games. that's almost true if the i5 has 4 cores just like i7. most of i5 have 2 so...

12. JWRPayne

JWRPayne Registered

The non-mobile 2nd generation i5 CPU architecture is primarily quad core (I would know, I own one). See here. I think you're thinking of the i3 processor, or the 1st generation i5s, which were primarily a dual core...

13. Bty

Bty Registered

http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/
    Unless you have some eyes problem, you can easily spot the difference between 30 and 60 FPS.

Don't confuse mobile CPU whit desktop CPU.

Blame stupid Intel CPU naming.

14. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

oh damn sorry since my last computer were my laptop i7 I'm not familiar with all versions hehe

in that link I can see clearly the difference between 60 vs 120.

15. JWRPayne

JWRPayne Registered

That's not what brabham67 is getting at. A constant 30FPS is smooth and easily playable/drivable in a simulator - GPL drivers were doing it for ~10 years before the 60FPS patch was released a while back.

It's large fluctuations in FPS, or experiencing FPS well below 30 that can cause issues for 'fluidity', as killerwatt put it.

16. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Maybe I should have been more clear. Yes, I agree that a steady 60FPS is smoother than a steady 30FPS. However, a steady 30 fps, while well below my personal threshold of an acceptable frame rate, is preferable to a frame rate of over 100 with stuttering.

17. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

This. You beat me to my own punch! LOL!

18. Bty

Bty Registered

Of course different problems like stuttering are a PITA.

19. JWRPayne

JWRPayne Registered

To be fair to yourself, it wasn't exactly clear what was being said.

The clarify the point being made: of the 2nd generation Intel Core CPUs, the i7 2600K/2700K is approximately equal in performance to the i5 2500K for the purpose of gaming and/or general computer use.

There are some exceptions to this rule, but these are generally either not worth the extra money for a 2nd generation i7, or are not relevant with the current state of technology (but may show an advantage a few years down the line).

20. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

\

agreed. I do hope that with some optimization over the course of the beta that FPS numbers will increase, even if it is by a small amount. Or at least the stuttering that some users are seeing is reduced. I have yet to find an explanation, but when I first started playing with the beta I had horrible stuttering which has since disappeared. Not sure what changed on my system, as I'm using the same game settings I have used from the start.